How to EV Train in Pokemon X/Y (Guide)

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
What is an EV? - EV stands for 'Effort Value' and it determines the stats your Pokemon will have when leveling up. Every time your Pokemon defeats another Pokemon in battle during single player gameplay, it gets an EV or EVs.

Each Pokemon has a maximum of 510 EVs while one stat can't cross a maximum of 252 EVs (was 255 in previous gen games). 4 EVs are equal to +1 stat at level 100. So let's say you defeat a Magikarp 252 times without Pokerus or items. The Pokemon will get 252 EVs in its Speed stat because Magikarp emits 1 Speed EV.

Note: Pokerus and Power Items (or Macho Brace) speeds up EV training.​

Here is an example of what a Pokemon looks like with and without EVs (see the difference) :

Infernape (with and without EVs)

Details :
  • Nature: Jolly (+ speed / - sp atk)
  • Level: 50
  • EVs: 6 HP / 252 ATK / 252 Speed
  • IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31 (learn more about IVs here)
ev and non-ev.png

How to EV Train Pokemon in Pkmn X/Y

Super Training

A new way to EV train that was introduced in gen 6. See how to EV train via the Super Training method.

Horde Battles

In gen 6 (Pkmn X/Y), Game Freak introduced Horde Battles. Horde battles make EV training faster when compared to previous gens because you're basically knocking five birds down with one stone.

Note: Scroll down to the "Important Information" heading to understand everything.​
  1. Add a decent level Pokemon to the front of your party that knows a damaging move that hits all wild Pokemon.
  2. Add another Pokemon that knows the move Sweet Scent (can be merged with #1).
  3. Make sure the Pokemon that you want to EV train has Pokerus (optional).
  4. Give each Pokemon (that you want to EV train) a Power Item or a Macho Brace.
  5. Find a horde of Pokemon that emits a certain EV in the wild by using Sweet Scent in grass or water.
  6. KO the horde and repeat step #5 until you're satisfied with the EVs your Pokemon have.
Make sure that EXP Share is turned ON so that all Pokemon in the party gets EVs.

The Calculation :

Using Power Item and Pokerus (Speed stat for this example) :​
  1. Pokemon and Pokerus: 1 (Pokemon) x 2 (Pokerus) = 2 EVs
  2. Power Item and Pokerus: 4 (any Pokemon) x 2 (Pokerus) = 8 EVs
  3. 2 EVs + 8 EVs = 10 EVs
  4. Horde (there are 5 wild Pokemon in a horde): 10 EVs x 5 = 50 EVs
Therefore, the Pokemon got 50 Speed EVs for this ONE horde battle. Replace "1" (first line) with the number of EVs that the Pokemon gives off, to calculate for others.

Using Macho Brace and Pokerus (Speed stat for this example) :
KO'd Pkmn + Pokerus: [ 1 Speed EV (Pokemon) x 2 (Pokerus) ] x 2 (Macho Brace) = 4 Speed EVs
Horde: 4 Speed EVs x five Pokemon = 20 Speed EVs

Therefore, the Pokemon got 20 Speed EVs for this one horde battle.

List of damaging moves that hit all targets :​

Acid
Air Cutter
Blizzard
Boomburst
Bubble
Bulldoze
Dazzling Gleam
Disarming Voice
Discharge
Earthquake
Electroweb
Eruption
Explosion
Glaciate
Heat Wave
Hyper Voice
Icy Wind
Incinerate
Land's Wrath
Lava Plume
Muddy Water
Parabolic Charge
Petal Blizzard
Powder Snow
Razor Leaf
Razor Wind
Relic Song
Rock Slide
Searing Shot
Self-Destruct
Sludge Wave
Snarl
Struggle Bug
Surf
Swift
Synchronoise
Twister
Water Spout

Important Information :

Power Items :
  • Power Weight: EV(s) the Pokemon emits + 4 HP EVs regardless of the KO'd Pokemon
  • Power Bracer: EV(s) the Pokemon emits + 4 ATK EVs regardless of the KO'd Pokemon
  • Power Belt: EV(s) the Pokemon emits + 4 DEF EVs regardless of the KO'd Pokemon
  • Power Lens: EV(s) the Pokemon emits + 4 SP ATK EVs regardless of the KO'd Pokemon
  • Power Band: EV(s) the Pokemon emits + 4 SP DEF EVs regardless of the KO'd Pokemon
  • Power Anklet: EV(s) the Pokemon emits + 4 Speed EVs regardless of the KO'd Pokemon
How to get these Power Items in X/Y? - Each power item costs 16 BP at the Battle Maison in Pokemon X and Pokemon Y. A lady sells them to you at a counter.

