Switch confirmed to have no region lock!!

• Thread starter Eric Cartman
  • Start date
Eric Cartman

Eric Cartman

BEWARE OF ADS
Towns Folk
This is step up for Nintendo because the main problems with both the 3DS and Wii U is that they both had region lock which led people to homebrew their systems to play imported games. I also think it's good because it makes the systems less restrictive.

That's great that Switch finally decides to be region free, this makes importing some games much easier, even though it also coincides the fact that some of these imported games happened to be localized too (like Puyo Tetris, and possibly Taiko Drum Master/Taiko no Tatsujin if Bamco hinted it).

But still, there are some imported games that I'm not sure will be localized yet (let's say, I wanted to play Doraemon games), so I'll keep an eye of them just in case, and I'll be glad to be able to play these games without any issues now.

It's not totally region free. They said at the presentation that it was "Mostly" region free. Some games/accessories will be region locked, but it think it is going to be up to the developers whether or not they want their product to be region locked. It doesn't make sense to me why they would want it region locked, but it's definitely a huge step in the right direction.

It's not totally region free. They said at the presentation that it was "Mostly" region free. Some games/accessories will be region locked, but it think it is going to be up to the developers whether or not they want their product to be region locked. It doesn't make sense to me why they would want it region locked, but it's definitely a huge step in the right direction.
It probably means that digital downloads will still depend on what region you're on, I'd say.

This is great I remember when Smash 3DS came out early in Japan and I hated how like everyone was playing it but I couldn't since I don't have a Japanese 3DS

All I can say is finally. Region locking was ridiculous and nobody else did it.

Finally can play Japanese only games... :D

Take my money Nintendo. :)

pil92gradotx.png

Reactions: Blue Knight
I think this means a big change for nintendo and at the same time it is showing us, the fans, that they really want to do things better. The fact that nowadays you don´t need to worry about buying a game and waiting till you get home and see if it is the right región of your console, I mean, that you know it will work for sure on your new device. It is something reasuring at the moment of choosing nintendo.

Finally, at last they decided to ditch region-free games!!! I think Nintendo knew that many of it's fans hate this restriction. I don't know if it'll apply to digital downloads too, I hope it does because then we can use NA codes on an EU console and vice-versa. It might too good to be true, but we can at least order other region games online if they're not available in our current region (I wouldn't buy Japanese-only exclusives because I don't understand a word of it, though). xD

Even though eShop is still region-based, you can put many accounts assigned to multiple regions (so let's say I can put 2 accounts, each tied to US and Japan region), so after you buy the games, you can access the games no matter which game region you get, mostly. And apparently several Japanese games have the localization ready from the get-go, from what I heard on the internet.

Reactions: Mikaya
I think that this is a great idea, as I've never really seen the point for region-locking anything (except localization costs). Maybe I'll finally be able to play the Japanese exclusive Starfy games on something the than an emulator, but that still seems like a pretty unlikely event...:dead:

Back