How do you feel about real-looking humans in Super Mario Odyssey?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
It's the first time I've seen a Mario game with real-looking humans in it :

rvvlv2ferpfslxrjipio.gif

Not too sure if they were in previous Mario platformer games (highly doubt it though).

I'm wondering how you guys feel about them in Super Mario Odyssey. It just feels weird to me. I don't mind it too much but I would have preferred if they weren't included in the game.

To be honest it's kinda weird.I mean yes Mario is a human but not a real looking human.But if you kinda think about it it's basically a rip off of some Sonic the Hedgehog Games.I never like the idea some being set in real life and now that's how I feel about Super Mario Odyssey.Heres a photo I found that kinda explains what I mean on how there similar.image.jpeg

Reactions: Duffy and 18
Well, to be fair, I think that picture Dark Link posted has a big point. Plus, it's hilarious :)

Reactions: Dark Link
To be honest it's kinda weird.I mean yes Mario is a human but not a real looking human.But if you kinda think about it it's basically a rip off of some Sonic the Hedgehog Games.I never like the idea some being set in real life and now that's how I feel about Super Mario Odyssey.Heres a photo I found that kinda explains what I mean on how there similar.View attachment 17010

But the sonic characters are just large talking animals while super realistic humans appeared alongside them. With Mario Odyssey, the humans still have a cartooney look to them.

And dude... New Donk City is just one area in the game. I'd hardly call that a rip-off...

Interesting design choice.

I think it's perfect useless theory fodder. While most people in the city are super realistic, Pauline has a more cartoony vibe to her. Maybe visits to the Mushroom Kingdom begin to mess with your appearance. Magic does exist so it could be possible? Payline may have cisited Mario a couple time which caused some changes? Maybe the designers at Nintendo just don't care for consistency? Mario sufferes from Dwarfism? The possibilities are endless.

I think it's just there because they are in the human world. Although it's odd how these mario is so short (5 feet, searched it lol) meaning these humans are very, very tall... The humans are really there to add to the game and get us wondering though.

I think they fit perfectly by not fitting. The uncanny and weird impressions of real human on the stylized Mario world... I think that's what they were going for, and it works pretty well.

Reactions: Dowhat?
Honestly the real life characters do awfully look like the Sonic Adventure game real life characters just like @Dark Link stated above it's probably because Nintendo is starting fresh since it's the first time this has happened for the Mario games and the first time his hat has turned to life.

Y'know I've said this before, but I'll say it again here. If you notice, New Donk City is on a planet Mario visits. So Mario in a sense is an Alien to them.

Reactions: Shmickle
I think there are a few ways of looking at it. I like to look at it as a cool design choice and an interesting peek into marios strange world. I've found watching playthroughs of this world so interesting. There's always been strange people/creatures in Mario, but they got weirder and more normal. It's really crazy but super enjoyable to me.

Maybe something is wrong with me, but i never realized that pauline was very different from the other people, considering her height. The height difference for mario makes me think more “lol mario is a strange short person” then “wow its really weird that these people are hyper realistic.” Also, these people are kinda weird, because they wear super bland looking clothes. One brags that her hat is like paulines, but its super gray and boring looking compared to paulines red one.

Reactions: Rosey
Yeah, I wondered why Nintendo did this.I mean, its pretty cool. Mario visited a new place which has realistic humans in it. And Mario is 5 ft, so those people must be 7 feet or something. Weird thing is, Pauline still kind of looks like the people, but still somehow a bit like Mario's cartoony design. All this was just added to get us thinking...

Back