How to install homebrew on new 3ds xl?

• Thread starter Dj2
  • Start date
Dj2

Dj2

A Wild Ridonkleberry
Towns Folk
recently i've had some trouble trying to install homebrew on my 3ds. so if you know any tips or hints then please share them with me.

USE 3DS.GUIDE!!! There is no other way to go. Do not trust any video tutorials. While they may be good quality videos and have a correct guide, the homebrew process is very system specific. Also what firmware do you have? If you have 11.4 there is no way to get CFW or Userland homebrew without a hard-mod, or another already CFW'd 3ds. If you are on anything below 11.4 you are good, though.

There aren't really any tip or tricks to it. As long as you follow the guide EXACTLY you should be fine.

It depends on the current problem your facing. Which Homebrew exploit are you doing and what is your 3DSs firmware?

It depends on the current problem your facing. Which Homebrew exploit are you doing and what is your 3DSs firmware?

I think he was just wanting some general tip and tricks. I did my best to do that. But, yes, Homebrew is VERY model, version, and everything else specific. If @Dj2 want's help he'll need to give a lot of very specific information. I am not an expert, but am fairly well versed in homebrew/CFW, just don't ask me any coding or development questions.

To be able to help we need lots of information.
What is your system model. O3ds, 2ds, "New" 3ds, or "New" 3ds XL? (This is actually very important.)
What system firmware are you currently running? (Also very important. If you are on 11.4, you are most likely out of luck.)
What exploit or CFW are you trying to run?
What error are you experiencing?

And depending on the answers to those questions there will still be more that need to be asked. Best bet for getting help, is to give as much specified information as possible.

Reactions: Eric Cartman
Don't download it. Nintendo are recently banning a lot of people that play online with their 3DS with custom firmware/people that play pirated games online in waves.

Actually, that only applies to CFW users, and not userland homebrew, as long as you don't edit save files. There are also a few steps you can take to (hopefully) prevent a ban. If you don't play online multiplayer the ban won't matter anyways.
Some people also think the ban wave is over, but it hasn't been proven.

From what I gatheredn the ban was due to using unauthorized software while online, wasn't it?
Which means that
  • using userland homebrew is perfectly fine (except cheating and stuff obviously)
  • using a CFW is fine
  • pirating games is actually fine too, even online, as long as you're offline when installing them, which is completely stupid
Good job Nintendo, banning non-pirates and not even banning all pirates in the process.

From what I gatheredn the ban was due to using unauthorized software while online, wasn't it?
Which means that
  • using userland homebrew is perfectly fine (except cheating and stuff obviously)
  • using a CFW is fine
  • pirating games is actually fine too, even online, as long as you're offline when installing them, which is completely stupid
Good job Nintendo, banning non-pirates and not even banning all pirates in the process.

Anyone claiming to know what causes the ban is lying. I have not cheated, or edited save AT ALL, especially not while online and I was banned. Currently there are lots of ideas as for what causes the ban, but no one knows for sure. There's just lots of speculation.

The tips I mentioned are also just ideas as to how Nintendo MIGHT be getting their information. Some people who followed these tips were still banned, and others who didn't follow them were not banned. They are just an overall good idea to try and help protect yourself if you want to get into homebrew and CFW.

Well there was this post on that gba site /threads/update-regarding-the-recent-3ds-banwave.471781/page-389#post-7354886
which basically says that things that get you banned is using unauthorized software online. Basically, even if you don't cheat, don't edit saves, especially not online, as long as you ONCE were online while running whatever homebrew cia, you can be flagged. And the ban doesn't necessarily happen at once, Nintendo most likey flagged a lot of people then banned them all later.

It makes sense when you know that you were banned but some Gateway users (the kind that is still on MSET on 4.5 without even knowing what a cia is and only launching actual game roms and not any unauthorized software) were not.

So... you can homebrew your system, but you can't go online (you can, but you'll probably get banned)? I don't see why homebrewing the 3DS is good if you can't get online...

You can do tons of stuff. You can pirate any game, BUT DON'T DO IT! You can stream wirelessly to a pc without a capture card, you can take screenshots, play homebrew applications including emulators, use roms and rom hacks, and tons of other cool things.

