[Smash4] Beware the "Smash Purgatory" glitch !

• Thread starter D4rkDragon
  • Start date
D4rkDragon

D4rkDragon

Lemon Dragon
Towns Folk
Hi everybody,

I am making this post just to warn you out of a glitch that seems to target many players lately. @Shelton_Xeno (+ Credit to him for the "Smash Purgatory" term I'll use here) can tell you more about it, since he has been the first (probably) to experience it on here, and from what he said, along with a few links in his threads, I decided to investigate the matter (I didn't played, but I did some quick research).

Apparently, this glitch is triggered by getting banned/reported many times. In case where you don't know, you can be reported/banned for those reasons:

-Attacking the same player
-Massive Taunting Parties (a few players admitted being pushed to "Smash Purgatory" after taunting too much)
-Offensive Miis (whether it be the name or the appearance)
-Toxic attitude (stalling, SD-ing on purpose)
-Being idle for too long
-Insults (using those bubbles that appear when taunting)
-DC-ing voluntarily

So, what does Smash Purgatory looks like ? Well, according to data I've gathered around the Internet, it presents the following symptoms:

-> Facing the same players again, again and again.
-> Opponents have a terrible connection, as if they were using their phone's connections to play.
-> Opponents will throw massive taunting parties, and will likely "teabag" the one who doesn't taunt (3v1).
-> Opponents are apparently "tougher" than what you could find in vanilla For Glory/For Fun. And essentially have a way more toxic behaviour than what you may find in a regular FG/FF battle.
-> Opponents generally have offensive names/appearances.
-> Finding opponents takes a long time (some people reported waiting up to 30 minutes !)

People also reported that the ban system gets pretty messy on that Smash Purgatory server, in the sense that, to quote somebody from SmashBoards: "you can go make yourself a sandwich, when you'll be back, you'll be able to resume the battle from where you left it" -> You're not disconnected for going idle, and apparently, targeting the same player isn't counted anymore as well.

So, how to get out of it ? Simple: Don't play For Glory/For Fun for a few days or weeks, or if you do, try to act as a exemplary player. Battles with Friends are still available, so, you may still challenge somebody from Pedia in the meanwhile.

The glitch seems to concern both the WiiU version and the 3DS version, and apparently, people who called Nintendo (Europe or America) reported that Nintendo told them they weren't banned, and they were told this is a glitch.

That's all I've found around the Internet. Considering the glitch affects both versions and the latest updates, I think I'll pin it, however, if @Marc, @Spinnerweb or @Mikaya do think it's not necessary, I leave them the right of unpinning it without even telling me (they're the admins, after all :D !)

In conclusion: Play safely, and you should be fine. If you still manage to get in Smash Purgatory accidentally, then, avoid playing For Glory or For Fun, or prepare yourself to face hell reincarnated in Smash form.

(Credits again to @Shelton_Xeno for posting the threads, causing me to investigate)

Last edited:
Reactions: Derplink_:3, SonicSpeed, Slayerpon Tatsu and 8 others
This is fairly interesting. If only this was some sort of hidden game mode and you could see if you were in it. Perhaps this is all a series of strange coincidences or something but in some cases I may be inclined to believe I may be affected by this. Personally I wouldn't mind this apart from the lag and disrespect. But imo I'm not affected by this yet.

Reactions: Shelton_Xeno
This is helpful and someone should make a thread where victims of this can go on that thread and choose someone to fight because of the for fun/glory thing.

Reactions: Shelton_Xeno
I am one of the targets for smash purgatory! It gets soooooo annoying! I keep battling this guys named troy AND he keeps taunting me.

Reactions: Shelton_Xeno and Link Master
Wow... I haven't experienced it yet, but wow. This glitch sounds very bad. But I don't think it'll ever effect me because I don't
play For Glory or For Fun that often, but the effects sound terrifying... good luck to all those effected...

That's actually really funny/sad, though..."teabagging" the guy who doesn't taunt?

Sounds like this could be the plot of a somewhat decent creepypasta.

Reactions: Con-0-Tron
Oh noes i better warn my friend's about this! Apparently some one in a roblox group got banned for like bizilion minute's but he just got back on recently :eek: I wont be playing smash online for quite a bit if this keep's happening because i was gonna go on smash online tonight and fight! I hope people find out about this! Because the last thing my friend (who is like a smash addict) want's is to get banned.

