Special edition games or games by themselves

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Sometimes you'll find special/limited editions of games with some extra stuff in the package. Things like a sketch/art book, soundtracks.. even figurines at times. The list may not stop there :playful:

Of course, the extra content come with a bump in the price tag.

I'm wondering how many of you prefer special/limited editions of games to games by themselves.

Do you find the additions from the special/limited edition games worth the extra cash you'd dish out for it?

Game alone is fine. I don't especially care for the extra fluff. As long as I get the game experience it's good.

Reactions: Furyofthestorm78
I think it really depends on the game. If it's a new game I have no past experience with, I'm not likely to shell out the extra cash for special content. However, if it were a game close to my heart like Pokemon, I'd definitely be interested in it. I ended up buying both Sun & Moon at once for the bonus poster, even though I was planning on buying Moon later. It seems silly now, because it's just a poster! But I go crazy for Pokemon stuff.

Special editions are cool. The exclusive stuff justifies the high price.

I stick with the normal title because I don't really care for extras - They just exist to attract more attention (not to mention - money) from people. Even if they look cool, the hype would die down a while after you obtain these so-called items. I'll get the full gaming experience anyways, so I have no need for extra gimmicks. xD

Reactions: Furyofthestorm78
Depends what it is, how much and what if any free gifts come with it. I would more likely go for a pre-order free gift that a shop offers than a special edition box.
It was tempting to go for the special edition Breath of the wild, but couldn't justify the extra cost when buying the console at the same time. One I had to go for was the Twilight Princess HD, simply because I wanted the wolf link amiibo, but I don't think it was much more expensive than getting just the game. I bought triforce heroes on release to get a free T-shirt. Have barely played it, should probably have waited and got the game cheaper, but it was a cool T-shirt.

Idk I kind of think special games are more expensive since you have to buy the game itself and it comes with some extra cool stuff I believe it's cool because it might include special figures that are collectible just like Pokémon Ultra Sun and Moon if your pre order it online and on time you can get a Rowlet,Litten, or Popplio figure and I think you can put it on your keys or something if you get one and the cool thing is that it's totally free ,but if you don't pre-order it and get it when you buy it at the store you get nothing and you just get the game which sucks I kind of think that the extra toy can be a rememberance of when you first bought the game I never collected a Pokémon figure only when one time I got a black kyurem that my cousins gave me ,but my friend stole it and it was exclusively for the Pokémon Black 2 and was worth a lot if I sold it ,but instead I kept it and it got stolen.

I'll always go for the extra content they add with a special release if possible, usually merchandise, even if I don't own many special editions myself. It's always nice to have a little something extra. Some of these little additions can be strange at times, I know one that came with a themed tarot set and another that came with a body pillow. The tarot set looked cool, not so sure about the body pillow.

I would've got the former if I knew it existed but I already own the game, so it doesn't make much sense to buy it again. Wonder if they sell the tarot set separately? What kind of demons could you even summon with a themed set like that?

It's just a way for them to make more money so no. If it doesn't get scalped and it's a very common special edition of a genre I like I might change my mind. It's like buying a physical game nowadays compared to digital. Imagine how bad it would be for someone to make a digital special edition man you are asking for so little in that regard why make the game at all at this point. If it's something you believe in that you really like it better have some swag.

Back