The Machanics of SuperStar Saga

• Thread starter Chibi Asriel
  • Start date
Chibi Asriel

Chibi Asriel

Goat Herder
Towns Folk
So this is bit of a different posts, as Someone who LOVES to learn the in and outs of RPG, it should come to no suprise that I adore the mario and luigi series (especially considering the road sticker star has taken,but we dont talk about that) so starting with this post, is the beginning to somthing I'd love to start posting about "The Machanics of..." and with Superstar Saga+ Bowsers minions having recently been annouced (I Cannot WAIT to get my hands on the game!)
I figured, ey why not go over the machanics of the First game in the mario and luigi, and the one that started it all!

So To start with in the beginning of the game, you have one Ability, The Iconic jump, theres not much to talk about with the jump, you quite literally..Jump, however, jumping in battle has it's pros and cons, with correct timing you can do more Damage to an enemy as opposed to bad time leaving you doing little to no Damage, Mario attacks with and luigi attacks with B (it's a GBA game, theres only so many buttons)
just dont jump on an emeny with spikes unless you have the Proper move, or badge

Eventually you make it into the Games first main area: Stardust fields and here you introduced to somthing fun, Bro moves, These moves arn't only there for helping you explore, they can be used in Battle, Mario get's the spin jump and luigi gets the High Jump respectivly, in Battle These Bro moves are under the command block list of well, Bro Attacks, For mario his spin jump becomes Splash Bros and Luigi's High Jump become Bounce bros, these attacks as you would expect are more powerful moves that you can use in battle, at the Cost of you BP (Bros points) which you can increase on each level

Using you bro moves in battle enough times will allow you to learn The ADVANCE versions of the bro moves, Advance Splash bros will allow mario to Penitrate a Spike enemies spikes and do even more Damage while luigi's Bounce bro's advance command allows you to attack two enemys for less damage

As you procced in the game you get access to the Hammers and Bros Hand Abilities (Fire for mario and thunder for Luigi) For the hammers, good time will allow to hit spiky enemies while also giving you the chance to DAZE your enemies, The Bros hand attacks are different, their elemental, meaning you will either do Healing to an ememy, Nutural to an ememy of Crtical hits to an enemy, of cource this is all experementation (red hit with thunder, not Fire, Blue hit with fire not Thunder)

and with these abilities come new bros moves: Luigi's Knockback bros and Thunder(Somthing I forget) bros are arguable the best bros attacks for luigi, Getting the adavance knockback bros will allow to you to litterally ping pong mario back and forth between luigi's hammer and the enemy, this move is a literal boss killer, while his thunder bro move normal ability is lowering the enemies defence, the advance version lowers there attack

This is the general jist of the abilities and bro attacks but you want them to do more damage or be more avaliable, this is where the level up system comes into play, your level maxes out at level 99 but of cource you start at level 1, one each level up you get bonus points to your stats (HP,BP,Power,Defence, Speed) but not Stache, your Stache stat is your Crtical hit chance, you have to manually level this up, on each level up your able to give one stat an extra boost from a roullette of numbers ranging from 1-5 the more often you level up a state, the more often 1's will appear so it's nice to spread out your level bonus

theres so much more I could go into but this post is getting fairly long and theres always more to learn about a game that if Went on anymore, there'd be no point in you playing the game (and what fun would that be!)

The most important mechanic in this game is the fact that it is skill based. All attacks have a certain timing to them, and the bro attacks require several correct timing and button presses for massive damage. This is important because is makes every fight engaging and you can never just say “im just gonna press the attack button until they die” unless they are very low level compared to you, but you are rewarded when you time attacks well so there is no good reason not to. Defending yourself is also more intresting than just blocking at the right time. Instead you either get to jump or hammer to defend, and sometimes you can do extra damage by defending at the right time. This is an engaging challenge because you must control both mario bros, so messing up on timing or jumping with the wrong bro can hurt alot.

Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga is a really great game. I remember playing it when I was young on my gameboy. The best part about the game was that the battles were not luck based, but instead skill based. You had to jump at the right time to dodge, attack at the right time, and use the best moves for the enemy. I loved the game. A lot. I have lots of memories in the game.

i liked superstar saga because it added a new type of gameplay to the mario series which, we had the regular jump and hammer but you also had the bro moves which were a new type of gameplay element that i really liked

Back