Should more Nintendo games have in-app purchases?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Team Kirby Clash Deluxe lets you purchase gem apples in exchange for real money via eShop to play faster, unlock levels and obtain gear to fight enemies. I think there is a Pokemon spin-off game that does the same.

Do you think more Nintendo games should have in-app purchases or do you think the company should focus on making games with one set price tag as they have been normally doing? (not counting paid DLC).

No pls. Just make us pay once and get it over with.

Reactions: Ashkil, Kitsune_Sakura64, Mikaya and 1 other person
No pls. Just make us pay once and get it over with.
Absolutely. Nobody wants to be playing Zelda and all of a sudden, "pay 9.99 for this sword that has 5 damage!"

Reactions: Kitsune_Sakura64
Microtransations shouldn't be a thing.. If you want money from games either set up donations or make it paied.

There's no need for microtransations, and no game that I will make will have them. Does Nintendo really need that much more money that they're starting to do this now?

Reactions: V_Weeb
I feel iffy on this. Fr one it's nice to have the option, in case you don't wanna have to grind for everything, but on the other hand, if they are introduced they always become a necessity to play the game. I think having a few freemium games is good, for the people who want them, but keep micro transactions out of any payed games.

Reactions: 28142
I feel iffy on this. Fr one it's nice to have the option, in case you don't wanna have to grind for everything,

If a game has so much grinding that you'd ratber pay money than do any more, that's the fault of the game dev for not making it balanced. Having the option to pay doesn't excuse them.

Reactions: Kalomaze and TribstyAnn
If a game has so much grinding that you'd ratber pay money than do any more, that's the fault of the game dev for not making it balanced. Having the option to pay doesn't excuse them.
Yeah, you're right. I feel like micro transactions could be done right, they just haven't yet.

That litually just reminds me of WarFarm, though that has grinding done right since you can get everything from grinding. Including the premium currency.

I'm against the idea, because if I want more add-ons/features, I'd want them for free since I paid for the actual title.

I think some players complained that they had to pay for more plays in Nintendo Badge Arcade, so I don't think Nintendo should go down the route of addition of Micro-transactions, Unless they want unhappy customers forking out more money when they can use it to pay towards more games and other rl stuff. xD

Reactions: V_Weeb
I'm personally really against the idea of micro-transactions. For starters, If you actually FEEl like you need to buy some special in-game currently just to beat a certain boss or get something that is needed to get into the story, then the devs did a bad job of keeping it balance. But I feel like it should be there just in case a certain player it way too lazy and just want to have a powerful weapon from the very start of the game. I also feel like there is a better way of micro-transactions but nobody has discovered that.

Absolutely. Nobody wants to be playing Zelda and all of a sudden, "pay 9.99 for this sword that has 5 damage!"

XD
Really, though! This is what I feel that game has been doing to me. ;w;
In order to prevent this, I have been skipping tiers on Kirby's weapons and armor. >w>

(I'd also like to add I have a plentiful amount of shards; yet gem apples are rather scarce. I wonder why... )

Even though I support some free-to-start Ninty games like aforementioned Team Kirby Clash DX, I think Nintendo should have more games with one-set price because the games will be much fairer that way. I think it would be much better if anyone will be able to get some big items by their own efforts rather than just paying some real-life cash for it. Besides, if the micro-transaction games are broken in any sense (unbeatable levels without paying for something), I think it would be lose-lose solutions for developers and gamers alike. I knew it because well, I've been there once after that hand-cramp incident due to playing one of those :panda:

I've never thought any microtransactions are really worth it. I'd rather wait a little while than actually paying even though I'm impatient. DLC is different though. I'd pay for DLC just for the heck of seeing something new, hip, and fresh. If I were to review games with transactions I would just give them bad or average reviews for the inconvenience of it all.

So I didn't mind the Fire Emblem or Phoenix Wright DLC. Adding in new levels without affecting or cutting away from the base game seems fine by me, and asking for a relatively minor amount for it is okay. But we don't want a CoD, pay $9.99 to press X to pay respects situation (you should know @Marc ). And once you open up microtransactions for one or two games, the floodgates start to burst open.

The sole purpose of games with microtransactions is to milk as much money as possible from the poor souls who actually think they are enjoying it. It's my opinion that if a game is so challenging/restricting/boring that you feel the need to spend money in order to enjoy it (or to play it at all), it's not worth playing. My least favourite kind of game is that which restricts you to a certain number of rounds or sets a time limit (every smartphone game ever?), forcing you to either wait or purchase more game time.

Players should be rewarded for playing, not punished.

Paid DLCs are another matter entirely. I would gladly pay money to add more content to a game I like, as long as the price isn't to high. But purchasing a game that's unfair/unbalanced without it's DLCs? No way.

So no, I don't want more games with microtransactions. I prefer games that require skill to beat, not wealth.

I think in-app purchases are absolutely terrible things made by greedy developers who limit a game and say: "Not enjoying the game much? Well don't worry and waste your money on something you should have had already! Yay!" DLC's are fine because it's nice to have more content added to a game but to purposefully lessen a game just so you get more money is terrible.

I think nintendo has been characterized by delivering full games at launch, I mean, launching a game without the need of buying content that was not in the original version. That started happening with zelda breath of the wild, and I remember Anouma saying that they had decided to include and develop a dlc because they wanted to take advantage of the already existing Hyrule. I agree up to a point, I mean, it is really good that you re-use the amazing landscape of Hyrule, but I don´t like the fact that they are turning that into a dlc. I think nintendo should stick to its origins on this one and continue delivering completed games as they always did.

I think that Nintendo would be better off conning its current strategy of only making you pay once for a game. This worked pretty well for Super Mario Run, and I don't see why it wouldn't work in the future. If anyone remembers, this is how the Appstore used to work. Angry Birds and the like only required one purchase one time.

Nope, this is a terrible idea and I hate it. I prefer the old days where I could buy a game and that would be that. Nowadays, you need to pay £50 for the base game, £30 for the DLC, £10 for an online subscription monthly, then £2 every day for microtransactions... those kinds of things, and it's really annoying.

I don't even play anything outside of the base games anyway. It's pointless and greedy for companies to charge double the price of the original game just to get the complete thing, microtransactions are the worst offender. It's like water - it comes and flies away so quickly, draining you. I hate it.

Granted, I still play many of these games with microtransactions - they're free, after all - but I absolutely never buy anything. Give me the free stuff and that is all, but I'm not paying for weak powerups that will slip through like water.

Back