Lawsuit filed against Nintendo for the Nintendo Switch detachable joycons

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Looks like Gamevice has filed a lawsuit against Nintendo because of the Switch's detachable joycon controllers. The accessory maker is claiming they violated one of its patents from the Wikipad.

See the Wikipad in action in the video below :

As you can see from the video above, you can also detach the controller from the Wikipad.

They want compensation for damages and a ban to Switch sales :eek:

What do you guys think?

Reactions: Link Master and 18
I personally think Ninty usually think of something out of the box, so they become pioneer of some notable controls like motion controls of Wii, so I don't think they would copy the concept from Wikipad or some others. So maybe the similarity is just a coincidence, then? Plus, I think Switch's Joy-Con can function more than just detachable controllers because it can do other stuffs like HD Rumble or some motion sensors mentioned earlier.

If so, I dunno if the sue will go through as for now.

That thing looks like an uglier gamepad to me. Surprised they didn't file a lawsuit against nintendo for the Wii U. When will the lawsuits against Nintendo for their systems end anyways? It happened to the Wii ,Wii U and Gamecube and pretty sure it happened to the 3ds as well. This is another company just trying to benefit by hoping Nintendo will settle out. This wikipad was a massive failure for the company anyways, as well the stopped selling the thing! I've never heard or seen a "wikipad" before. The company is probably jealous as well that their product failed while the switch is turning into a success. It happens to other companies like Apple too. Not sure if Nintendo will fight this, they always have fought them and I don't see how they could really lose this one. They possibly could settle out but I'm not sure. Gamevice isn't the first company either to make an accessory like this either. I'm not going to continue ranting about this though since I think if you are reading this you get my point by now.

Maybe it's just me but that thing is as ugly as. I don't think that they will win their case. The Wikipad, is just an attachment for an ipad, and is one singular controller, and not two. There are a ton of other differences between the two as well. Their not even the first company that has mas detachable controllers. Nintendo just did it better than everyone else.

I also find it pretty ironic that in the beginning of their video they say that it's exactly like a Ps4 or Xbox controller. They're gonna get sued by Microsoft and Sony pretty soon.

Reactions: Bagel
Well one thing's for certain, I had never heard of the wikipad until just recently. Nintendo probably didn't either. (Do modern tablets even run games like that, or is it just inflated media?)

That is a pretty ugly controller. I think Ninty is fine, I don't see how anything that really dangers them, I doubt wikipad will actually be able to sue.

Thing is, boys and girls, cases aren't won or lost depending on how ugly something is. If they patented the detachable design, they might actually win.

Reactions: Chronal and SmashChamp
I kinda doubt it. There a multiple differences between these two controller. The wiki pad isn't the only, or even the first game system to have detachable controllers. I haven't seen the patent's, but I really doubt Nintendo will lose this one. In the beginning of their own video they out right say they ripped off PlayStation and Xbox controllers, how can they get mad if some one has a similar idea that they implement successfully and skillfully.

Reactions: SmashChamp
Thing is, boys and girls, cases aren't won or lost depending on how ugly something is. If they patented the detachable design, they might actually win.
See, I'd be inclined to agree with you, and to a large extent I do but lawsuits are also won on the basis of legal teams and most importantly of all Money.
If the lawsuit stretches out long enough, I doubt enough wikipads(or any at all judging by the video) were sold to cover the legal costs of this case. Best case scenario for them is getting a paltry sum of money in an out of court settlement, worst case scenario is losing outright and being asked to cover all of the legal fees of the case.

See, I'd be inclined to agree with you, and to a large extent I do but lawsuits are also won on the basis of legal teams and most importantly of all Money.
If the lawsuit stretches out long enough, I doubt enough wikipads(or any at all judging by the video) were sold to cover the legal costs of this case. Best case scenario for them is getting a paltry sum of money in an out of court settlement, worst case scenario is losing outright and being asked to cover all of the legal fees of the case.
They're clearly aiming for an out-of-court settlement and for Nintendo to legally buy the design. That's pretty much their win.