Macho Brace :

The Macho Brace is a held item that doubles the amount of EVs that a Pokemon gets. For example, if you KO a Pokemon that emits 2 Speed EVs, your Pokemon will get 4 Speed EVs instead of 2.

How to get the Macho Brace in Pkmn X/Y (video tutorial) :

PokeRus :

PokeRus is a virus in the game that doubles the amount of EVs that the Pokemon gets from defeating a Pokemon. Yes, it stacks with the Power Items or Macho Brace. If a Pokemon is infected with PokeRus, a symbol will be displayed on the Pokemon's info screen.

Keeping Track of EVs :

Switch to the Super Training section on the bottom of the Nintendo 3DS screen to see what EVs your Pokemon has. Unfortunately, it does not reveal the numbers, however, it tells you what stat has max EVs.

tracking evs.jpg

How to Reset or Reduce EVs :

Yes, it's possible to reset EVs to 0 or reduce them. To reset the EVs to zero, you need a reset bag (reset bags are earned during super training or walking in the game with the Super Training screen active).

List of EV Reducing Berries :
  • Pomeg Berry - makes the Pokemon happier and reduces 10 HP EVs.
  • Kelpsy Berry - makes the Pokemon happier and reduces 10 ATK EVs.
  • Qualot Berry - makes the Pokemon happier and reduces 10 DEF EVs.
  • Hondew Berry - makes the Pokemon happier and reduces 10 SP ATK EVs.
  • Grepa Berry - makes the Pokemon happier and reduces 10 SP DEF EVs.
  • Tamato Berry - makes the Pokemon happier and reduces 10 Speed EVs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mizunil, KJ, CJ and 6 others
Locations of hordes where I train (use Sweet Scent to battle the horde) :

HP

293.png

Name: Whismur (common)
EVs: 1

...and

590.png

Name: Foongus

...and :

164.png

Name: Noctowl (not common)
EVs: 2

Attack

069.png

Name: Bellsprout (common)

...and :

023.png

...and :

Name: Ekans

070.png

Name: Weepinbell (common)

...and :

024.png

Name: Arbok

Defense

074.png

Name: Geodude (common)

...and :
632.png

Name: Durant

SP Attack

054.png

Name: Psyduck

...and
eLlGFNd.png

Name: Vanillite

SP Defense

187.png

Name: Hoppip (common)

Speed

396.png

Name: Starly (not common)

...and

434.png

Name: Stunky (common)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mizunil, SaToRi, milesose and 1 other person
Thanks a lot, this was really helpful :)
Also, Pokemon with good IV's will have more better stats if you combine IV breeding and EV training :)

Reactions: 3dsatackman
Thanks, I was curious as to where I could find each pokemon to farm ev's from. :)

like how you take out zubat for speed evs cause everyone knows Zubat's nest = Whismur's nest.

great guide.

Reactions: Marc
About resetting EV's, Perilous Juice does it as well. Kee Berry + Maranga Berry = Perilous Juice. Sure Reset bag is much easier to get because the berries take days to grow but it is another way that you didn't mention.

Thanks very very helpful now i'm pretty sure i know everything about evs your guide was very helpful and i appreciate that you put so much work into it now my pokemon will be stronger then ever when OR/AS come out.

Thankyou. I'm gonna start breeding pkmn again because I'm spending too much pc on buying them LOL. This'll be useful and I won't have to get off of pedia. :D

What is an EV? - EV stands for 'Effort Value' and it determines the stats your Pokemon will have when leveling up. Every time your Pokemon defeats another Pokemon in battle during single player gameplay, it gets an EV or EVs.

Each Pokemon has a maximum of 510 EVs while one stat can't cross a maximum of 252 EVs (was 255 in previous gen games). 4 EVs are equal to +1 stat at level 100. So let's say you defeat a Magikarp 252 times without Pokerus or items. The Pokemon will get 252 EVs in its Speed stat because Magikarp emits 1 Speed EV.

