Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate thoughts?

• Thread starter kessikitty
  • Start date
kessikitty

kessikitty

NintenPedia Member
Towns Folk
I just started playing a few days ago, and while some of the early quests are super easy, they really do take the gloves off quick and send you out on your own with no hints! It took forever to beat the Stinking Seltas and Jaggi Alliance quests, even though they should've been easy as my first major hunts. I added all the DLC, frequently switch out and train my Palicoes, and I'm not sure what I am doing wrong or right. I have 3 armor sets saved already.
1 for dual blades, 1 for insect glaive, and 1 for the light bowgun. Is there any other equipment I should invest in? I hated the long sword, and some of the delay on moving after attacks drove me nuts, and still kind of does. The insect glaive seems to be my favorite blademaster weapon, but I have yet to try gunlances, which are supposed to be a combo of both if I'm not mistaken. I have been upgrading my equipment early as possible, because I know they are giving me more things now than they ever will later. I'm about to start the first expedition, and I was wondering if there was anything I should do besides max my healing items before heading out. I have no idea what to expect, as this is my first Monster Hunter game, ever.

Also, for other newbies, how have you guys felt about the game so far? Is the learning curve as high to you as it was to me, or am I just slow?

well if ur going on an expedition, it really doesn't matter how u go through it unless there something specific u want from it, like hunting a certain monster, for example. i'd say it would be better to get some good healing items for later quests, but try to only use the first aid meds and stuff on expeditions, since there's no limit on dying like actual quests, also the gunlance is still definitely a melee weapon, as the shells from it are kinda just a bonus on it. even long shot GL's don't have much range :T

Well, the game told me to try my first expedition, and isn't giving me new quests yet, so I just wanted to make sure I didn't go in unprepared. I'm glad to know there are no limits to dying in expeditions! Thanks so much!

just a note that could help later: since there's no limit on dying, expeditions are great for trying out new weapons and armor sets. i used to hate the LS too, but i finally tried out a good set with it and now it's 1 of my favorite weapons \o/

The delay is what is driving me mad. I can't stand the style of attacking. Is there anything to make that delay suck less?

well the delay is kinda meant as a balance thing for the LS. the main way that it works is that u use it's combos to build up the spirit gauge, then use the spirit attacks to increase ur damage. while it is kinda slow, it becomes surprisingly powerful once u reach the red spirit blade.

I can't stand slow, honestly, and the insect glaive is the only one so far with any combos I like. I may have to abandon LS and GS.

I love these weapons:
The insect glavie- I like this one because it is get powerful when you know how to use it. It seems like the easiest weapon to use out of all of the monster hunter weapons.

Dual blades- I like this one because it is also easy to use and I like the combos you can perfect on the weapon. I also like going into demon mode and going crazy on people:)

Charge blade- I like this weapon because it is powerful and you can also do amazing combos with this weapon. This weapon isn't really easy to use unless you know how to use this to the best of the weapons ability.

As Mello2002 said, those 3 above are pretty much the best to use. The dual blades are fast, and can inflict more elemental damage than any other weapon, plus it has demon mode, which is really useful. The insect glaive is a great weapon, and is good on multiplayer. It can take down a monster pretty fast, and is the best for mounting. It has the kinsect, which amplifies speed, attack, and defense. The charge blade(My main) is a great weapon, but if your more into speed than blocking and heavy attacks, it's not for you. The charge blade is great because even though it's not fast, it can inflict great amounts of damage, has two modes, comes with a shield, and has two special modes. I honestly think they covered the intro to the game really well, and I understood the concept and the controls very quickly, even though I started the series with 4U. If you had downloaded the demo before you played the full, you would probably understand better. Anyways, did you already go through using each weapon in the arena, because they explain it very well in there. I did those immediately, and once I did, I took down the Great Jaggi on my first try, and the Setlas on my second, using the hunter E.Q. they give you at the beginning.

As this was my first Monster Hunter game, as I was much like OP when, after the first few extremely easy battles, the game immediately became quite a bit more difficult. However, I greatly enjoyed this, as I felt like the first couple of battles were far too easy for my liking.

Back