New 3DS flaws to make it worst than the O3DS

• Thread starter Samster
  • Start date
Samster

Samster

*secretly has a crush on Marina
Towns Folk
Ok guys. I just got the New 3DS XL system for my birthday. I was wondering, are there enough flaws in the system to make it worse than the old 3DS? For example, my friend had his system memory deleted three times. Count them, 3! That meant losing ALL HIS GAMES (and he had a lot too) 3 times! It was a major bummer. SO i'm just here to ask all New 3DS owners, do you like the New 3DS better than the old one? Comment to let me know!

I hate the C-Stick and liked the Circle Pad Pro on my old 3DS XL a lot better but apart from that, nothing to complain about.

I actually really like the C Stick! It's incredibelly useful in Hyrule Warriors Legends when you have to turn around quickly

Reactions: SuperMikeX
I actually really like the C Stick! It's incredibelly useful in Hyrule Warriors Legends when you have to turn around quickly
I never said it was not useful. But did you ever try a Circle Pad Pro before trying the C-Stick?
If not, then obviously you find it useful and you find it the best (since you don't have anything to compare with ;)).
If yes, then good for you if you like the C-Stick better than the Circle Pad Pro. At least you don't waste time wondering if you should play this or that game on your old 3DS or on the New one...

Reactions: Pandaxclone2, Bidoof and Slayerpon Tatsu
I've never used a circle pad pro, but I really like the new buttons. I don't use them much, but they are super useful in monster hunter 4 Ultimate, which is my favorite 3ds game. (I don't have generations yet. >:p)

I'd say, the SD card slot is definitely less convenient, but beyond that, just the lack of CPP. The N3DS trumps the o3DS pretty hard.

Reactions: Hayleia
I'd say, the SD card slot is definitely less convenient, but beyond that, just the lack of CPP. The N3DS trumps the o3DS pretty hard.
You haven't even used a N3DS, I thought :p

Does it matter? It's a basic skill to determine usability at a glance. Design-eise, having to unscrew an SD card slot every time you want to remove it is inferior to how it's done on the o3DS.

Likewise, the smaller c-stick on the n3DS and it's awkward placement near the face ABXY buttons are far less comfortable than the CPP's size and location :p

Does it matter? It's a basic skill to determine usability at a glance. Design-eise, having to unscrew an SD card slot every time you want to remove it is inferior to how it's done on the o3DS.

Likewise, the smaller c-stick on the n3DS and it's awkward placement near the face ABXY buttons are far less comfortable than the CPP's size and location :p
But you haven't actually held one and used it. I didn't actually notice a difference between the XL and N3DS XL face buttons tbh

But you haven't actually held one and used it. I didn't actually notice a difference between the XL and N3DS XL face buttons tbh
Would you need to sit on an upwards conical toilet to know it would be awkward? I highly doubt it, you'd be able to notice it at a single glance or just by hearing the concept.

Same case, only with controller schemes (which I know my stuff about) =P

Would you need to sit on an upwards conical toilet to know it would be awkward? I highly doubt it, you'd be able to notice it at a single glance or just by hearing the concept.

Same case, only with controller schemes (which I know my stuff about) =P
It wasn't awkward for me :p

I'm using a New 3DS XL after having used an old 3DS XL for two years and I completely agree with the points made by @FrozengMeltengNuttengButteng.

The C-Stick is too high so my nail hit the hinge before my thumb is placed on it and then when I somehow manage to be on it, I have no idea what I'm doing since it doesn't slide nor tilt. I made the "PSP cap" mod, so it's easier to place myself on it but I still don't know what I'm doing.
Meanwhile, the CPP is the size of the left stick, slides like the left stick and is at the same distance to your thumb as the ABXY buttons, so all you have to do is move your thumb sideways instead of trying to move it upwards (which is far more annoying of a movement).

And the (micro) SD card isn't too annoying for most people since usually you don't need to access it everyday, but yeah, when you need access to it you have to get a screwdriver and that's obviously more annoying that just opening a door access.

Reactions: Blue Knight
Oh god the SD card slot is a pain to access on the N3DS, like seriously. Apart from that I don't think there are any so called ' flaws ' on the N3DS.

I'm using a New 3DS XL after having used an old 3DS XL for two years and I completely agree with the points made by @FrozengMeltengNuttengButteng.

