Super Mario Kart -- Aged Well?

• Thread starter zekiebouy
  • Start date
zekiebouy

zekiebouy

Ex(zach)ly
Towns Folk
With all these classic edition Nintendo consoles coming out, people have been flocking to play all the great titles off of the NES and SNES... Lets focus on a specific game on the latter: SUPER Mario Kart!

Lately SMK has gotten a lot of bad rap in regards to the quality of the graphics not aging well :thumbsdown:
Most predominately would be the depth perception and camera angles when driving.

Thoughts?

With all these classic edition Nintendo consoles coming out, people have been flocking to play all the great titles off of the NES and SNES... Lets focus on a specific game on the latter: SUPER Mario Kart!

Lately SMK has gotten a lot of bad rap in regards to the quality of the graphics not aging well :thumbsdown:
Most predominately would be the depth perception and camera angles when driving.

Thoughts?
hmm, its hard for me to really point out problems with the graphics of this game since i played a bunch in the past (and still do occasionally when theres time), and im also pretty used to the driving and camera as well so while i dont really understand what you mean by aging well, i can say its pretty good for snes graphics since the topic was a bit mediocre back then compared to now which is super amazing and attractive to me heh :p

as far as looking back at graphics some number years ago and now is, i think people in the present age so to speak would probably call the graphics trash or talk down about that, but when you arent around to see it its kinda hard to blame people for that tbh. while they are in fact 'bad' compared to now, the game was still plenty fun but the lack of drift efficiency made the special cup and even some courses in the star cup tougher than they couldve been otherwise, but since snes didnt have the capacity for this feature, i cant call it a surprise either. the game is still fun if youre in the mood to go back to older games, but one thing i loved about mario kart wii and all else that came after it was the option for an auto drift which was easy on my fingers since i have small hands and holding or drift spamming manually gets kinda painful for me a bit more quickly than id like. the alternative we had in this game though was being able to lightly tap the button to take curves more smoothly which is do-able, but a drift option is best for tricky turns that were in certain courses.

Reactions: zekiebouy
hmm, its hard for me to really point out problems with the graphics of this game since i played a bunch in the past (and still do occasionally when theres time), and im also pretty used to the driving and camera as well so while i dont really understand what you mean by aging well, i can say its pretty good for snes graphics since the topic was a bit mediocre back then compared to now which is super amazing and attractive to me heh :p

as far as looking back at graphics some number years ago and now is, i think people in the present age so to speak would probably call the graphics trash or talk down about that, but when you arent around to see it its kinda hard to blame people for that tbh. while they are in fact 'bad' compared to now, the game was still plenty fun but the lack of drift efficiency made the special cup and even some courses in the star cup tougher than they couldve been otherwise, but since snes didnt have the capacity for this feature, i cant call it a surprise either. the game is still fun if youre in the mood to go back to older games, but one thing i loved about mario kart wii and all else that came after it was the option for an auto drift which was easy on my fingers since i have small hands and holding or drift spamming manually gets kinda painful for me a bit more quickly than id like. the alternative we had in this game though was being able to lightly tap the button to take curves more smoothly which is do-able, but a drift option is best for tricky turns that were in certain courses.
Honestly I 100% agree. I actually quite enjoy the graphics, just read a few articles from which the author called the graphics exactly what you said, "trash." You definitely have to take into consideration the perspective from which the viewer is looking at the graphics though as well. For instance, someone who grew up with the SNES would consider those graphics exceptional, if not amazing. This is compared to others who grew up playing the N64, Gamecube, Wii etc.. versions, who would find the graphics "trash" and the depth perception a bit out of wack.

All about perspective/preference!!

Reactions: Kadaj
Ugh I think the graphics are ok. The scaling is kind of weird but works. Sprites look nice. Nut I don't like how the gameplay has aged. Eff those ice stages, you cannot steer and then you always hit those ice blocks. Maybe I'm just bad at it but it always seems like the cpus just go faster then you no matter what and the items are weird and unbalanced. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game and I'm glad it paved the way for mario kart games of today, but overall I would say it did not age well.

