Smartphones might get amiibo support

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
We already have Miitomo, Pokemon Go and soon we're going to see Super Mario Run in Apple's App Store. Those aren't the only games by Nintendo we're going to get on smartphones.

In 2017, we're getting Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing as well.

Shigeri Miyamoto hinted that there might be amiibo support with smartphones using NFC technology :
Shigeri Miyamoto said:
There's nothing we can announce today but It's certainly an area we're interested in, and today Apple announced some new news about their NFC technology. Until the announcement this morning there wasn't a whole lot we could do, but now we can look at what they've said and how we might have an opportunity to use that.

What are your thoughts? :D

Please let it work through a screen protector. All I ask for >.>
And maybe they could do something amiibos on Super Mario Run

I just don't want to pay for extra hardware to use them on a smartphone. The built-in cameras on most phones are pretty powerful, and can use most things, so my suspicions could be minor.

Another great idea would be using the AR cards and other collectibles from 3DS games. It'd be pretty easy.

I hope there's more of a use for them in the future, like to use in a camera app that generates the characters in the camera with you, or interesting content for a mobile game. Maybe Mario maker will get a phone sequel in the near future? (After its 3DS copy comes out of course.)

It sound interesting, and it would certainly be very cool but older devices likely wouldn't have the capabilities to do so, and that would definitely put a damper on the idea. But if it means I can use my Mewtwo Amiibo to encounter Mewtwo in Pokemon Go, or Pikachu to create a temporary Pikachu nest, I'm all in for upgrading.

It sounds interesting but will it function? It's all good saying something but if it doesn't work why bother? And does anyone remember the "one amiibo per game"? Which means if you already are using an amiibo then you won't be able to use it for the smartphone. And that older phones will struggle as bad as anyone trying to play Pokémon go. I don't know though, to me it sounds like a bad idea.

We already have Miitomo, Pokemon Go and soon we're going to see Super Mario Run in Apple's App Store. Those aren't the only games by Nintendo we're going to get on smartphones.

In 2017, we're getting Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing as well.

Shigeri Miyamoto hinted that there might be amiibo support with smartphones using NFC technology :

What are your thoughts? :D
If they do it, they'd better also release a "Bluetooth amiibo Reader/Writer", just like the Reader/Writer they did with the old 3DS, because, while it's nice for those with NFC-compatible phones (also, there's not much work to do, since hackers already fiddled with detecting amiibo on various phones and devices), they shouldn't forget that NFC-compatible phones that are actually affordable are scarce, and such, it'll cause the typical "I bought amiibo X and it doesn't work on my device while it should!" situation.

If they actually do this, I can't wait! But, as D4rkDragon said, they better release an NFC Reader/Writer with it! But I also love the ideas of Fire Emblem and Animal crossing games coming out! Speaking of Animal Crossing, do you think for the amiibo support for that game, they will do something stupid like the animal crossing amiibo cards again? I hated the amiibo card idea! They can get ruined so much easier than a normal figure can! I mean, you only need the base for an amiibo figure, but if you even get a crease on the amiibo card, it doesn't work anymore! Seriously guys, do you hate the idea of animal crossing amiibo Cards too?

It be good, but I might need get a phone, because I can't even get the friend to friend thing on miitomo too work on my pc.

As D4rk said, a reader/writer would be required as not all phones are NFC-compatible, much less with the amiibo's specific kind of tag sooo...

Um, it looks like it won't be so beneficial... Like, what would it add to a game that is just Mario running and jumping and smashing Goombas? Like, a power-up or something?
Also, Shigeri Miyamoto?

Reactions: Blue Knight
I'm kinda curious on how the amiibos would function if it was compatible with smartphones. Anyway I'm kinda excited.

It would be cool but I just don't see that happening. Mobile gaming is supposed to be played on the go. Your gonna tell me you're just going to bring your amiibo everywhere you go just in case you have a few minutes to stop and play a nintendo game? I really don't think for that reason it's not going to happen and amiibo will just stick with the 3ds and the Wii U/Switch

My reaction: MA GET DA FONE IMA GET MAH MARIO AMIIBO! XD I'm sorry.

Back