How far can Comedy go?

• Thread starter Bobcam7!
  • Start date
Bobcam7!

Bobcam7!

*Consuming itself*
Towns Folk
A subject that I feel has gained more traction in the year of 2017 with the YouTuber Count Dankula getting arrested for hate crimes after making a joke about Nazis and the entire Pewdiepie vs the WSJ clusterfunk is: Do you think that there is a line that shouldn't be crossed with comedy (ie: Jokes about the Holocost, rape, terrorist attacks...) or do you think that darker humor on things like that are alright?

Personally, I think that these types of jokes are okay dependent on the context and I don't have an issue with them. I honestly think that nowadays people will take offence to things that they are in no way related to just to be "offended". But hey, just my opinion.

The thing is that not everyone is ok with the same subjects because not everyone is concerned.

For example if you're not homosexual, you have less chances to be triggered by a homosexual joke. And I'm not saying all homosexuals get triggered by these jokes, neither that they should or shouldn't. I'm just saying that it's obvious it has less chances to trigger non-homosexuals. Same with other subjects, this was just an example.

Personally, I'm ok with good jokes, even those about subjects I'm concerned with. But I hate every bad joke about any subject.
For example, if someone says "I'm tired" and someone says "is it because you're black/homosexual/a girl/jewish/american", ... well that does not even qualify as a joke from my point of view, that's just stupid and just makes the person feel like people only remember that about them. But I myself made jokes about French people who can't play MH, because that's justified, even though I'm French myself.

Reactions: 18
Humor is a steed, of which its raisin' shows as it's ridden. Whether it's noble or a... Mule... painted white, it's clear as soon as it's seen.

Really I'm not so quickly offended when a comic stands up and says anything, they're there to say all kinds of crap for the audience's amusement. Same with cartoons, sitcoms, and as of this year, politics.
That's not the same as recognizing offense. Sometimes I spot something particularly insensitive, aggressive, or even just brainless, that I let loose a brief nervous giggle at the joke's own expense.

Who knows? Bad humor can still be good depending on where it's used, it all depends on how it's pulled. Just don't dance on the lines between "Dark Humor" and "Hate Mongering." People react.

Don't do black comedy with random people, it only makes you look stupid. Make dark jokes only with your friends who won't get offended or if they do, will let you off with one round of 'That's not cool.'

As for comedians, if they are known to be black comedy, people can decide for themselves whether or not they want to see them.

Like Hayleia said, the joke needs to be good. Most people who think they're funny just look dumb and desperate trying to be offensive.

Reactions: MindzEye and Hayleia
if someone says "I'm tired" and someone says "is it because you're black/homosexual/a girl/jewish/american"
Worst part is, that's the extent of humour in most classrooms nowadays.

Reactions: Hayleia
Worst part is, that's the extent of humour in most classrooms nowadays.
Classroom humour has always been awful. Kids learn one new naughty word and use it all the time.

Reactions: Mizunil and Bobcam7!
Honestly, it really depends on how the joke is implemented. However there are some subjects that to me are just untouchable. However on the shaky topics it really does depend on the joke, and on how the joke is implemented by the comedian. In one instance it might be okay, but in another it might not be.

Well I believe that these jokes shouldn't be said around children or around people because there are a lot of people who get offended nowadays and not everyone has the same specially dark humor which is the worst from all humor and always leads to people getting into arguments or in fights also here are some few examples:
  1. One person calls another person a Jew for doing whatever it takes for money or because they have big noses.
  2. Or when you call someone fat just because they eat a lot even though they are skinny.
  3. You call that Lady a terrorist for wearing a hijab
  4. You call him a N word because he's too black
I enjoy joking around all the time ,but these simple jokes or facts sometimes offend a person depending on him/her and might lead into people to have a low-esteem like I said nobody is the same we all have different reactions to things and we look different than another so we shouldn't be going around and telling each other jokes because you never know if it might offend someone or not that's why always think before you say something.

Reactions: 18
The limit to humor? In my view, as long as it does not negatively impact others, whether directly or indirectly.

If you make a black person or the black identity the butt of a joke without you being black, you're helping further the systematic oppression black people face, and thus, are harming many individuals. Just as an example.

When your humor harms others, people you don't know, people who haven't done anything to deserve it; it's no longer humor, it's hate speech.

Meanwhile, making Nazis the butt of your jokes is perfectly okay, because they are individuals who seek to further oppress minority groups. Key difference there.

@Undine I agree with really all of it, except for really your last statement. The Nazi's are an interesting subject to discuss because you are right, they seek to oppress basically everybody that aren't the "aryan race". However I think that is precisely why we should not joke about them. Nazi's should be taken with a tone of seriousness, to remember all the horrible things they have done. Also, Nazi's are not completely gone yet, as we have the uprising of the "Neo-Nazi's" as shown by the events in Charlottesville. So I do not think Nazi's should be joked about, as we still have to remember all the horrible things they have done.

