Tips for improving battery life on smartphone or tablet?

• Thread starter frog
  • Start date
frog

frog

Pokemon Master
Towns Folk
I notice sometimes my battery life is not very good. What are some tips on making my battery life longer?

Put on airplane mode and set the brightness to low.

Thanks for the help. I give Airplane mode a try.

If you want to really extend your battery life, I would download Greenify if you're on Android. What it does is it automatically hibernates apps that typically do a lot of syncing data and drain the battery quickly when you turn off the screen, so your battery life ends up being extended every time your screen is turned off. If you're using iOS, then I don't know what you could do to optimize it other than using airplane mode like saltypepper suggested.

When it comes to mobile battery life, as a programmer I want to scream because companies keep making phones that run more circuitry for more complex functions, but never stop to think about how much battery life it drains to do so. That aside, the best things you can do have already been said. For every platform there is a battery saver app, I'm fairly certain anyway, and if your phone has airplane mode/battery saving mode it would probably help to do activate it as well as dimming the screen. The only tip I have to add is always keep your storage space tidy of things you don't use for they still drain battery even when inactive, in many occasions. Hope that helps!

Would rooting or jailbreaking a mobile device improve its battery life. I read online that there are apps I can use to slowdown the CPU and video chip's clock speed to save power, and also uninstall bundled programs which are not possible to remove without root or jailbreak.

Well, yes that could do, but be cautious. If you download a CPU slowing app it could harm many of your phones other apps, so be cautious. Jailbreaking may help I'm not entirely sure, haven't tried it and don't plan on it. Sounds too risky. I don't know for sure on rooting either. So, I can't really help you there.

Would rooting or jailbreaking a mobile device improve its battery life. I read online that there are apps I can use to slowdown the CPU and video chip's clock speed to save power, and also uninstall bundled programs which are not possible to remove without root or jailbreak.
If on Android, you can use PowerNap after rooting your device. Drastically improves your phone's battery life.

Setting brightness to low reduces battery - Confirmed! Experiment with iPhone 4 proven battery life increases with low brightness: iPhone 4 should last about 6.5 hours of continuous use on the lowest brightness setting and about 3.5 hours on the highest brightness setting. That's a pretty big difference. It seems putting the brightness at about half would give a fairly reasonable time of around 5 hours. Remember though, this is with wifi and 3G off. So, really your phone wouldn't even last that long. I think it is safe to say that you will still get more battery time from your phone at half brightness than at full.
Source: http://lifehacker.com/5994135/how-m...s-actually-makes-a-difference-in-battery-life

Setting your phone to airpaline mode will help you save battery life also not downloading a lot of games for the IOS or Android device will help you save up your phones life I really don't have games for my IPhone 5 and my phones battery life never gets drained fast also putting the phone in low light can also save some battery life I found out this little trick because when my cousin came over to stay at my house for a week he told me because I didnt know much things about my iPhone 5 since I spend most of my time playing video games and etc.

Back