Note: Pokerus and Power Items (or Macho Brace) speeds up EV training.​

Here is an example of what a Pokemon looks like with and without EVs (see the difference) :

Infernape (with and without EVs)

Details :
  • Nature: Jolly (+ speed / - sp atk)
  • Level: 50
  • EVs: 6 HP / 252 ATK / 252 Speed
  • IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31 (learn more about IVs here)

How to EV Train Pokemon in Pkmn X/Y

Super Training

A new way to EV train that was introduced in gen 6. See how to EV train via the Super Training method.

Horde Battles

In gen 6 (Pkmn X/Y), Game Freak introduced Horde Battles. Horde battles make EV training faster when compared to previous gens because you're basically knocking five birds down with one stone.

Note: Scroll down to the "Important Information" heading to understand everything.​
  1. Add a decent level Pokemon to the front of your party that knows a damaging move that hits all wild Pokemon.
  2. Add another Pokemon that knows the move Sweet Scent (can be merged with #1).
  3. Make sure the Pokemon that you want to EV train has Pokerus (optional).
  4. Give each Pokemon (that you want to EV train) a Power Item or a Macho Brace.
  5. Find a horde of Pokemon that emits a certain EV in the wild by using Sweet Scent in grass or water.
  6. KO the horde and repeat step #5 until you're satisfied with the EVs your Pokemon have.
Make sure that EXP Share is turned ON so that all Pokemon in the party gets EVs.

The Calculation :

Using Power Item and Pokerus (Speed stat for this example) :​
  1. Pokemon and Pokerus: 1 (Pokemon) x 2 (Pokerus) = 2 EVs
  2. Power Item and Pokerus: 4 (any Pokemon) x 2 (Pokerus) = 8 EVs
  3. 2 EVs + 8 EVs = 10 EVs
  4. Horde (there are 5 wild Pokemon in a horde): 10 EVs x 5 = 50 EVs
Therefore, the Pokemon got 50 Speed EVs for this ONE horde battle. Replace "1" (first line) with the number of EVs that the Pokemon gives off, to calculate for others.

Using Macho Brace and Pokerus (Speed stat for this example) :
KO'd Pkmn + Pokerus: [ 1 Speed EV (Pokemon) x 2 (Pokerus) ] x 2 (Macho Brace) = 4 Speed EVs
Horde: 4 Speed EVs x five Pokemon = 20 Speed EVs

Therefore, the Pokemon got 20 Speed EVs for this one horde battle.

List of damaging moves that hit all targets :​

Acid
Air Cutter
Blizzard
Boomburst
Bubble
Bulldoze
Dazzling Gleam
Disarming Voice
Discharge
Earthquake
Electroweb
Eruption
Explosion
Glaciate
Heat Wave
Hyper Voice
Icy Wind
Incinerate
Land's Wrath
Lava Plume
Muddy Water
Parabolic Charge
Petal Blizzard
Powder Snow
Razor Leaf
Razor Wind
Relic Song
Rock Slide
Searing Shot
Self-Destruct
Sludge Wave
Snarl
Struggle Bug
Surf
Swift
Synchronoise
Twister
Water Spout

Important Information :

Power Items :
  • Power Weight: EV(s) the Pokemon emits + 4 HP EVs regardless of the KO'd Pokemon
  • Power Bracer: EV(s) the Pokemon emits + 4 ATK EVs regardless of the KO'd Pokemon
  • Power Belt: EV(s) the Pokemon emits + 4 DEF EVs regardless of the KO'd Pokemon
  • Power Lens: EV(s) the Pokemon emits + 4 SP ATK EVs regardless of the KO'd Pokemon
  • Power Band: EV(s) the Pokemon emits + 4 SP DEF EVs regardless of the KO'd Pokemon
  • Power Anklet: EV(s) the Pokemon emits + 4 Speed EVs regardless of the KO'd Pokemon
How to get these Power Items in X/Y? - Each power item costs 16 BP at the Battle Maison in Pokemon X and Pokemon Y. A lady sells them to you at a counter.

Macho Brace :

The Macho Brace is a held item that doubles the amount of EVs that a Pokemon gets. For example, if you KO a Pokemon that emits 2 Speed EVs, your Pokemon will get 4 Speed EVs instead of 2.

How to get the Macho Brace in Pkmn X/Y (video tutorial) :

PokeRus :

PokeRus is a virus in the game that doubles the amount of EVs that the Pokemon gets from defeating a Pokemon. Yes, it stacks with the Power Items or Macho Brace. If a Pokemon is infected with PokeRus, a symbol will be displayed on the Pokemon's info screen.

