RMT / Team Help I need help in VGC17

• Thread starter coolflare
  • Start date
coolflare

coolflare

The flame of wonder and coolness
Towns Folk
Hello. I am currently building a VGC17 Trick room team but I don't know who to put in the 6th slot. Here is my team:
Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
Level: 50
EVs: 244 HP / 76 Def / 188 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover

TR4SH (Muk-Alola) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Power of Alchemy
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 172 Def / 40 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Curse
- Protect

Torkoal @ Charcoal
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Protect

Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 104 Def / 76 SpD
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Whirlwind

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 228 HP / 44 Atk / 116 Def / 120 SpD
Brave Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed
- Wide Guard
- Protect

I only glanced at this, but you're running drought and while not hindered by it, you're not utilizing it at all. Your sixth person could be someone who utilizes the sun, yet also, it's detrimental to your planning to just run just one TR setter in a fully dedicated TR; your last person could be another reliable setter.

Reactions: coolflare
I only glanced at this, but you're running drought and while not hindered by it, you're not utilizing it at all. Your sixth person could be someone who utilizes the sun, yet also, it's detrimental to your planning to just run just one TR setter in a fully dedicated TR; your last person could be another reliable setter.
@Mr. Kream
Mourning what do u think of slowbro or slow king they r both bulky and can use water types they also can set up trick room and they enjoy it because they r slow
And since they r in the alola dex they could work
Plus they both can use a fire type move benefiting from drought if they need it

Last edited:
@Mr. Kream
Mourning what do u think of slowbro or slow king they r both bulky and can use water types they also can set up trick room and they enjoy it because they r slow
They get fire blast, too.

@Mr. Kream
Yeah I just through it out there so what do u think of one of them on his team
Those two just kinda popped into my head for the reasons above since one there is no water on this team
They could both be good additions on a trick room team
I also recommend regenerator as their ability gotta love free health when u switch them
Which one though depends would u rather have a specially defensive poke(slowking) or a defensive poke(slowbro)
They get fire blast, too.

Last edited:
They work, but Myst, it's his opinions you should be asking; it's his team.

They work, but Myst, it's his opinions you should be asking; it's his team.
I know I just thought there typing words tms well plus both are defensive enough to set up trick room
Which one u use depends on your opinion special defense(slowking) or defense (slowbro)
What do u think cool
I feel very proud of myself right now :/ I'm not the best team builder

Reactions: Mr. Kream
@Mr. Kream
Plus they both can use a fire type move benefiting from drought if they need it
@MysticFantasy
That isn't a bad idea since they get fire blast and I can benefit from rain from opponents but could be hindered coverage wise if Drought is set up.

@MysticFantasy
That isn't a bad idea since they get fire blast and I can benefit from rain from opponents but could be hindered coverage wise if Drought is set up.
As I said they get the best of both worlds plus there natural bulk can help with setting trick room up since they both can do it it's just your decision on which one u use

As I said they get the best of both worlds plus there natural bulk can help with setting trick room up since they both can do it it's just your decision on which one u use
The meta is more physical so Slowbro is the better option but what is a good EV spread for it? Also, I did consider Marowak since it can check Tapu Koko, a common VGC17 threat

The meta is more physical so Slowbro is the better option but what is a good EV spread for it? Also, I did consider Marowak since it can check Tapu Koko, a common VGC17 threat
Hmmmm V-V movesets are not my specialty I have yet to do good at it aka I hAvnt made my own move set yet. Although i I did have slowbro moves in mind
Slowbro(I'd say leftovers but your already using them do something else
Ability:regenerator
Ev: not my specialty @Mr. Kream Might have a idea and fix this up since this is my worst thing when it comes to team building.
Though I'd invest some in special defense and hp to make it bulkier against special attacks and to last a bit longer. And maybe some in special attack none in speed since u want it on a trick room team.
Moves:
Trick room
Slack off/calm mind do u want more special defense and special attack or a way of healing
Scald
Fireblast/flamethrower I'd use flamethrower because of accuracy but u can use fireblast if u want
This is just something I made up I by no means think you should do this set because I suck at it
See what mourning thinks.
Marowak could work but then u have no water :/ up to u I'm just saying my thoughts
Another reason I'm scepticle about marowak is that u already have two pokes weak to ground

Porygon2 and Celesteela deal with Garchomp and other ground types fairly easily. Muddsdale isnt OHKOed by Porygon2's +1 Ice beam but can threaten it with Toxic.

