Nintendo Switch Update 4.0: 30 Second Video Clips, Transferring Save Data, pre-purchasing, e.t.c!

• Thread starter Arshan
  • Start date
Arshan

Arshan

The Gucci Mining Diamonds Gang
Towns Folk
A new Nintendo Switch Update has been released. This system update adds many new features.

Source: http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22525/p/897

Included in the update, according to Nintendo's official website:

"
Improvements Included in Version 4.0.0 (Distributed 10/18/2017)
Added the following system functionality

• Capture video on select games
    • To capture video, hold down the Capture Button during gameplay
    • Up to a maximum of the previous 30 seconds will be saved in the Album. You can trim the beginning and end of each clip, and post to Facebook and Twitter.
    • As of October 18th, 2017, this feature is compatible with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS, and Splatoon 2
  • Select from 12 new Super Mario Odyssey and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild icons for your user
    • To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Profile
  • Transfer user and save data to another system
  • Pre-purchase option on Nintendo eShop
    • A pre-purchase option will be available for certain games. This option allows pre-load of the game to your system for quicker play when the game is released.
    • This feature will be supported by future game releases
  • News channel updates
    • The news feed has been updated with a new look.
    • Unfollowing a channel will remove that channel's content from the news feed and following the channel again will make it reappear.
  • Match software version with a group of local users
    • To create a group, head to the software's Options > Software Update > Match Version with Local Users
    • Everyone's software will be updated to match the most recent version in the group
    • All users must be on system menu version 4.0.0 or later to view and join a group"
Also, not stated in the update was that there is a joycon update (manual update you have to do yourself), currently, nobody knows what it does (probably has to do with video recording) and also if you've played a game between 1-4 hours then the switch will show you that now.

THOUGHTS:
This was a good update to me. The recording feature isn't the best thing out there but it works as more of a temporary solution. Expecting at least a longer recording feature if recording is going to be something we need to pay for. Transferring save data isn't too special. The Pre-purchase option is cool and will help to prevent eshop crashes in the future. Haven't checked out the news channel yet, didn't mind the old one but it wasn't my favourite. And matching software versions with local users is good for people who might not have internet.

Reactions: Marc
This seems pretty cool if Nintendo considering on the Wii U the only games with built in screen recorders that I know of and own are Mario Kart 8 and smash 4. So this seems nice of Nintendo for any switch users

Love the video capture feature. Would have been better if it was up to one whole minute ;-;

A question about the save transfers.. is it local only or can we transfer save data to anyone?

This seems pretty cool if Nintendo considering on the Wii U the only games with built in screen recorders that I know of and own are Mario Kart 8 and smash 4. So this seems nice of Nintendo for any switch users
It's nice that we can record more freely now. However the recording feature is only 720p to save space and it will only record Zelda, ARMS, MK8 Deluxe, and Splatoon 2 for now. I'm sure more games will be added in the future though. 30 seconds isn't enough time to record matches. It's more just for recording good moments.

Love the video capture feature. Would have been better if it was up to one whole minute ;-;

A question about the save transfers.. is it local only or can we transfer save data to anyone?
I'd think it's local only. Haven't checked any of these features yet on my switch.

Yeah, the video capture thing would have been better if it was longer. It's more meant for shorter clips of cool things like quadruple splats in splatoon 2. I'm also a little surprised we aren't allowed to upload videos from ARMS Replay to the internet. Sad we can't upload these to youtube either, but pretty sure it's just nintendo wanting free advertisement when we upload them to facebook and twitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back