Science

• Thread starter Jack
  • Start date
Jack

Jack

♪ I think I'll try defying gravity ♪
Towns Folk
Science is one of the main subjects students learn about in school, but it is a very broad term. There are many fields of science, so what are your favorites?

I don't enjoy math and science as much as some other subjects, but if I had to choose, I would say my favorite field of science is ecology, closely followed by meteorology. In biology during freshman year, I really enjoyed the ecology unit much more than I did the genetics unit. I'm most interested in the ways in which different species interact with each other. I like meteorology because I'm interested in the various climates of different regions of the world. This year in school, my science class is physics, and I'm not looking forward to it at all :[

You don't like math, then why on EARTH would you enjoy genetics? DNA is basically math math mathie mathy math. With a few terms thrown around here and there.

Ecology? Might as well take environmental science too. Find out how the destructive human species is interacting with the life around them to mess everything up and corrupt the world. Pretty fun stuff. I mean, extremely fun. Who doesn't like expanding deserts? Heck, I live in a desert right now!

Physics? Best branch of science that illuminates a harmonic merger of math and theory that is the lesser, yet the greater, of both parties. Nah, I'm just kidding, its basically Math 2.0. Even rocket science uses basic physics with "specific impulse" and whatnot. You learn Newtonian mechanics or even electricity and magnetism. Maybe with a sprinkle of thermodynamics. Just make sure math is your religion and second language.

Then chemistry. Depending on which discipline you choose to study, it'll probably seem like Math 3.0. Other disciplines of chemistry (like organic) require less math.

I love science, but I'm an engineer. I believe scientists and engineers possess a mutual relationship.

My friend wants to be an environmental engineer... What in the world is that? Like seriously, I need a straight answer. I even dare you to answer.

Reactions: TheSpiritedWarrior and J9794
You don't like math, then why on EARTH would you enjoy genetics? DNA is basically math math mathie mathy math. With a few terms thrown around here and there.

I don't know if you misread what I wrote but I said I enjoyed ecology much more than genetics e.e

My friend wants to be an environmental engineer... What in the world is that? Like seriously, I need a straight answer. I even dare you to answer.

Q28vN7N.png

I don't know if you misread what I wrote but I said I enjoyed ecology much more than genetics e.e
I know. No where in my post do I contradict your malediction of genetics; it rather explains why you psychologically don't like that particular discipline of biology.

A simpleton response, and not the particular one I have in mind. Of course, the original inquiry was rhetorical in design. Yet, you prove my rhetoric doesn't work... At all. :cry:

Let's get off the topic of big words I don't understand like "malediction" and get back on the topic of science, shall we? :^)

EDIT: lol I googled "malediction" and that would imply I actively disliked it, when in reality I only said I did not enjoy it as much as ecology.

Last edited:
Let's get off the topic of big words I don't understand like "malediction" and get back on the topic of science, shall we? :^)
I happily concur... Er, agree. ;) *tosses thesaurus in the trash can*

Care to discuss astronomy? It's my favorite science subject. The New Horizons probe approached Pluto. I still don't think its a planet though.

Science is one of the main subjects students learn about in school, but it is a very broad term. There are many fields of science, so what are your favorites?

I don't enjoy math and science as much as some other subjects, but if I had to choose, I would say my favorite field of science is ecology, closely followed by meteorology. In biology during freshman year, I really enjoyed the ecology unit much more than I did the genetics unit. I'm most interested in the ways in which different species interact with each other. I like meteorology because I'm interested in the various climates of different regions of the world. This year in school, my science class is physics, and I'm not looking forward to it at all :[
I took physical science last year and hated it but loved biology, mostly because the teacher made it awesome to learn. I am currently taking computer science, the stuff is fun to learn, but the teacher sucks

Earth Space Science is my absolute favorite field of science. I too take a light interest in the differing climates of our world. I also love how colorful, beautiful, and vibrant all the galaxies, stars, and other celestial bodies make the dark and quiet universe. There is seriously nothing more spectacular visually! :D

Taking Forensic Science this year. Burning stuff is fun :thumbsup:

Reactions: 3823
Math and the formal sciences. Are we even counting computer science as a science? because that sounds interesting to me :p, I love how stuff is logically deduced.

I have mixed feelings with the regular sciences, I like knowing how the world works and stuff, but I could never really get into reading a physics or chemistry book, and I didn't specially enjoy those subjects on university (but maybe the bad professors are to blame in this case).

Science is awesome. I am more into Biology than I am into Chemistry, but between both of them, both have quite a bit of math. I find it a bit odd that you like science and hate math because they are in the same league. If you hate 1 of those subjects, you will likely hate the other.

If I were you, I wouldn't talk down on physics as boring at all. I know in school physics looks boring because you're probably doing classical mechanics, but take some at look at things like general relativity, quantum mechanics, quantum field theory, the Higgs boson, cosmology, string theory, etc. and you'll find that physics can be extremely exciting. I am trying to learn the required mathematics so that one day I can understand and explain these concepts. So don't rule out physics so hastily! :)

If I were you, I wouldn't talk down on physics as boring at all. I know in school physics looks boring because you're probably doing classical mechanics, but take some at look at things like general relativity, quantum mechanics, quantum field theory, the Higgs boson, cosmology, string theory, etc. and you'll find that physics can be extremely exciting. I am trying to learn the required mathematics so that one day I can understand and explain these concepts. So don't rule out physics so hastily! :)
He didn't say anything about actual Physics being boring. He just said he wasn't looking forward to the class.

He didn't say anything about actual Physics being boring. He just said he wasn't looking forward to the class.
Oh, then never mind, I didn't really understand what exactly he meant.

im a freshman and i hate biology its so simple and easy, so for now i read my sisters physics book.

im a freshman and i hate biology its so simple and easy, so for now i read my sisters physics book.
I'm not super interested in biology but if you want a challenge in that subject I suggest Charles Darwin's Origin of Species or something by Ronald Fisher (who was an English statistician, biologist, and also used mathematics to unite Mendelian genetics with natural selection, helping to create the modern evolutionary synthesis.

Back