Hmmmm V-V movesets are not my specialty I have yet to do good at it aka I hAvnt made my own move set yet. Although i I did have slowbro moves in mind
Slowbro(I'd say leftovers but your already using them do something else
Ability:regenerator
Ev: not my specialty @Mr. Kream Might have a idea and fix this up since this is my worst thing when it comes to team building.
Though I'd invest some in special defense and hp to make it bulkier against special attacks and to last a bit longer. And maybe some in special attack none in speed since u want it on a trick room team.
Moves:
Trick room
Slack off/calm mind do u want more special defense and special attack or a way of healing
Scald
Fireblast/flamethrower I'd use flamethrower because of accuracy but u can use fireblast if u want
This is just something I made up I by no means think you should do this set because I suck at it
See what mourning thinks.
Marowak could work but then u have no water :/ up to u I'm just saying my thoughts
Another reason I'm scepticle about marowak is that u already have two pokes weak to ground
Second guess yourself a bit less, Myst, if you're wrong, you'll only be corrected.
Porygon2 and Celesteela deal with Garchomp and other ground types fairly easily. Muddsdale isnt OHKOed by Porygon2's +1 Ice beam but can threaten it with Toxic.
How do the calcs on that Muk stack up versus bulkier Tapu? I see you're running a bulky spread, but would a more offensive presence not be better for you under TR?

Hmmm I guess alolan marowak is able to take out other fire types since it can run a few ground type moves
----------------
I forgot to put a nature on the slowbro set
I was thinking modest or quiet quiet would lower the speed even further Both raise special attack
Hmmm I'm not great at evs so this is as good as I'm gonna get it >.>
252hp/252 special attack/ 4 special defense
Puts a little more bulk to it let's it last longer and hit harder

Last edited:
How do the calcs on that Muk stack up versus bulkier Tapu? I see you're running a bulky spread, but would a more offensive presence not be better for you under TR?
It can setup with curse before and after TR is set up and can sweep with +2 boosted poison jab. The bulk helps with Mantaining ultility in Knock off.

It can setup with curse before and after TR is set up and can sweep with +2 boosted poison jab. The bulk helps with Mantaining ultility in Knock off.
Are you hitting above 50% on bulky Fini and Lele before boosting? Despite probably being fine for DOU, planning for 2 consistent boosts seems pretty shaky for 4v4 battles that won't last long enough for you to really take advantage of them. If your damage isnt in a place where you can easily check your threats, consider a spread with more initial power. The moves are fine, but I think your spread would be better when considering a maximum of one boost as quota to make your damage count as opposed to trying to set up twice.

Come to think of it, isn't Poison Touch also better suited to your team? PoA is great, but Download and Beast Boost are on the two mon in your team least likely to die quickly and grant it any incentive, and the other two abilities are entirely useless to Muk, as TR Muk isn't a target for common status, and Drought being triggered when the only person using it dies is redundant. Actually, now that I'm questioning this, why are you running Torkoal here? You have no true incentive to having him in this team. Marowak's probably a better choice.

Reactions: coolflare
Are you hitting above 50% on bulky Fini and Lele before boosting? Despite probably being fine for DOU, planning for 2 consistent boosts seems pretty shaky for 4v4 battles that won't last long enough for you to really take advantage of them. If your damage isnt in a place where you can easily check your threats, consider a spread with more initial power. The moves are fine, but I think your spread would be better when considering a maximum of one boost as quota to make your damage count as opposed to trying to set up twice.

Come to think of it, isn't Poison Touch also better suited to your team? PoA is great, but Download and Beast Boost are on the two mon in your team least likely to die quickly and grant it any incentive, and the other two abilities are entirely useless to Muk, as TR Muk isn't a target for common status, and Drought being triggered when the only person using it dies is redundant. Actually, now that I'm questioning this, why are you running Torkoal here? You have no true incentive to having him in this team. Marowak's probably a better choice.
Well, after playing with this team a little while, I have learned that my team is weak to water and Tapu Fini is an annoyance. Marowak isn't going to help in that regard but removing Torokal (Even though I went through all the hard work to breed one) will give me more options to help me. Slowbro and Slowking don't have any moves that covers water types (That I know of) but I only had Torkoal to counter weather. I tried running Dhelmise but everything I calc'ed took too much damage but did high damage in return. So I don't know who to use now on my team.

Both slowbro and slow king get grass knot
My slowking has
Grass knot
Slack off
Flamethrower
And scald
It's really good ^-^

Taking what you all said under consideration... I made a few changes to my team:
N64 (Porygon2) @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 244 HP / 76 Def / 188 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Recover

TR4SH (Muk-Alola) @ Figy Berry
Ability: Power of Alchemy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Taunt
- Protect

Ryu (Hariyama) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Def / 124 SpD
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Protect

Mudsdale @ Choice Band
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 196 HP / 204 Atk / 108 SpD
Brave Nature
- High Horsepower
- Rock Slide
- Heavy Slam
- Close Combat

Araquanid @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Def / 60 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Stockpile
- Protect

Vikavolt (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 224 HP / 4 Def / 228 SpA / 52 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Discharge

I played with this for a few days. I only lost if I was outplayed by my opponent but otherwise, I've been racking wins with this.

Looks much better more functional.

Back