• Thread starter Nessboy12
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nessboy12

Nessboy12

ULTIMATE LES GET IT
Towns Folk
Hey. I'm having bad internet on the switch. In general, I can only get full strength when I'm literally next to the router. The only reason I can play online is because I turned my computer into a hotspot. But since it's on a different floor, I can only play online in handheld mode. My speeds and signal are both SUPER weak on the switch when it's docked. It's in the same room as every console I have, but they all connect fine with max strength. But this can only get half strength at most. I can't even play online in docked. Anyone have any solutions? (Besides attaching the joy-cons to the system.)

Reactions: Gamer4647
Do you have a Switch LAN adapter? If you wired your internet to it, it might help.

No, I don't have a lan adapter. I plan on getting one soon, but I guess in the meantime, I can just settle for handheld online play.

I wish I could help more, but things like this are super user specific. Somebody would probably need to be there and see your personal set-up before they could offer any help better than normal tips and tricks that sometimes help. Hope you get it figured out.

Try and get an ethernet / LAN adapter to connect directly or a wifi repeater (hardware, not computer software) in your room to get a stronger signal. I'm having the same issues because my room is exactly opposite the room with the router in. I'm only lucky because I have a computer in my room, although the two extensions (one for the consoles and TV, and one for the computer) take up the two plugs, and they're hard to get to. I still have to ditch the TV if I want to use the computer and keep the Switch charger so that I can use it anywhere.

Reactions: Mikaya
Discipline your switch's internet severely until it learns how to be good.

Reactions: Nessboy12
Discipline your switch's internet severely until it learns how to be good.
Instructions not clear, Switch died.
J to the K

Anyway, like I said before, physical repeater or Ethernet. Even better is a repeater with an Ethernet connection, so you don't have the cable trailing up the stairs or between rooms, and so there's no interference with the Switch's fragile WiFi. Here's a list of possible WiFi extenders on PC World / Curry. Probably won't apply for you if you're not in the UK, but eh.

So you are having some issues too! I actually thought it was my internet connection because internet speed in my country is not really good, it sucks. But hey, my game room is not next to the router so I thought that was the reason. Then I started noticing that sometimes the internet strength varied, I actually have no clue about it.

Another thing is if the router is far away, the WiFi connection seems to be better when holding up the Switch in the air, rather than having it sat on drawers or surrounded by stuff. It's weird.

I have had problems with the Switch's wifi connection up until the newest firmware update for the system, 3.0.0. After the update, it had far fewer connection issues in general, and worked much better when far away from the router.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had problems with the Switch's wifi connection up until the newest firmware update for the system, 3.0.0. After the update, it had far fewer connection issues in general, and worked much better when far away from the router.
Seems to be better in the dock, which is both up and across from the router. >.>
Still fluctuating between 1 and 2 bars though.

Seems to be better in the dock, which is both up and across from the router. >.>
Still fluctuating between 1 and 2 bars though.
Nope, still doesn't actually work in it. I blame the drawers, because it gets a good signal at the door and computer.

My family installed stronger internet, so I have a full signal around the house. However, when I bring the switch downstairs (Which is where my dock is) The speeds get annoyingly low. Upstairs, they're blazing fast. I have tested it with both joy cons on both times, so I don't think that's the issue. Maybe my TV and wii u are interfering?

My family installed stronger internet, so I have a full signal around the house. However, when I bring the switch downstairs (Which is where my dock is) The speeds get annoyingly low. Upstairs, they're blazing fast. I have tested it with both joy cons on both times, so I don't think that's the issue. Maybe my TV and wii u are interfering?
They most likely aren't. I have a few recommendations: does your router have antennas? If so, you can purchase antennas from your local electronics store (Fry's, etc.) and swap the pre-installed antennas for the new ones. If your router doesn't have that, connect your phone to your router and use it as a hotspot. Maybe even try restarting your router. An internet cable won't do anything unless you're setting up a second router under the same signal which acts like a repeater. Hope this helps :)

My internet works like a charm, thx for the support guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back