Oh noes i better warn my friend's about this! Apparently some one in a roblox group got banned for like bizilion minute's but he just got back on recently :eek: I wont be playing smash online for quite a bit if this keep's happening because i was gonna go on smash online tonight and fight! I hope people find out about this! Because the last thing my friend (who is like a smash addict) want's is to get banned.
You're chances of actually getting banned is very high if you're actually doing wrong. Just Smash regularly and fairly and you'll never be get banned.

Personally I think it's a coincidence because the game may hook you up with people of a similar Smash Power at the given time like rating battles on Pokémon. I have no way of confirming this but I've faced some really good people in Smash lately and when I first played I faced n00bs. Also it may depend on the mode you normally fight in as well. People may leave because of your internet connection regardless of experience too.

This is a very interesting glitch. I never had it happen to me, but it sounds pretty common. Also, love the name! "Smash Purgatory" fits it well.

everything this describes sounds like my game when I play in my room with its terrible connection lol

That is really weird. How in the world is this possible? Well, nintendo should release a patch for it soon. My internet is fantastic and it freezes so much, especially with the 3ds version. But man, that is quite a weird glitch, indeed. Funnily enough, I get disconnected a lot of times so hopefully, this glitch does not escalate.

So does this only happen if you get banned/reported? Or do you get punished after going to the server?

Hi everybody,

I am making this post just to warn you out of a glitch that seems to target many players lately. @Shelton_Xeno (+ Credit to him for the "Smash Purgatory" term I'll use here) can tell you more about it, since he has been the first (probably) to experience it on here, and from what he said, along with a few links in his threads, I decided to investigate the matter (I didn't played, but I did some quick research).

Apparently, this glitch is triggered by getting banned/reported many times. In case where you don't know, you can be reported/banned for those reasons:

-Attacking the same player
-Massive Taunting Parties (a few players admitted being pushed to "Smash Purgatory" after taunting too much)
-Offensive Miis (whether it be the name or the appearance)
-Toxic attitude (stalling, SD-ing on purpose)
-Being idle for too long
-Insults (using those bubbles that appear when taunting)
-DC-ing voluntarily

So, what does Smash Purgatory looks like ? Well, according to data I've gathered around the Internet, it presents the following symptoms:

-> Facing the same players again, again and again.
-> Opponents have a terrible connection, as if they were using their phone's connections to play.
-> Opponents will throw massive taunting parties, and will likely "teabag" the one who doesn't taunt (3v1).
-> Opponents are apparently "tougher" than what you could find in vanilla For Glory/For Fun. And essentially have a way more toxic behaviour than what you may find in a regular FG/FF battle.
-> Opponents generally have offensive names/appearances.
-> Finding opponents takes a long time (some people reported waiting up to 30 minutes !)

People also reported that the ban system gets pretty messy on that Smash Purgatory server, in the sense that, to quote somebody from SmashBoards: "you can go make yourself a sandwich, when you'll be back, you'll be able to resume the battle from where you left it" -> You're not disconnected for going idle, and apparently, targeting the same player isn't counted anymore as well.

So, how to get out of it ? Simple: Don't play For Glory/For Fun for a few days or weeks, or if you do, try to act as a exemplary player. Battles with Friends are still available, so, you may still challenge somebody from Pedia in the meanwhile.

The glitch seems to concern both the WiiU version and the 3DS version, and apparently, people who called Nintendo (Europe or America) reported that Nintendo told them they weren't banned, and they were told this is a glitch.

That's all I've found around the Internet. Considering the glitch affects both versions and the latest updates, I think I'll pin it, however, if @Marc, @Spinnerweb or @Mikaya do think it's not necessary, I leave them the right of unpinning it without even telling me (they're the admins, after all :D !)

In conclusion: Play safely, and you should be fine. If you still manage to get in Smash Purgatory accidentally, then, avoid playing For Glory or For Fun, or prepare yourself to face hell reincarnated in Smash form.

(Credits again to @Shelton_Xeno for posting the threads, causing me to investigate)
I think this has happened to me. Suddenly began found very offensive player names, along with insanely tough opponents, and the lag man, waited 20 minutes just to SD

this was actually pretty informative, i guess i´ll have to be extra careful when playing for glory then. though i never do it due to a lot of spammers and the like. i hope nobody has to go to smash purgatory after reading this, it sound awful to be surrounded by internet trolls in a videogame and not having fun in the process.

This sounds scary and awesome at the same time

Wow that sucks but have u guys noticed all the glitches happening to super smash bros. Also I need to stop targeting the same player then. The only reason I do it is because they suck and I can get lots of points in time. Hope you make it through it. Mani just really hate all the glitches coming to super smash bros.

You can be banned for being Idle?!

Back