Mario Maker Troll levels: Do you find them annoying or funny?

• Thread starter Kadaj
  • Start date
Kadaj

Kadaj

The Masochistic Hardcore Player XP
Towns Folk
Ok we've all seen them who knows how many times: troll levels. Some of them are insane mazes with several false paths that often cost you a life and start over, some are just chockfull of cosmetic MP3s (some of which are everywhere depending on the level) that may annoy some people while others like my sort are more likely to laugh at this, and then you have other stages where you get boxed in by walls and too many hidden blocks if you go the wrong way where youd be forced to start over. From me personally, these kinds of levels are easy to find in super expert 100 mario challenge.

Some people do these levels just for laughs, others run into them by accident and get tired but try to beat it anyways, rage quitters aside here (theyre everywhere, even in pokemon from what i hear). So back to the question here, do you think troll levels are annoying or funny? I personally am one to make a goof out of things like this instead of getting frustrated, sometimes i do them just for laughs and so forth. In simpler terms, i think theyre kinda funny.

So how do you feel about these levels? Do you think theyre funny to do sometimes, or are they becoming so old its just a nuisance now?

Reactions: Dark Link and 18
To me, they've always been a nuisance. It was kinda fun to watch Markiplier play them, but doing so myself doesn't sound fun.

I think the levels should be designed with a Nintendo-esque mindset; that it's a challenge, yes, but also at least somewhat fair to the player. There was one Nintendo level in New Super Mario Bros. (for the DS) that boxed you in with ? blocks, but there was also a pipe there for you to go down. That way, when it led you back to before the ? pit, you knew to avoid it (unless you forgot again >w< ...or slipped). Also, I feel it's worth mentioning that they only used this mechanic/tactic once throughout the entire game.

In my experience with level-designing in Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini Land Mayhem, it's difficult to have the kind of mindset Nintendo has. You just get this feeling of wanting to totally screw the player over so you can laugh at them (unless this is just me? ;w; I'm not a cruel person, honest...) .

Also, most of the high-rated courses in that game just had a lot of coins in them. That's it. No real creativity or innovative stuff; just coin-spam. >.> I don't know why the vast majority of players do this (creating such levels as well as playing them).

*sigh*
if only Nintendo nirvana were nearby... ;w;

Reactions: Kadaj
Well for most levels that are definitely 100% troll, I try and get a laugh out of it and brush it off and beat the level calmly. Because of this, Super Mario maker expert mode and other modes are extremely easy for me and I'm able to beat 1 level every 2 minutes or less. Also, the good thing about me being calm most of the time is that I can win a bet if my friends try to challenge me to a speed run on a troll level.

But when it comes to just regular troll levels that are extremely hard unless you magically know where everything is and you have a magic guide that shows you the whole level layout and where you should jump and what pixel should I move on. Anyways, those levels are what keeps me up at night and those levels just make me wanna shove bleach down my Wii u and throw it out a window (probably too intense but whatever).

Last edited by a moderator:
To me, they've always been a nuisance. It was kinda fun to watch Markiplier play them, but doing so myself doesn't sound fun.

I think the levels should be designed with a Nintendo-esque mindset; that it's a challenge, yes, but also at least somewhat fair to the player. There was one Nintendo level in New Super Mario Bros. (for the DS) that boxed you in with ? blocks, but there was also a pipe there for you to go down. That way, when it led you back to before the ? pit, you knew to avoid it (unless you forgot again >w< ...or slipped). Also, I feel it's worth mentioning that they only used this mechanic/tactic once throughout the entire game.

In my experience with level-designing in Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini Land Mayhem, it's difficult to have the kind of mindset Nintendo has. You just get this feeling of wanting to totally screw the player over so you can laugh at them (unless this is just me? ;w; I'm not a cruel person, honest...) .

Also, most of the high-rated courses in that game just had a lot of coins in them. That's it. No real creativity or innovative stuff; just coin-spam. >.> I don't know why the vast majority of players do this (creating such levels as well as playing them).

*sigh*
if only Nintendo nirvana were nearby... ;w;

Yeah, i can understand that "trial and error" thing so to speak being annoying, since a lot of them have false paths that either kill you immediately or are insanely difficult to the point where very few people can actually do it (kaizo levels) which inevitably forces you to restart completely. I also find them entertaining to watch (as much people here who know me probably see lol), and i occasionally do them just for laughs but im not someone who is going to spend hours on the same level like that, i wouldn't get mad just tired and bored of the same thing and well.... kinda out of it so to speak, if i get tired of something i tend to lose interest so yeah kek :p

On a different note, im pretty sure these kinds of levels are what make expert and most notably super expert near impossible to finish without skips, that trial and error approach (troll style of course lol) is a pure life eater and of course the kaizo levels also are, making a successful run extremely difficult (some may even say impossible i wont lie here).

Well, kind of both. If its extreme trolliness (enemy spam, guess a door, thwomps where you can't see them), then I hate them. Gentle trolliness is okay as long as it doesn't go too wild. Heck, even Nintendo used some trolliness in the Mario Maker official courses! So yeah, as long as its subtle trolliness, I'm cool with it.

Well, kind of both. If its extreme trolliness (enemy spam, guess a door, thwomps where you can't see them), then I hate them. Gentle trolliness is okay as long as it doesn't go too wild. Heck, even Nintendo used some trolliness in the Mario Maker official courses! So yeah, as long as its subtle trolliness, I'm cool with it.
agreed. tbh id rather get a troll level on super expert difficulty than a kaizo stage that i know i wont be able to beat. kaizo is way too ridiculous for me to do so if i know im on a kaizo stage id have to skip that since i cant do kaizo. but when you get one of those ugly ultra trolls flooded with enemies, guessing games and softlocks (especially ones where we cant kill ourselves to retry that are past a checkpoint, this is one of the worst kinds of trolls in my opinion especially when the creator puts a 400 second timer as it can easily feel long and tedious). but crazy kaizo levels and then the hardcore troll levels we've all seen before at some point are the reasons why i havent been able to beat super expert. you can still find troll levels on expert but they are more likely to be subtle and less daunting than super expert trolls which is the better thing here

Back