Looking for suggestions, how should I start learning game develompent?

• Thread starter J9794
  • Start date
J9794

J9794

But you can call me Jay Nine Seven Nine Four
Towns Folk
I already know stuff about programming, some languages (C,C#,Java,Haskell,Scala,Ruby,etc), object oriented and functional programming and a bit about graphics (transformation and translation, roughly how some shaders work, collision detection and some optimizations).
What language or game engine do you recommend to start actually doing something related with games and see any result?

I know nothing about this, but maybe you should tag @Megalegacy (I don't have the tag you're it) he might have a bit of information to help you out.

I already know stuff about programming, some languages (C,C#,Java,Haskell,Scala,Ruby,etc), object oriented and functional programming and a bit about graphics (transformation and translation, roughly how some shaders work, collision detection and some optimizations).
What language or game engine do you recommend to start actually doing something related with games and see any result?

Depends on your taste.
For computers, and if you'd like to use C, you may want to go with SDL. It's quite easy to use, and it supports most of the OS that you can think of. Otherwise, for Java , you can still go with LibGDX, or check around OpenGL stuff for Java, and use LWJGL for keyboard support.

And in the case where you'd like to try to make an homebrew game on 3DS, C is your friend, as well as the useful SF2D library (+ SFIL/SFTD for images and text drawing) made by a GBATemp member (xerpi).

Reactions: J9794
Depends on your taste.
For computers, and if you'd like to use C, you may want to go with SDL. It's quite easy to use, and it supports most of the OS that you can think of. Otherwise, for Java , you can still go with LibGDX, or check around OpenGL stuff for Java, and use LWJGL for keyboard support.

And in the case where you'd like to try to make an homebrew game on 3DS, C is your friend, as well as the useful SF2D library (+ SFIL/SFTD for images and text drawing) made by a GBATemp member (xerpi).

I'm not really a fan of C, but I could give it a try in case I ever try to make something for the 3DS. And thanks for the info!, I guess I could use the Java libraries in Scala since it's compatible with Java written code.

Reactions: D4rkDragon
I myself want to get into game development and am learning a bit of Javascript; want to study some C# this year too and have tried some GameMaker Language as a quick "get into coding games" thing to get my confidence up. I would've thought that with the knowledge of C#, it would be beneficial to try Unity - quick and easy to get started and make games, lots of features, uses an industry-standard C# and a lot of people recommend using Unity. Would that also be a good step, to learn C# and get into Unity?

Reactions: J9794
Back