Keeping Track of EVs :

Switch to the Super Training section on the bottom of the Nintendo 3DS screen to see what EVs your Pokemon has. Unfortunately, it does not reveal the numbers, however, it tells you what stat has max EVs.

How to Reset or Reduce EVs :

Yes, it's possible to reset EVs to 0 or reduce them. To reset the EVs to zero, you need a reset bag (reset bags are earned during super training or walking in the game with the Super Training screen active).

List of EV Reducing Berries :
  • Pomeg Berry - makes the Pokemon happier and reduces 10 HP EVs.
  • Kelpsy Berry - makes the Pokemon happier and reduces 10 ATK EVs.
  • Qualot Berry - makes the Pokemon happier and reduces 10 DEF EVs.
  • Hondew Berry - makes the Pokemon happier and reduces 10 SP ATK EVs.
  • Grepa Berry - makes the Pokemon happier and reduces 10 SP DEF EVs.
  • Tamato Berry - makes the Pokemon happier and reduces 10 Speed EVs.
Also there is another method that involve secert bases. Search it up online but there a QR code a guys secert base that has a bunch a blisseys. Each give a lot of defense or special defense(can't remember which :( ) There are similar secert bases like this and all you have to do is fill up your base slots with the desired EV pokemon and you might not even finish all of them in one day before reset! Of course some other ways are more efficient and some people like it more.

Thank you very helpful

...and people say Pokémon is for children.

EV is much easier now on this generation, but we still got to spend a lot of time breeding for the right nature/ability, hunting for shinies and all... I like Pokémon, but I'm not addicted like most people because I don't want to spend so much time to create the "PERFECT TEAM".

You can say my Pokémon is Inazuma Eleven. When I want a char for my team, I know where he is and I just need to defeat him and he'll join me. "EV" training is almost the same, with mini-games, but costs money :p

Thanks a lot, this was really helpful :)
Also, Pokemon with good IV's will have more better stats if you combine IV breeding and EV training :)
Just a response for anyone, unless you hack your game it is impossible to controls the IVs (Individual Values) any Pokémon has as they are generated randomly. (Perfect IVs are 31 points in each stat)

...and people say Pokémon is for children.

EV is much easier now on this generation, but we still got to spend a lot of time breeding for the right nature/ability, hunting for shinies and all... I like Pokémon, but I'm not addicted like most people because I don't want to spend so much time to create the "PERFECT TEAM".

You can say my Pokémon is Inazuma Eleven. When I want a char for my team, I know where he is and I just need to defeat him and he'll join me. "EV" training is almost the same, with mini-games, but costs money :p
Hahahaha! That is so true though! Everybody is like Pokemon is stupid! It is so simple! So childish! If only they knew *sighs*
Plus you still have make the prefect team and moves to rid of checks and make counters! So confusing and yet so many people playing Pokemon don't know it!

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
Here are stats.
Tyranitar is a speed poke and wants to outspeed everything so it can get a hit before it dies. So, it is the Max. of 252 in speed stat and 252 attack to hit hard. Choice Scarf once you select a move, you can only use that one move until you switch out but it makes your speed 1.5x! So, you could outspeed a lot of pokes and then kill them before they kill you :sneaky:
An example of EVs

Wow , verry useful.Now I can EV training my skitty!

For Speed, I go on Route 8 just above Ambrette Town; in Route 11, there are way too many annoying Nidoran hordes and I hate their sounds for some reason >.< Great guide though, this should be useful.

One tip to some people: if you feel EV Training is time consuming there is one little trick just to make it that tiny bit faster - if you go into Options and set the Battle Effects to 'OFF', the animation for the moves you use will not appear and all you will see is their HP go down and them fainting. Granted this only takes away a couple of seconds, but every little helps :p Especially when it's like the Nosepass or Geodude hordes who have Sturdy, or if you are only aiming to take out a certain number of the horde. If you like the Battle Animation, remember to turn it back on once you're done :3

I believe if you save before you use the reset bag, use the reset bag, it will tell you how many EV's the pokemon lost, and soft reset it.

Is it 510, or 508? On Showdown, it's 508

This helped so much!
I legit no idea how to EV train before XD

Reactions: 24460 and Marc
Back