I personally think it has aged pretty badly but for it's time I'm sure it must have been amazing and fun. I brought it from the Eshop but I did not enjoy it as much as I wanted to though one time I played with the family, my dad really enjoyed it(he is a big fan of older games) My biggest problem with it is how different(weird) the controls felt and the depth perception though I sort of think the sprites are charming in their own way especially the japanese victory one(with Peach and Bowser)

Reactions: TerraKnight, Kadaj and zekiebouy
Ugh I think the graphics are ok. The scaling is kind of weird but works. Sprites look nice. Nut I don't like how the gameplay has aged. Eff those ice stages, you cannot steer and then you always hit those ice blocks. Maybe I'm just bad at it but it always seems like the cpus just go faster then you no matter what and the items are weird and unbalanced. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game and I'm glad it paved the way for mario kart games of today, but overall I would say it did not age well.
yeah i had that problem with the ice levels a while back, too many blocks and too easy to hit them, but if you get it just right its possible to slip through the small openings without touching any of them. concerning the items though they are very limited since this is the original, but what im going to note specifically is that the item boxes did not recycle, all of them were single use rather than respawning a few seconds later like we have now and have had for a while. i always thought that was a little awkward since respawning item boxes by itself wouldnt give anyone an unfair advantage, in fact it would make the gameplay more ideal for lack a better words. small but a bit notable detail, i suppose

Reactions: Duffy
Not really IMO. Maybe good for its time, but I definitely don't like the rotation and spritework. It also feels a bit clunky overall. Racers are better on a 3D world honestly.

Reactions: TerraKnight and zekiebouy
I got it on my Raspberry Pi since I can't get the N64 version. I played it a few times, and I will agree it didn't really age well. However, I'm sure that back in the day it was a blast and it was revolutionary. So far I've never seen anyone say that they're good at the original SNES Mario Kart, but I guess they need to keep with the times, huh?

Mario Kart is too slow for me, come talk to me if we're playing Crash Team Racing

I got it on my Raspberry Pi since I can't get the N64 version. I played it a few times, and I will agree it didn't really age well. However, I'm sure that back in the day it was a blast and it was revolutionary. So far I've never seen anyone say that they're good at the original SNES Mario Kart, but I guess they need to keep with the times, huh?

Mario Kart is too slow for me, come talk to me if we're playing Crash Team Racing
yeah i wasnt that great at the snes one either, once you got to 150 the CPUs almost always seemed to go faster than you could and this was even bad in the mushroom cup. but i was able to finish mario kart wii pretty easily and had a higher tendency to fortunate combacks when i would do 150+, same with mario kart 8 which was amazing in my opinion. while it is a good classic, its very lacking in overall capacity meaning poor drifting potential (this made 150 utter chaos as youd be forced to slow down whereas now we can just speed boost with manual drift without spinning out and having to restart acceleration, skill with this technique is crucial in more recent mario kart games if you wanna do well in grand prix). even now enemies can come out of nowhere, but its much more manageable than it was in super mario kart

I think playing Super Mario Kart is like playing Mario Kart 7 while only looking at the bottom screen and no Blue Shell and no drifting which is both good and bad. I'm sure if you practiced a lot you'd get better but I'd prefer the Blue Shell any day. All you need to do is stay close to second or get as far as the game would allow you if you went the shortest route (aka fastest on time trials) in later games and you're almost guaranteed to win. If there was no online play anymore and you only had one console Mario Kart game to choose from I'd pick Super Mario Kart or Double Dash (even though I'm not good at DD I like the Karts better).

Reactions: zekiebouy
I think playing Super Mario Kart is like playing Mario Kart 7 while only looking at the bottom screen and no Blue Shell and no drifting which is both good and bad. I'm sure if you practiced a lot you'd get better but I'd prefer the Blue Shell any day. All you need to do is stay close to second or get as far as the game would allow you if you went the shortest route (aka fastest on time trials) in later games and you're almost guaranteed to win. If there was no online play anymore and you only had one console Mario Kart game to choose from I'd pick Super Mario Kart or Double Dash (even though I'm not good at DD I like the Karts better).
tbh the blue shell just drove me nutts for a long while, it got old and tiring constantly getting hit by them and getting trolled on last lap (this was horrible in mario kart wii btw, at least sometimes this got out of control), that was just a mood killer in my opinion. im pretty used to it now, but i remember it getting annoying and tedious, especially by the time i reached 150cc and above i didnt like this at all. luckily im not as bothered by it anymore tho heh :p

Back