Nintendo removing credit card option from 3DS and Wii U eShops

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Maybe it's because the consoles are getting old and they don't want to store credit card information in their old console systems, but Nintendo is removing the credit card option as a source of funding your eShop balance for the 3DS and Wii U in September.

I'm not sure if this applied to North America or if it's already been done, but I saw the news for Europe :nebby:

It's probably for the best.

• Informative
Reactions: Samster
Tbh, I think so, too. I think Eshop should solely use Eshop cards rather than credit cards anyway. There's too many instances where putting your info out there makes people wanna steal it and put you in a jam, y'know?

But you can use Eshop cards and not have to worry about it. :D

Reactions: Samster
I only ever used eShop cards so yeah, doesn't bother me.

Reactions: Starry Windy
This is messed up. Nintendo shouldn't remove the option to pay for games on the 3DS and Wii U with your credit card.

Reactions: Kitsune_Sakura64
This is messed up. Nintendo shouldn't remove the option to pay for games on the 3DS and Wii U with your credit card.
Have you ever used it? I only ever use eShop cards.

Just use eShop cards

You can use a credit card to get an eShop card too. So there's that.

Reactions: Agentperson
You can use a credit card to get an eShop card too. So there's that.
I was just about to say the same thing

BIG BRAIN

My only issue with this is odds are the money amount you have in eShop cards will always be more than the game you want and after that you get a couple cents left over so you are sorta wasting money. I never did this as I always used eShop cards but the problem is there.

So I read some news, and it says that the removal of credit card option in 3DS and Wii U might have to do with European Parliament's new ruling called PSD2. Maybe that's why North America didn't receive the news while European people did?

Still, if the change also applies to North America, it doesn't affect me by much because I tend to use eShop cards.

Actually, this makes your card less susceptible to possible cyber attacks from hackers and other things, and using a card can allow you to get as much as you need. The only downside is, you can't just pay for one game, now you have to use a card and have $1 or something.

i hope this does not mean that e shop on 3ds and wii u will be taken off in the near future.
but i understand that they are shifting gears towards managing switch e shop more.
although this is rather sudden and quite a surprise for this change to occur.
indeed it is goodthat eshop cards are still usable on those devces

If they're taking away the ability to use credit cards on 3DS and Wii U eShops then why don't they do the same thing with the switch?

If they're taking away the ability to use credit cards on 3DS and Wii U eShops then why don't they do the same thing with the switch?
Because they don't care about the Wii U and 3DS anymore.

Because the security on the switch is modern and is there, compared to the wii u and 3ds which is slowly fading out.

I can definitely foresee the 3ds and Wii u online systems starting to shut down at this point, I'm sure there is still a few years away for both systems but just like the Wii Nintendo is slowly curbing the eshop and Nintendo online as the Switch further gets popular.

Makes sense, not that Nintendo's online service is expensive to maintain on both systems anyways.

I always used my debit card....
having a leftover balance annoys me

having a leftover balance annoys me
Same here, I have, like, 36 pence leftover or something

The ability is removed from the eShop application, however you can still use them to buy games and add funds using the website.
So right now, it is basically an extra step.

Still, if the change also applies to North America, it doesn't affect me by much because I tend to use eShop cards.
I think the most likely reason is convenience for them, as they would have less commissions from credit cards and would reduce hassle from making future stability updates (at least for the 3DS)

Back