Is SMT DS Record Break different to SMT DS Overclocked?

• Thread starter Knight Rain
  • Start date
Knight Rain

Knight Rain

:)
Towns Folk
So I was thinking of getting shin megami tensai 2 record break but I've never played shin megami tensai devil survivor 1 before. Will I miss anything if I just go ahead and get two or are the two games different

Will I miss anything if I just go ahead and get two or are the two games different
The two games are different so you do not have to play Devil Survivor Overclocked to understand Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker.

Reactions: Knight Rain
Here is some of the differences that they poit out :

Record Breaker:

The game will include difficulty settings, consisting of Blessed (easy) and Apocalypse (normal). The Blessed difficulty setting allows the player's characters to do more damage and take less damage, while receiving more Macca and experience. Apocalypse difficulty is in line with that of the original game.

The StreetPass function allows a player to pass by other players who also have the game. Each passed player will bestow one random demon in the player's current stock or party with a random bonus stat point.

Over clocked:

Aside from the story expansion with the 8th Day scenarios, the Demon Compendium makes a return in Overclocked, allowing the player to register and resummon his own customised demons rather than continuously repurchase them from auctions. Over 20 new demons have also been added to the game, including several powerful demons of races like Fairy and Beast to give the player a suitably high-leveled demon from those races to feasibly use in the endgame and 8th Days.

More skills are also implemented, including a larger variety of Physical skills to encourage use of strength-oriented playable characters. Training team leaders has also become less of a hassle as, like in Devil Survivor 2, all team leaders, active or not, receive some EXP when one team wins a battle. The Watchful and Vigilant skills, when cracked and assigned, can boost the EXP gain to speed up the leveling of those behind in levels.

A title and rewards system is also implemented to reward players for good performance during the game and also to slowly unlock post-game bonuses as the player accumulates these points. Along with these new changes, the player can now choose the game's difficulty level (Easy or Normal) depending on their tastes.

I find this^ comment kind of confusing and copy-pasted. Here's my response from what I can muster.

Same: Spell names, certain demons, multiple endings, time management, achievements, gameplay, nameable MC, choosing the build of your MC (I think), Demon fusing, Demon auction, additional days, difficulty option, New Game+ features, location (not sure if maps are the same but does it really matter).

Different: Some Demons, Add-ons when fusing, cast, music, story, Record Breaker has DLC for the heck of paying more for more enjoyment, a matching 3DS Menu background compared to none for Overclocked, a Miiverse page (for the sake of comparison), tone.

You could start with either one but I think if you started with Overclocked you could get the hang of all the mechanics then focus on the new features when you get Record Breaker for your enjoyment but if you are on a budget Record Breaker might be the one to get (especially when I got it for $9.99).

the stories are completely different, overlocked feels more bleak while record breaker feels more hopefull
other differences

overlocked: most of the time you will have the main trio of humans (protagonist and friends) that sometimes gets a four human party member, depending on the route you get in the day 7, this can change A LOT, and some routes have a day 8, have in mind that anyone can die at any moment if you arent carefull with you time and actions

the endings in this game, fall in the classic categories of the series, with some being more "orderly" and others being more "chaotic"

record breaker: you start with the main trio, you will get a fourth party member soon ,and later you will start to get a lot of other characters, they can also die, but once you save them once, they are safe for the rest of the game, and its mostly easier to save them

the routes of the last day, sadly, doesnt have a lot of differences compared to overlocked , and they haven a day 8, instead, there is a "sequel history"

but otherwise the gameplay is very simmilar

the endings in this game are differet from other SMT games, this isnt a game about order or chaos, this is a story that is more about social ideologies

Back