Is it safe to let the Wii U GamePad's battery life go to 0% regularly?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Or should I have it charging whenever my Wii U is on but I'm not using the GamePad?

I ask because at times I need my Wii U on even when I'm not using the GamePad. I want to let its battery life hit 0% to switch off to avoid having it charged just to "die" again without being used.

I've heard that letting a portable device die before charging it is better for its battery life. Of course, every time I use my gamepad I'm in the middle of something and can't just let it die. My gamepad's battery life is pretty terrible, so I think it's probably true.

I've heard that letting a portable device die before charging it is better for its battery life.
That's for devices using a lithium battery when they're brand new and it's the first time using them >.<

I've heard that letting a portable device die before charging it is better for its battery life. Of course, every time I use my gamepad I'm in the middle of something and can't just let it die. My gamepad's battery life is pretty terrible, so I think it's probably true.
I have heard the opposite. Leaving it at 0 percent makes the total battery life go down (kinda like phones or laptops). It is pretty much unhealthy to let it go at 0 percent and recharge it.

Of course, besides the battery life going down, there is nothing wrong with playing it fully, and then letting it run out. I suggest replacing the battery every 4 years (had to replace 3ds battery because battery life was at 2 hours).

I always have mine plugged in because mine only has a couple of hours battery life. I just find it really annoying with the short battery life because I always play on my wii u for longer then the battery life is.

Also the cable is pretty long for it so at least you're not constricted to being sat really close to where ever you've got it plugged in.

Don't let it die regularly because then you'll ruin the battery. Don't continually charge it while playing with all the time also, that also ruins the battery

I wouldn't let the battery die. I tend to have long play sessions when using the Wii U, and the single worst thing about video games is some outside factor (in this case, batteries, but there have been cases like disconnecting allies, lag, or real life) intervening in the middle of a big push, causing you to lose data and/or the match.

As soon as as it lights up red from amber, I put the charger in, because I wouldn't wanna lose any progress (especially if I'm playing online on Splatoon, there are penalties). Sometimes I don't even notice when it goes red, and then flashes crazily, and I rush to get it charging. I don't think I've ever let the battery go completely.

Or should I have it charging whenever my Wii U is on but I'm not using the GamePad?

I ask because at times I need my Wii U on even when I'm not using the GamePad. I want to let its battery life hit 0% to switch off to avoid having it charged just to "die" again without being used.
It is never safe to let any electronics device go to 0% regularly. It's always better to charge your device as soon as it reaches 50% or below. Also, Never charge it to the entire 100% just let it charge till 85-90%, this helps keep the battery in a good condition for a long time.

Reactions: Mikaya
I simply go by: 'If the gamepad's light is red, go charge it immediately.' It's a less time-consuming process than waiting for it to die then to charge it. I honesty have no clue if it's dangerous to let it power off via no charge on a regular basis. Seems likely, tho.

I would say that you shouldn't do that regularly, but it is also ok to let it go to 0% ( just not regularly) so I would say charge it if you can, but if you need to not charge it then don't do it :)

I usually try to turn off the Wii U Gamepad while turning on the Wii U to avoid draining the battery while it is 'off'.

Still, I got a cheap solution for the battery problem: a Wii U Gamepad USB cable and a external charger with a 2a usb port. Works perfect.

My dad said that it's actualy healthy for the batery to let a batery 'die' before you charge it, so I'd say it's fine. :)

My dad said that it's actualy healthy for the batery to let a batery 'die' before you charge it, so I'd say it's fine. :)
That's for older batteries, the nickel based ones. The new batteries, lithium based, are quite the opposite.

I don't have a WiiU, but my logic tells me that it doesn't seem like the smartest/safest idea to let die frequently.

I don't really let my controller die, especially when I'm playing splatoon or the binding of Isaac. though I wouldn't recommend it to let it die frequently and repetitively since I heard you can damage your battery by doing that.

Back