New Super Nintendo game! (Dust off your SNES.)

• Thread starter Ace
  • Start date
Ace

Ace

Aaannnd boom! goes the Dynamite.
Towns Folk
Apparently a studio called Retroisim, is going to release a game for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System.

I think this is awesome, and I totally want a copy. But what do you guys think? Do you think this is good? or just a bad idea?

Reactions: Pandaxclone2 and Marc
I think it's a bit dumb. How many people do you still think own an original SNES and mhow many stores are willing to stock up a game for a 20 year old console?
On the modern day consoles, it would be fine.

Reactions: Mikaya
I mean, if you're into it, go for it.

Some things just aren't worth trying to put an explanation to. >w<

Eh, why not?
I just hope they'll release the rom too and not the cartridge only, because not everyone can play on a SNES.
(Note, it's not pirating if they release the rom themselves)

What are the odds people still own an SNES so they can play this game. It's a cool marketing decision but I doubt it's going to sell well. If the developers wanted the game to sell well then they'd put it on the eShop for New 3DS and Wii U. As cool as the game looks unless this game is MLG approved or something I probably will never play it.

Looks in corner, sees SNES, dusts off the 1000 year relic SNES, waits for game release!

I doubt this will sell well. Why even bother releasing a title for a really old console that no one actually owns anymore? Perhaps it could've been downloadable/sold as a Virtual console game for the 3DS/Wii U rather than an actual physical cartridge, that would've worked out much better. Not sure why Nintendo went down this route, to be honest.

Looks pretty AWESOME! However I wonder what there method of making a Super Nintendo Entertainment System cartridge would be, like how would they get the software and dev kit for example? Just a thought ;)

Reactions: etrian_warrior and Mikaya
I doubt this will sell well. Why even bother releasing a title for a really old console that no one actually owns anymore? Perhaps it could've been downloadable/sold as a Virtual console game for the 3DS/Wii U rather than an actual physical cartridge, that would've worked out much better. Not sure why Nintendo went down this route, to be honest.

Nintendo didn't have anything to do with this (beyond it being released on their system) if I recall correctly; it's Retroism who released the game and it's unclear whether or not they had a hand in making this happen. From the title of the studio and a little site browsing it seems like their modus operandi is to buy the licensing of old games (perhaps even cancelled/incomplete games) and then release them on platforms like Steam, GOG and more.

If anything I would bet this is a limited release, with the target demographic being retro gamers/collectors. There's plenty of other fan gaming sites out there that do similar practices.

Reactions: Mikaya and Ace
This does scream like a limited collector's thing, which is probably available only to those savvy old-fashioned gamers who got their SNES's and kept them in working condition. (Or bought theirs on Ebay for like $20 and made it work, 'cause internet has cleaning instructions. Or got one of those hipster new portable SNES consoles. Or... Just like collecting fringe retro console collectables.)

Maybe they'd bundle it with some re-release of an SNES, but that'd probably get them in trouble.

Reactions: Mikaya and Pandaxclone2
Back