The C-Stick is too high so my nail hit the hinge before my thumb is placed on it and then when I somehow manage to be on it, I have no idea what I'm doing since it doesn't slide nor tilt. I made the "PSP cap" mod, so it's easier to place myself on it but I still don't know what I'm doing.
Meanwhile, the CPP is the size of the left stick, slides like the left stick and is at the same distance to your thumb as the ABXY buttons, so all you have to do is move your thumb sideways instead of trying to move it upwards (which is far more annoying of a movement).

And the (micro) SD card isn't too annoying for most people since usually you don't need to access it everyday, but yeah, when you need access to it you have to get a screwdriver and that's obviously more annoying that just opening a door access.
I'm not arguing about the SD card. I don't even keep the back on the 3DS. Maybe its cause I have big hands, but I never have trouble reaching anything no matter what position it is on the XL. And I've never used a CPP.

I'm not arguing about the SD card. I don't even keep the back on the 3DS. Maybe its cause I have big hands, but I never have trouble reaching anything no matter what position it is on the XL. And I've never used a CPP.
I know you never used a CPP, otherwise you'd understand what I'm saying, and you're not :p

I didn't say I can't reach the C-Stick (otherwise, I wouldn't complain about my nail hitting the hinge). I complain about two facts about it:
  • the movement required to reach it
  • the feeling once you're on it
For the first point, just look at what a CPP'd 3DS (XL) looks like. You basically have ABXY on the left side (of the right side) and a stick on the right side (of the right side). So moving your thumb from the stick to ABXY (and conversely) is roughly the same movement as moving your thumb from Y to A (and conversely) on a non CPP'd 3DS, except with a bit more distance*. And that movement is just keeping your whole hand still while just sweeping your thumb right (or left).
But moving from ABXY to the C-Stick isn't the same at all. It's a vertical movement, meaning that your hand has to move a lot more to move your thumb, even if there is less distance between ABXY and the C-Stick than between ABXY and the CPP.
Just try yourself, move your thumb between Y and A and you'll see your whole hand is still, but while moving from anything to the C-Stick, your whole hand moves. And it's obviously better to have one resting position than switching between two all the time.

And for the second point, well anyone can understand that. The feeling of the CPP is the same as the left stick (which everyone has) so anyone can understand that a button that doesn't slide nor tilt makes less sense than something that does (otherwise, they'd have put the same kind of stuff on the left side to begin with, but they didn't). I can understand they had space limitations of course, but they didn't really need to assume that thanks to their C-Stick, no one would like to plug a CPP on a New 3DS too.

*notice that on a CPP'd 3DS, your hand isn't at the same position as on a non CPP'd 3DS, you're a bit shifted to the right, so really, moving from CPP to ABXY on a CPP'd is roughly the same as moving from A to Y on a non CPP'd but with less distance

Reactions: Shin, Slayerpon Tatsu and Blue Knight
The only thing I have a problem with is the SD card placement

I think, the only flaw of New 3DS are two:
1. The Micro SD placement is on the back of the 3DS instead of the side, so you have to open it with screws before being able to replace one.
2. Maybe it's just me, but I can't put Wireless Communication on or off via slider on the side, because it's been moved to the Home Menu settings if you're using New 3DS. This may be no good if you wanted to turn the Wi-Fi off on the fly in the middle of the game without navigating the menu, but it's no big deal most of the time.

I cannot say for certain, because I only want an N3DS to play Hyrule Warriors no problem. (I can live without 3D, but are there other things that would damper my Hyrule Warriors experience had I not gotten an N3DS?)

Ok guys. I just got the New 3DS XL system for my birthday. I was wondering, are there enough flaws in the system to make it worse than the old 3DS? For example, my friend had his system memory deleted three times. Count them, 3! That meant losing ALL HIS GAMES (and he had a lot too) 3 times! It was a major bummer. SO i'm just here to ask all New 3DS owners, do you like the New 3DS better than the old one? Comment to let me know!

Just want to point out that your friend issue about the memory seems like it might be his fault or a defective system, as I've never read reports about that before you mentioned it. Might want to have his sytem checked, or explain how he uses it because obviously it's not normal nor common.

Honestly, I think the New 3ds is way better than the old model except for the sd card slot, which I'm sure everyone hates by now;)

Back