Etrian Odyssey Should I get EO4 or Untold? (Based on Persona Q)

• Thread starter ErixSan
  • Start date
ErixSan

ErixSan

Somehow still top 3 poster after 3 years.
Towns Folk
Hi!
I promised to visit this place a couple of times, so I think I have a good idea for this one...

I saw both Etrian Oddyssey 4 and Untold are again on sale, and considering the CN thing, I wanted to get them now but then I had a little thing to consider... Can I really play it?

This is the thing, I love Persona Q battle and story, but the exploration part (aka the heart of EO gameplay) made me tired and I finished starting to play another game instead :/

I played the demo of EO4 long time ago so I know the gameplay is similar, and despite that I don't like all my characters at the same time, my mine problem is how repetitive the gameplay is...

Note: I will buy the Mystery Dungeon and Etrian Oddysey cross-over, giving me an extra reason to ask.
@dwikrid You're the biggest fan of the series I know here

Reactions: faustine
I'd say you should get etrian odessy untold. It has a story mode in it with some bits of voice acting added in also. It also has bigger dungeons than EO4 and 3 difficulty levels so even if you are new to the game you won't be overwhelmed by how hard it is. I haven't played EO4 but it has smaller dungeons in it I believe but no story mode. There is a hot baloon riding mechanic that is exclusive to EO4. Overall I'd say to get EOU but that might just be because it's the only one in the series I've played.

EO series is famous for its difficulty. I haven't played Persona Q, but based on what I heard, EO series is still harder. With difficulty level option, I still recommend to play "Normal" since it's not rewarding to play in Easy mode.

It's true that Untold has characters talking to each other, when classic EO has "you" as party representative and the NPC. It's not that classic EO has no story, but it does not involve characters in your party.

The skill system is different than Persona, of course, and you may rearrange skill points (you cannot master everything, instead balancing/complementing each character) by sacrificing level. Untold has Grimoire system, but many EO player didn't like it.

And yes, you might still dislike the exploration part. That's what EO series stands for: Exploration Odyssey :p

I'd say get Etrian Odyssey Untold, you get a two in one. It has the character driven story, with the addition of 2 extra classes and also the classic story, where you assemble your party of five adventurers just like the first one, but the monsters and FOEs have 3D models. youtube search FOE, its truly phenominal >:3.

Both EOU and EO4 are great entries to the series, and are easier to manage compared to the first three installments.

I was only able to complete the EO1 for the NDS and the main portion of EO4. EO4 has a post dungeon and a few bosses which highlights what makes this series so damn hard but also rewarding.

Back