If you make a black person or the black identity the butt of a joke without you being black, you're helping further the systematic oppression black people face

What about laughing at the jokes an "oppressed group's" person makes? Is that racist? Also, what if the joke is non-oppressive, just something that is acknowledged to be part of a culture? (Jokes about Asians being good at Math or obsessed with grades, for example.)

It really depends on the joke and on how the joke is implemented.

What about laughing at the jokes an "oppressed group's" person makes? Is that racist? Also, what if the joke is non-oppressive, just something that is acknowledged to be part of a culture? (Jokes about Asians being good at Math or obsessed with grades, for example.)
For the former, I personally don't like it either way; but a homosexual making jokes about all homosexuals is still not nearly as problematic as a heterosexual (who is the dominant class, and thus the more represented and powerful) making them.

For the latter, again, less harmful, but can still be harmful; if the jokes about "Asians being smart" become too widespread, they become a stereotype (which they already are in this particular case), and people *do* get discriminated against if they don't live up to the positive stereotypes and expectations about them; something we see in men who don't fit stereotypical qualities of masculinity, for example.

heterosexual (who is the dominant class, and thus the more represented and powerful)
For someone trying to be a Nice Guy TM, you're not doing very well. Are you sure these are your true personal views or just ones you got on the bandwagon for?

I'm not sure what you mean lol; I'm far, far, far from being a "nice guy™" :p

(And FTR, I'm not heterosexual, either, I'm bi/pansexual)

And, that's actually a fact, nothing to do with personal feelings. The mere fact thag queer people even have to "come out" as such, or that people generally assume that men will like women and women will like men is the clearest piece of evidence of this.

Reactions: 28142
And FTR, I'm not heterosexual, either, I'm bi/pansexual

And, that's actually a fact, nothing to do with personal feelings. The mere fact thag queer people even have to "come out" as such, or that people generally assume that men will like women and women will like men is the clearest piece of evidence of this.
Are you sure you actually are and it's not simply because being pansexual seemed the cool thing to do?

I dunno, some make more of an event about it than they need to. This is in a society where people can't admit that they think about sex at all, straight or not.

There's nothing wrong with assuming that. The majority of people are straight. People assume that cats are lazier than dogs too. Surely every cat isn't, but assuming it's as the majority isn't a terrible thing to do. Not everything is oppression lmao. I guess not making a meal of coming out and pretend you're the dominated, oppressed class (that you even used the word 'class' like gay people are a different set of beings is ridiculous) makes you feel less special.

Are you sure you actually are and it's not simply because being pansexual seemed the cool thing to do?
Hmmm, maybe it's a cool word, why not :b I've been involved with guys and girls though, *and* have little preference for either; whatever I am, it's not straight.
I dunno, some make more of an event about it than they need to. This is in a society where people can't admit that they think about sex at all, straight or not.
I only brought it up since you seemed to assume I'm heterosexual instead of randomly saying "Hey I'm pansexual", so, uh.
There's nothing wrong with assuming that. The majority of people are straight. People assume that cats are lazier than dogs too. Surely every cat isn't, but assuming it's as the majority isn't a terrible thing to do. Not everything is oppression lmao.
There is, though. And there's a pretty big difference between assuming everyone is straight and assuming cats are lazier than dogs, to the point they aren't comparable. Feel free to take a read; https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heteronormativity
I guess not making a meal of coming out and pretend you're the dominated, oppressed class (that you even used the word 'class' like gay people are a different set of beings is ridiculous) makes you feel less special.
I'd like to see where I'm making a meal out of mentioning that, honestly. You're acting like I came in and went "I'm a glorious pansexual person and all heterosexual people should feel bad"; and hey, maybe I would feel less special if you didn't make a bigger deal of me mentioning my sexuality than lol.

I dunno, some make more of an event about it than they need to.
is about you.
You're the one who said 'coming out' with quotation marks, so you certainly do feel that it's an event.
I'd like to see where I'm making a meal out of mentioning that, honestly. You're acting like I came in and went "I'm a glorious pansexual person and all heterosexual people should feel bad"; and hey, maybe I would feel less special if you didn't make a bigger deal of me mentioning my sexuality than lol.
I never even asked you about your sexuality, you brought it up. I never even asked about sexuality. This started with you saying that doing something as simple as laughing at a joke furthers the oppression of a group, UNLESS you're the one holding the victim card, then you get a free pass. And I asked if it was okay to laugh at someone making fun of their own group when they're inviting you to, or if that hurts your poow widdle feewings as well. Learn to back yourself up objectively instead of resorting to 'lols' and wordy wandering.

I'm also unsurprised that you're one of those people who read a Wikipedia page for three minutes on a topic they had to Google and then consider themselves to be enlightened.

Here is my scale

1) Not too offensive, but don't use that joke anywhere professional.
2) So-So, just don't use this anywhere but around your friends.
3) This is triggering! Please watch where you use this or don't even use it!
4) This will get you fired! Don't even do it to your friends! Just don't use it!
5) Don't even speak of this nasty joke!

Back