N2DS XL Discussion Topic

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
The 3DS isn't the only system that's getting an upgrade. Kind of surprising but the 2DS now has a New 2DS XL version. It'll be up for grabs beginning July 28th for $149.99 US.

New Nintendo 2DS XL :

Thoughts?

yeah it is cool for people that like 2ds, but as for me I never liked 2ds. I would still get new 3ds, but for ones that like 2ds. This is a good one.

I don't like it personally, but I can see why some people would. If you don't like 3d, want all the benefits of the New 3ds then this is for you. It's also nice that it has a lower price, making it very cheap for the more economically minded person. I can definitely understand why Nintendo is doing it, I just personally won't use one, but I hope it does well for them.

Jeez... I'm sorry, but I was mid-way through a CS:GO match just now, and once I saw this I couldn't stop laughing and we lost the match because of it.

It's just... Why? :hilarious:

Really though, it doesn't look the greatest to me, it looks just too thin to be comfortable. Why would they go with the folding style now after the original 2ds' all where non-folding. It also looks a bit.. squat to me. Not quite as big as the 3ds, which some people might like I guess.

I personally don't use the 3DS function in my O3DS just because I find it useless. But I've never thought about getting a 2DS since I didn't like the fact that it didn't fold. This just seems a bit better I guess, but I'm not sure how comfortable it'd be for long-time use honestly.

Reactions: Mikaya and Marc
This looks great except for the fact the Switch just came out and I spent my money on that otherwise if the switch wasn't out I would probably get this because my old 3ds is kinda well old and I it's cheaper than buying a new 3ds

Think this means the Switch won't replace the 3DS?

Reactions: Mikaya and 28142
Surprisingly the New 2DS XL look quite sleek and cool; unlike the very Fischer-Price-esque Nintendo 2DS. I'd buy this just because it looks cool; and I own the normal New Nintendo 3DS XL.

Personally I find it surprising that Nintendo still give some upgrades to 3DS, specifically the 2DS version of it. But at least New 2DS XL will be more comfortable and might fit anyone who wants to opt out of the 3D mode. I just hope they released the regular New 2DS if they're at it, as well.

It's great (big screens, all features people want, no features people don't want (3D)) but... too late?
I'm not saying that because the Switch is out (not sure why some people think the Switch replaces the 3DS) but because everyone and their grandmother already have at least 2 variations of the 3DS in their basement now. So that one is great and all (I would probably have bought that one instead of several ones I have) but who needs any 3DS console today, that one or another one?

If it was released 8 months earlier, I would've bought this instead of my New 3DS. I don't really like 3D and I think the New 2DS XL was the best solution for me (instead of my New 3ds). It's basically a New 3DS XL without 3D and for me it was the best choice. I barely even used my 3D :(

Like you've said, too late and not really worth it considering one of the main selling points for N3DS is it's "super stable 3D" and that there aren't that many N3DS exclusive games (and not enough SNES games either...).

You'd essentially be paying for the ability to tab down a few of the more demanding games and slightly faster internet browsing :confused:

Reactions: Mikaya
I love the look of it so much but I only recently got my new nintendo 3ds xl and however much more I prefer the 2ds xl's look i'm not ditching £120 on something that has no real difference or advantage. Definitely worth it for people without new 3ds's but not something I recommend to everyone as its only unique feature at the moment is that it doesn't have 3d.

This announcement really shocked me. I never expected a new device to be announced. I think it will support new 3ds games, as it is a New 2ds. On second thoughts, I think this is a good response to many people who were wondering about the future of nintendo handheld systems. It´s clear that nintendo has more stuff for them.

Honestly, I think this is what they should've done in the first place.
Y'know, instead of wasting everyone's time with the "ONLY THE LEFT AUDIO TRACK" nonsense on the original 2DS. :T

Reactions: Mr. Kream
It actually looks really nice, the design is so slim/sleek/pretty. I didn't really expect there to be an N2DS XL, So I was somewhat surprised. I'm not sure if it'll sell well, though, because it's pretty random and most gamers probably already have the N3DS by now. I guess it'll be good for those on a low budget, and who aren't a massive fan of the 3D. There has also been an orange/black-coloured one announced in addition, which wasn't featured in that vid (looks better than blue, in my opinion).

Last edited:
I'm not really excited for it personally. Infact when I first saw the video title and the thumbnail on youtube I thought it was a joke. Though the design for the console itself looks really good I don't see the point of making a new ineration of the 3ds console if they are barely trying to distribute the switch at of the market. I would've find the announcement better if they had a bundle of the new Nintendo 2ds with either games coming out on the same day of that console.

I some-what like the idea of the n2ds xl. Let me explain:
Pros:
  • $50 less than the n3ds xl with all the same functionality besides 3d.
  • A good upgrade (downgrade?) from the original 3ds/2ds.
Cons:
  • Terrible camera placement. The one on the front is exposed when the ds is shut, and the ones on the back have the potential to scratch if you put your ds down the wrong way.
  • Somewhat childish-looking design (in comparison to the original 3ds/3ds xl). This all boils down to opinion, but when its closed, the glossy blue border combined with the black stripe design on the top makes it look more like a toy than a sophisticated game-playing device. Of course I am refering to the blue/black version, and I do like the color combination of orange/white.
Will I switch? (No pun intended):
Maybe. I've been getting back into playing games on my o3ds xl. It plays all of my games just fine except for mhg. Let me tell you, that game has a frame cap of 30 fps, and the o3ds can't even keep it consistently. To put it bluntly, I hate that. Although it is my current favorite game on the 3ds, right now (I may change my mind) I don't want to upgrade (downgrade?) just for one game, especially considering that the Switch is out and I still need to save up for one of those (Splatoon is bae).

Reactions: Eric Cartman and Mikaya
These are the reasons:
nobody cares about 3d anymore. Many people want to access the large variety of games but just dont care about 3d anymore.
Personally, i thought t looked really cool and sophisticated.

It was very surprising to see that another 3ds came out, one that looks like some sort of phone thing (?). Though, if I were to upgrade from the o3ds I'd still rather get a New 3ds/ XL than that thing. I still use 3D even though it's not so often. I'm guessing that the New 2ds XL is basically just creating more options when it comes to a person looking to buy a 3ds family system. Like:

"Can't afford a 3ds?" There's the 2ds
"Can't afford a New 3ds/ XL?" Now there's an alternative: the New 2ds XL.

Having options is always good. I just hope there isn't any Newer Super 3ds XL or something like that xP
(also, trying to type out which 3ds you're referring to is now beginning to be confusing xD)
NDn064h.jpg

Reactions: Eric Cartman, PrimordialMew24, Mikaya and 1 other person
It was very surprising to see that another 3ds came out, one that looks like some sort of phone thing (?).

So I'm not the only one who saw New 2DS XL on first glance and can't help but to compare its design to smartphones :p

Reactions: 2071
Back