Top 5 Pokemon Games.

• Thread starter Aura Knight
  • Start date
Aura Knight

Aura Knight

Spirit of the West
Towns Folk
Hello!

I've decided that maybe I should make another top 5 list. What better subject than Pokemon games? I remember my first Pokemon game was Pokemon HeartGold. Because of that, I met new people and got to have a reason to seek people who also like Pokemon. It's one of the few games where it encourages you to go and meet new people. This idea started from the first games. Red and Blue had version exclusives because you were encouraged to go out and find new people who had the same or different version you have.

Thus, we begin our list. This may include some Spin-Off games, so it isn't completely in the main series.

Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon
images

I had never really been interested in the Mystery Dungeon series until this game. It looked like so much fun in the trailers when they first came out, but I hadn't played any of the previous games before this, so I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I got it anyway, and it was cool. This was definitely a good addition to the series. The story was unique, and the way it deviated from traditional Mystery Dungeon mechanics made it a good game. Plus, because of Miiverse, you can almost always count on somebody helping you out. It's just so cool!

Now I wonder how we'll still save each other from dungeons...

One of my favorite things about this game is how many loopholes there are. In battling, when you befriend Chandelure you've pretty much beaten the game due to how amazing this guy is in legendary battles. Just teach him Memento, and spam it on legendary battles until they only deal 1 HP in damage, and then wail on them (eat it, Mewtwo!!!).

Plus, once you battle Cobalion and get the Water Looplet, raising stats is easy, too. Just line everyone up in a line, have someone equip the Water Looplet, face the rest of the team, and chuck any stat-boosting item. Watch those stats soar.

Pokemon Platinum

pokemon-platinum-150076.10.jpg

This was my second Pokemon game. I remember beating HeartGold after playing for a year, and I found out that there was more that I could play on my DS. Me and my family were in the process of moving from California, and because I helped my mom with the garage sell she took me to Gamestop and told me to pick what I'd like. I picked this game, and my mom got me a used version of it. I took it home, deleted the last save file and started my own game. Boy, that was fantastic. I really enjoyed the music and the story, along with the abundance of mini games that were present. Giratina was pretty scary (no really, the time I saw it capture Cyrus actually made me jump), and I got to enjoy an extra game with my friends.

Pokemon Black 2 & White 2
BW2_5712.png

I enjoyed these games. Firstly, because I had played the originals, these made a lot of sense, and it was awesome with the minigames. Firstly, I got Pokemon White 2 by pre-ordering them at a Toys R Us store. When I went in at release date to pick it up, the nice lady gave me not only the game but a sweet marble coin, too! On one side it read Pokemon White 2, and on the other side it had a nice picture of White Kyurem on it.

Remember how I said I was moving from California? Well, I met a friend over at my new house and he had a DSI, which means I would invite him over to my house and we would totally abuse the Xtranciever, making funny faces and drawing all around.

My favorite feature had to be making those Pokemon movies. If you ask anyone that knows me, they'll tell you I am a huge movie buff, so you can probably tell what I spent most of my time doing post-game. It was a lot of fun making scripts and watching how the scenarios unfold. Oh, that was good.

Pokemon X and Y
images

I know people don't like Generation 6 because of the new Pokemon, but dang was this game good, though it's more of an existential reason rather than the technical reasons I've used for the other games. Firstly, you have to remember that at the time, this game was groundbreaking. For the first time, Pokemon games were now in full 3D. Plus, this was one of the few games that were not spoiled for me. All of it was a real surprise for me. Super Training was actually kind of fun, and with more accessibility to the internet, I got to do a lot of minigames (PR movies were amazing; I actually enjoyed that). In fact, I think I enjoyed it. Plus, you can actually dress up your trainer, which meant I could do what I wanted to have some form of representation of myself. The cutscenes were actually stunning, and the music was just awesome!

Now, for the existential reasons, these games came out in October 11th. I picked my copy of Pokemon Y from Gamestop on the same day. Later that day I went to a firefighter open house with hotdogs and lots of fun activities. Later that same day I went to a Light the Night activity where we all held balloons of different colors to represent our relationship with cancer while walking through the night. About a week after that, my grandma passed away. All while being 12 years old. My goodness, looking back I can't believe how much these games were in those times. Even though I consider it to be the 'experiment' of 3D Pokemon games, it is still near and dear to my heart. I know it sounds cheeky, but I think I enjoyed that year. Even after losing my friends because I had to move again, I couldn't believe how much support and care I got from people that were playing the game when I told them all the stuff that happened. Oftentimes I would stay up late talking with the people I met and battled with. Boy, that was fun.

Pokemon Black and White
Pokemon-BlackWhite.png

These were amazing games. Before X and Y, these games were as 3D as Pokemon games could get. I actually got Pokemon White because my new friend-the one with the DSI I was talking about earlier-had Pokemon Black, and I wanted to do him a favor and get Pokemon White. Anyway, I got it and I started playing. I loved the new Pokemon, and the new team was very peculiar.

What really made it stand out was how different the game was. In previous Pokemon games, the main story was to beat the team, collect the badges and the box art Pokemon, and beat the champion. This was the first-and as of the day this thread is posted, only-Pokemon game to break that rule. This was the first game where

a) Your goal starts with becoming the champion, but due to N's plans it changes to just stopping him and team Plasma
b) The legendary boxart monster was required to catch in order to progress the game.
c) Legendaries had the most involvement with this game, as you fight whatever legendary not featured on your boxart as the pseudo-final boss.
d) Beating the champion is entirely optional and a post-game choice
e) The games have a direct sequel.

That's it, I'm done.

Reactions: Dark Link
Back