Reactions: Chronal and TribstyAnn
Y'know, the beastie boys ripped off certain rhythms and tunes from Led Zeppelin. (See "Rhymin' & Stealin" and "She's crafty") And they complained when a couple girls covered their song "Girls" in a YouTube video. This reminds me of that case.

I actually wish Nintendo looses to this, because they do unfair fights like this, if it may teach them to cool down...

Reactions: 18
I actually wish Nintendo looses to this, because they do unfair fights like this, if it may teach them to cool down...

What are you talking about? What has Nintendo unfairly fought? What do they need to cool down about? Do you really want all Switch production to stop? Even if you don't what to buy one yourself, you shouldn't deprive to other millions of people who do want one.

Nintendo filed their own patents for the Switch, and had them approved. Nintendo is very over-zealous about covering their behind with copyrights and patents. How could they be infringeing on someone else's patent with their own awarded patent?

Reactions: Arshan
@Alegria even I'm confused by your statement. o_O I mean, what is it you are referencing that Nintendo did?

I think about how Nintendo has menaced some people to go to the court if they didn't stop with their fan-games.
Fan-games which are on retro-consoles, free, and that doesn't harm Nintendo, plus doing this didn't stop the game to spread (with viruses) and gives them a bad image.

I know it has little to do with switch joy-con. I don't say the switch should stop production, they woul probable just pay Gamevice.
But I generally like the idea that smaller compagnies can sometimes fight against bigger and not always the other way.

Reactions: 18
Nintendo has the right to protect their intellectual properties. Why would people buy the new Metroid on 3ds, if they could just download AM2R for free? It kind of sucks for people who just want to show their love for games, but it's Nintendo's legal right and also their duty to protect their intellectual properties. Nintendo, as far as I know, just asked people to stop their fan games, instead of taking them to court, avoiding all the costs and stress that a court proceeding would have. People making fan-games are infringing on copyright if they use the same characters, world, etc. and are actually breaking the law.

Reactions: Chronal
Nintendo has the right to protect their intellectual properties. Why would people buy the new Metroid on 3ds, if they could just download AM2R for free? It kind of sucks for people who just want to show their love for games, but it's Nintendo's legal right and also their duty to protect their intellectual properties. Nintendo, as far as I know, just asked people to stop their fan games, instead of taking them to court, avoiding all the costs and stress that a court proceeding would have. People making fan-games are infringing on copyright if they use the same characters, world, etc. and are actually breaking the law.

Sega has supported fan games. The result is that the Sonic series, regardless of its critical reception in recent years, is massively successful. Because even kids looking for freeware can find a Sonic fangame and get familiar with him.

Nintendo's cease and desists, on the other hand, have prevented Metroid - your example - from being as ubiquitous. And no, Mario doesn't count, he has an entire console to be the mascot for at his disposal.

Reactions: Chronal and Alegria
Nintendo has the right to protect their intellectual properties. Why would people buy the new Metroid on 3ds, if they could just download AM2R for free? It kind of sucks for people who just want to show their love for games, but it's Nintendo's legal right and also their duty to protect their intellectual properties
problem is, they don't!
the game spreads anyway and Nintendo is called meanie.

Plus, Nintendo could totally have a look at their work and go "say, what about you do your thing, you don't spread it yet, we check and if it's cool we sell it on the e-shop?"

Sega has supported fan games. The result is that the Sonic series, regardless of its critical reception in recent years, is massively successful.
I've never heard of a popular Sonic fan game =P

People know Nintendo doesn't like them making fan made games. They do it anyway because these fan-made games have a high chance at going viral because of the Nintendo name and characters.
Plus, Nintendo could totally have a look at their work and go "say, what about you do your thing, you don't spread it yet, we check and if it's cool we sell it on the e-shop?"
That's never going to happen. Why let someone else make money over something you sell yourself?

it's not just for fame! Look at Pokémon Prism, it had Pokémon Cristal's visual, not because Pokémon is viral (or they would have used the next gen at least), but because they like the charism and the retro of that!

Back