How to EV Train in Sun and Moon (Guide)

• Thread starter 3905
  • Start date

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
So as many of you have noticed, horde battles which were introduced in X and Y are not in Sun and Moon. Horde Battling was probably the most simplest way to EV train a Pokemon alongside the convenience of Super Training, however there is a different way to EV train your pokemon in Sun and Moon.

There are three ways of going about this, through SOS battles, Festival Plaza, and Pokemon Pelago.

SOS Battles
sosbattle1.jpg

A new feature added in Pokemon Sun and Moon allows for wild Pokemon to call for help when it starts to get low on health. The summoned Pokemon yields double EV points rewarded upon defeating it, hence chaining these calls for help will continuously grow the EV points rewarded. A chain of 7 Pokemon through SOS battles is enough (with a Power Item and Pokerus being factored in).

To increase the chance of an SOS battle occurring you want to pick up some items called Adrenaline Orbs. This item causes wild Pokemon to call for help more often.

There will be times where the Pokemon you are training with calls for help and it doesn't get any, and you end up 1 on 1 with the Pokemon that you are trying to train with. For those turns, if you don't want to KO the remaining Pokemon just yet, you can just use up a turn using a status healing item such as Antidote and it won't use up the item because it won't work and you will waste a turn for the wild Pokemon to call for help.

Here are some suggested EV training areas and Pokemon:

HP - Maile City Outer Cap (Grimer)
Attack - Route 1 (Yungoose (day), Spinarak (night))
Defense - Route 12 (Geodude)
Special Attack - Hau'oli Cemetary (Gastly)
Special Defense - Route 2 (Drowzee)
Speed - Seaward Cave (Zubat)

Suggested items to make the Pokemon you are EV training hold:

Macho Brace - Doubles the number of EV points gained per battle

Power Anklet - Speed EV Growth per battle
Power Band - Sp. Def EV Growth per battle
Power Belt - Defense EV Growth per battle
Power Bracer - Attack EV Growth per battle
Power Lens - Sp. Attack EV Growth per battle
Power Weight - HP EV Growth per battle

This method is believed to be at the same, or perhaps even faster, than Horde Battle EV training in Gen 6.

Festival Plaza
pokemon-sun-moon-festival-plaza-reveal__medium.jpg

There are special bounce houses in the Festival Plaza which you can obtain through ranking up your festival plaza. You can rank up each bounce house to rank 5 (version exclusives). The higher the rank, the more EV values the Pokemon earns upon completing the training. The 5 star bounce houses yield courses which can maximize one EV point completely, however each course can only be tried once a day.

Another thing Festival Plaza has is an Effort Shop which allows you to purchase food which raises your Pokemon's base stats. These foods each boost different stats by a lot, so it's worth to check out. There are also secret menu items which can reset certain EVs back to 0 if you choose to upgrade your Festival Plaza to a rank which has the Effort shop carry those items.

It is also to be noted that the facilities in the Festival Plaza require FC to use, so if you do plan on using them make sure you have a good amount of FC on hand.

Pokemon Pelago
pkmn_pok__pelago.jpg

In Pokemon Pelago, once you reach 90 Pokemon in your PC box, you can build the island called Isle Evelup. This island allows you to train up 6 different pokemon at once. You can select which stat you want the Pokemon to train in and let it train there as long as you like. Without any Pokebeans it can take up to 31 hours to reach 252 EVs in one stat, so I recommend putting in lots of Pokebeans to speed up the EV training process. With Pokebeans, you will get 4 EVs for every 15 minutes that pass.

This method is much more effective if you want to EV train your Pokemon passively so if you plan on going out all day but need some EV training to be done this is probably the method for you.

This is all the information I have learned about EV training in Sun and Moon so far. As you can see there are a lot of options this time around when it comes to EV training your Pokemon in this game. I hope this thread helps, and thanks for reading!

Reactions: AricAttack
I'm guessing the Festival Plaza and Pokemon Pelago methods work when Pokemon are level 100, right? Just confirming because I want to level the legends I have to 100 for IV training.

I'm guessing the Festival Plaza and Pokemon Pelago methods work when Pokemon are level 100, right? Just confirming because I want to level the legends I have to 100 for IV training.
The bounce houses should work at any level, but the effort shop I'm not too sure about because I haven't gotten it yet. Pretty sure they can be any level though

I'm maybe a little late, but whatever

Anything related with EVs is for any level

IV training is the one that you have to be at level 100

Reactions: 3905
Great thread, I wondered what the point of SOS battles was. Double EV chaining, sweet.

Reactions: 3905
Back