Gen 2 Pokemon Crystal Virtual Console Announced for 3DS!

• Thread starter Big Yoshi
  • Start date
Big Yoshi

Big Yoshi

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
It was expected they will release it someday. It's cool they finnaly announced it, but the coolest thing is that there is a way to catch Celebi (it said "Encounter the Mythical Pokemon Celebi"). There was a way to catch it, but it was very limited, and today the only 2 ways to Encounter it on the Game Boy Color are cheating or glitching. If you didn't play a second generation main game before, pick it up. The best generation in my opinion.

Trailer:

Reactions: Marc and Duffy
That's pretty neat.

How good is Pokemon Crystal compared to the other VC Pokemon games?

How good is Pokemon Crystal compared to the other VC Pokemon games?

It introduced a few recurring staples to the franchise such as animated sprites, event legendaries that you can actually catch in the game itself, the female trainer option and Battle Tower. Aside from that the plot itself is Gold/Silver's plot but reworked to include Suicune and Eusine (a person searching after the aforementioned Pokemon), as such nearly everything that Gold and Silver brought to the franchise is here too.

Essentially it is the "best" version of generation II's games.

Reactions: Kakea, Duffy and Marc
It's only problem for some people is that you can't catch Mareep in that game, so no Ampharos without trading.

So it will be coming quite soon, eh? Pokémon Crystal coming to 3DS is kinda long overdue, because they didn't release it along with Gold and Silver VC back then. However, when I heard that Mareep is not there, I might reconsider if I want to get Crystal or not. So probs I might want to get it along with either Gold or Silver if I wanted to enjoy 2nd Gen games.

Is Mareep that big of a deal-breaker for some people? Generally they never allow you to catch all Pokemon in the third title anyway so it's to be expected IMO.

Reactions: Duffy
It's one of the most useable Pokemons in the game, but you can always find a replacement for him (you don't even have to use an Electric-type Pokemon on your team)

Reactions: Starry Windy
The best compromise would be to just get either Gold or Silver along with Crystal and trade it over, or if you're like me and you don't mind using glitches you can get Mareep through glitching in Crystal.

The big problem for some people is that it requires 2 consoles and 2 games.
And if you glitch, you could get any Pokemon in the game with the coincase glitch, so you could use a full team of legendaries. I don't think Ampharos is compareable to legendaries.

The big problem for some people is that it requires 2 consoles and 2 games.
And if you glitch, you could get any Pokemon in the game with the coincase glitch, so you could use a full team of legendaries. I don't think Ampharos is compareable to legendaries.

Your former point is correct. Your latter point on the other hand doesn't really hold up. In my experience, getting that set up for the output of a single Pokemon at a time means you should get what you want, not what you don't need. Not saying you couldn't theoretically glitch the game for any Pokemon though, but it'd be a big effort for small payback each time. Best to just get what isn't available to you within the game.

Reactions: Fantivity
Gen 2 is my favorite. I honestly thinks its the best thing Pokemon ever did. I originally played Pokemon Heartgold version, not realizing it was a remake. When I found out that Gold and Silver had been on the Gameboy, I instantly had to get Gold on my 3DS. Crystal is the only third version of a Pokemon game that I haven't played before, so I'm thinking of getting it. Especially with that Celebi event. I remember doing the Celebi event for Heartgold and that was fun. I have so much hype for Crystal right now!

Reactions: Pandaxclone2
Especially with that Celebi event. I remember doing the Celebi event for Heartgold and that was fun.

The Celebi event in Crystal is much different from the one in HGSS. You don't get any of that trippy time-travel stuff but it's still arguably awesome.

I think the game is out now. Anyone got it?

Interesting tidbit, Celebi can actually be shiny in Crystal! So you can actually shiny hunt for Celebi now. :D I also heard it has 5 IVs when you transfer it? Which kind of sucks, because no HP Fire then, but still!

Reactions: Marc
Interesting tidbit, Celebi can actually be shiny in Crystal! So you can actually shiny hunt for Celebi now. :D I also heard it has 5 IVs when you transfer it? Which kind of sucks, because no HP Fire then, but still!
Can you transfer it to the latest gen games? I don't think a 5 IV would matter otherwise :monkey:

Can you transfer it to the latest gen games? I don't think a 5 IV would matter otherwise :monkey:

Yeah, you transport it with Poke Transporter to Bank! The VC Gen 1 & 2 games, as well as Gen 5 all use it.

Reactions: Marc
I think the game is out now. Anyone got it?
Just bought it! Downloading now!

How do you get Celebi in Crystal on 3dsVC? also wouldn't transferring mess up IVs because they work different in gens 1 and 2 (I think they are like DVs and go to 15 in those games or something)?

How do you get Celebi in Crystal on 3dsVC? also wouldn't transferring mess up IVs because they work different in gens 1 and 2 (I think they are like DVs and go to 15 in those games or something)?

Here's a post on how to get Celebi! Yeah, the IVs are determined once you transfer the Pokemon to Bank. It's the same with abilities: all Pokemon from the VC games have their hidden ability once transferred, and I believe have at least 3 random IVs. Here's a post on how to manipulate the nature of your Pokemon upon transfer as well. Unfortunately, once you transfer whatever Pokeball you used to catch the Pokemon is changed to a normal Pokeball. So no HA Apriball legendaries! :(

Back