Super Mario Bros. Poll

• Thread starter Iso Kilo
  • Start date

Is it cheating to use Warp Zones in Super Mario Bros?

• Not really.

Votes: 13 92.9%
  • Yes.

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
Iso Kilo

Iso Kilo

Sonic 1 Hacker
Towns Folk
I was playing some original SMB on my NES, I used the route speedrunners usually take (Using the warp zone in 1-2 than using the warp zone in 4-2) My sister called me out on this saying it was cheating because it wasn't playing level by level. In my defense, I feel as though cheating requires an input of certain buttons or accessing unintentional areas. I also explained that in the original Super Mario Bros. There are no events in which items or levels can alter the gameplay in drastic ways, therefore using warp zones is completing the game. I would like to see your opinion, just to prove to my sister using the warp zone is completing the game without cheats. And besides, the only actual cheat in the game is to hold down A during the game over screen to start back on the world you died on.

Warp zones are like an Easter Egg that just helps you out a lot just like the warps in any other game like Donkey Kong Country. I don't think it would be considered cheating because you don't change anything in the game other than your position and you are still playing through the levels but it's like the conversation "is a hot dog a sandwich" because you're still skipping through a lot of the game so you could call it cheating.

no, cheats would be more code stuff and hacking. if nintendo put it in the game, and not as a handicap(silver donkey kong, golden tannoki suit, easy mode) or developer content, it is not cheating, more exploitin

I'm pretty sure either Nintendo or Myamoto (I'm not sure how to spell his name) said that Warp Zones aren't cheating as well, but rather a way to aid ones progression. Don't quote me on that, though. And now my sister is getting mad that her "opinion" isn't correct (She just wants to seem superior to me. Laughable!). I told her that Nintnedo themselves may have said that Warp Zones can be used to play the game to it's fullest. She replied with "I don't care what Nintendo thinks, Warp Zones are cheating." She didn't alloberate, but if she did it would probably be something like "I'm right, no matter what the problem is." I honestly believe she'll have a tough time in the real world...

Warp Zones are good tools for speedrunners and people who don't have much time. Remember; there was no saving in that game, and with there being 8 worlds it is bound to get tedious.

I think you should play whatever way is more fun for you. So if you think it seems like cheating don’t do it

There is many ways to play the original mario. Using the warp zones leads to a huge difficulty spike, but if you are really good at platformers you might be fine with that. You might really dislike one of the levels a warp zone skips, so you would gave a better time skipping that level. You might have allready beat the levels it skips and want to use the warp zone as a save point. If it was just for people to get through the game faster they wouldn’t let you choose 2,3,or 4 and just give you the fastest option. Using warp zones can also lead you to not having as many extra lives that you might need in the harder levels.

Not really cheating I think because it was put in the game on purpose. Some things like that were not put there on purpose and is cheating.

If you consider it cheating though, then just dont use them.

The way I see it, if it was intentionally put into the game by Nintendo, then it’s fair game. Anyone can use the Warp Zones, so in what way would it be considered cheating?

The way I see it, if it was intentionally put into the game by Nintendo, then it’s fair game. Anyone can use the Warp Zones, so in what way would it be considered cheating?
If it was a glitch, on the other hand, people would probably consider it cheating. This is not a glitch, but intentional, so therefore it is fair.

Not cheating but more of a copout. I never use the warp zones, I like experiencing the whole game.

Back