So... you can homebrew your system, but you can't go online (you can, but you'll probably get banned)? I don't see why homebrewing the 3DS is good if you can't get online...
According to the post I "linked", "homebrewing" is fine, going online on an homebrewed or CFW'd 3DS is fine, what is not fine is being online while using homebrew.

According to the post I "linked", "homebrewing" is fine, going online on an homebrewed or CFW'd 3DS is fine, what is not fine is being online while using homebrew.
I know, but in my opinion it is useless if you can't get online
(You can, but you have a chance of getting banned)

I know, but in my opinion it is useless if you can't get online
(You can, but you have a chance of getting banned)
Did you even read what I wrote though?
You can go online.

Did you even read what I wrote though?
You can go online.
Oh, I didn't get it at first :p

Can CFW and homebrew your 3DS and still use your 3DS online. BUT you have to toggle an option in your 3DS settings.
1.Go the 3DS System settings
2.Go to internet settings
3. Go to the spotpass tab
4.Press on the "Sending of System" information ta5. When you press it on the bottom screen will say "Send system information via spotpass". On that screen you just click on "No"
5. After that you're set.

The reason you have to do that because since the ban wave resent reports from the community are saying that Nintendo is receiving our Activity log data via spotpass and Nintendo is now looking for signs of CFW use in the users play data by looking for Applications that aren't supposed to be their at all. Though to also avoid ban turn off the internet connectivity when not being used and while using homebrew or CFW applications that don't require internet. Better to be safe than sorry.

@Eric Cartman We al already stated that, plus a few other things and settings to turn off. Plus you can't get CFW on 11.4 without a hardmod or an second "source" system. Also, some have been banned EVEN WITH all of those setting turned off, and some haven't been banned EVEN WITH those settings turned on. There is still NO CONCRETE DATA on what causes the ban.

You can look at any GBA Temp thread you want, but the reality is that there is still no concrete conclusion as to what is causing it. All is still speculation at this point, but there are some correlations between certain things. You can go a ton of different threads, and they will all claim to know what causes the ban, but every thread has completely different reasons stated. There could be multiple causes.

@Eric Cartman We al already stated that, plus a few other things and settings to turn off. Plus you can't get CFW on 11.4 without a hardmod or an second "source" system. Also, some have been banned EVEN WITH all of those setting turned off, and some haven't been banned EVEN WITH those settings turned on. There is still NO CONCRETE DATA on what causes the ban.
I checked yesterday, my (main) 3DS is not banned (though I formatted it 4 times before checking, just in case :p), and I had these options on the whole time.
But I have a difference with the majority of people, I don't often have WiFi. It's basically only on when I'm actually playing a game. So if the theory that says "Nintendo gets info about the app you're currently running" is true, then of course I evaded the ban, I'm never online except in MH4U :p
Other theories may work in that case too, but a theory that would say "Nintendo has been checking the presence of a CFW for years, flagging everyone, then banned hard on that Friday" wouldn't explain my case.

I checked yesterday, my (main) 3DS is not banned (though I formatted it 4 times before checking, just in case :p), and I had these options on the whole time.
But I have a difference with the majority of people, I don't often have WiFi. It's basically only on when I'm actually playing a game. So if the theory that says "Nintendo gets info about the app you're currently running" is true, then of course I evaded the ban, I'm never online except in MH4U :p
Other theories may work in that case too, but a theory that would say "Nintendo has been checking the presence of a CFW for years, flagging everyone, then banned hard on that Friday" wouldn't explain my case.
You formatted the system 4 times?! That's dedication. I presume you must've formatted your system with the tiny format CFW application. Though did you lose game data in the process?

You formatted the system 4 times?! That's dedication. I presume you must've formatted your system with the tiny format CFW application. Though did you lose game data in the process?
That was not dedication actually. I couldn't format it less times since formatting my emuNAND once led me to a NAND linked to my sysNAND, formatting a second time led me to another NAND I seemed to have used too (there were applications installed on it), and same for the third format. So I did it a fourth time.
Yeah, I used TinyFormat, and I didn't lose anything. I even restored my NAND backup after checking if I was banned and got everything back in no time. Not sure if that NAND is safe to go online with, but I don't go online anyway since MH4U halls are empty.

Back