[Tutorial] How to get 4IVs+ Ditto in Sun and Moon (And Shiny Ditto)

• Thread starter Zukrad
  • Start date
Zukrad

Zukrad

Just spam F-Air in the neutral and hope it works.
Towns Folk
giphy.gif

How to catch a good IV'd Ditto

So, Sun and Moon has been out for... like 2 weeks? And of course, everyone wants good IV'd Pokémon

We now have Bottle Caps, but having a good IVd Ditto is always nice to avoid spending that many Bottle Caps

So, what will you need?
(Keep in mind that a few of these Pokémon will not be avaliable until Pokébank is released)

Non Automatic method:

dhelmise.gif
A Pokémon with Recycle
buzzwole.gif
A Pokémon with False Swipe or Hold Back
exeggutor-alola.gif
A Pokémon with Trick or Switcheroo
images
At least one Leppa Berry
adrenalineorb.png
At least one Adrenaline Orb

An Item that "wastes turns" (Using an Antidote against a non-poisoned mon works)

Now, once you have everything, what do you have to do:

Pre battle: Give the Leppa Berry to the Pokémon with Trick and put the Pokémon with Recycle in the lead of your party (Turning off the animations helps too)

Once you find Ditto:

1.- Waste the first turn and let Ditto transform into the Recycle Pokémon
2.- Switch into your Trick user and trick the leppa berry
3.- Switch into your False Swiper and drop Ditto's HP to 1
(If a ditto appears and transforms into your False Swiper, kill it)
4.- Just keep killing Dittos until you have chained about 30, while the first Ditto nevers wastes PP thanks to Recycle/Harvest

Once you think that is enough chained Ditto, or once you find a shiny one, you can kill the recycling Ditto, and catch

Semi-Automatic Method:

drifloon.gif
A Ghost Type Pokémon with the move Recycle (Post bank only)
or
phantump.gif
A Phantump with the move Sunny Day and its HA
gastly.gif
A Ghost Type Pokémon with the move Self Destruct or Explosion
decidueye.gif
A Pokémon with False Swipe or Hold Back and Foresight or Odor Sleuth
starmie.gif
A Pokémon with the move Trick or Switcheroo

images
At least one Leppa Berry
poliwrath.gif
A Pokémon with the ability Damp

adrenalineorb.png
At least one Adrenaline Orb

An Item that "wastes turns" (Using an Antidote with a non-poisoned mon works)

Important stuff (PB=You need to wait until Pokébank to get it):

http://imgur.com/a/taFqu

Melemele Island, Melemele Sea (requires Sharpedo Jet)

drifloon.png
(PB): TM (IV Gen), Tutor (V and VI gen)
drifblim.png
arceus.png
hoopa.png
(PB): Tutor (VI gen)

gastly.png
: TM, Egg Move, Tutor (III Gen)
haunter.png
gengar.png
drifloon.png
: Level Up, TM
drifblim.png
: Level Up, TM
pumpkaboo.png
(PB): TM
gourgeist.png
(PB): TM
773.png
: TM

farfetchd.png
(PB): Level Up, TM / Breeding
munchlax.png
: Event / Level Up
snorlax.png
: Event / Prior Evolution
sneasel.png
: TM / Breeding
weavile.png
: TM / Breeding
smeargle.png
: Sketch / Sketch
emboar.png
(PB): Event / Level Up
722.png
: TM / Level Up
723.png
724.png

Now, once you have everything, what do you have to do:

Pre battle: Give the Leppa Berry to the Pokémon with Trick and put the Pokémon with Recycle/Phantump in the lead of your party (Turning off the animations helps too)

Once you find Ditto:

1.- Waste the first turn and let Ditto transform into the Recycle Pokémon/Phantump
2.- Switch into your Trick user and trick the leppa berry
3.- Switch into your False Swiper and drop Ditto's HP to 1
(If a ditto appears and transforms into your False Swiper, kill it)
4.- Bring your Explosive Ghost when there is not a second Ditto, or when the second Ditto is not transformed yet
5.- Start wasting turns while the summoned Dittos transform into your Ghost Pokémon and explode, damaging no one, while the first Ditto nevers wastes PP thanks to Recycle/Harvest

Once you think that is enough chained Ditto, or once you find a shiny one, you can switch out, kill the recycling Ditto, and catch

But there is a problem...
You see, chained Pokémon not only get more IVs, they also can get hidden abilities.
Meaning that, if a shiny ditto with HA appears, it will transform inmediatly into your exploding Pokémon, and using explosion before you can even kill the original Ditto and try to catch it.

Don't worry tho, there is something you can do!! If there is a Pokémon in the field with Damp, no one can use Explosion.

So, in the case that the Ditto you want to catch has already transformed into the Exploding Pokémon, you can still catch it by switching into your Damp Pokémon.

And that's the full tutorial. Rigth now, we don't know the chances of getting a shiny Pokémon or a high IV'd Pokémon by chaining.

Between the 30th-255th chained Pokémon, the 4IVs are guaranteed.
Perfect IVs

• Chain length 0 to 4: No guaranteed perfect IVs
    • Chain length of 5 to 9: 1 guaranteed perfect IV
    • Chain length of 10 to 19: 2 guaranteed perfect IVs
    • Chain length of 20 to 29: 3 guaranteed perfect IVs
    • Chain length of 30 to 255*: 4 guaranteed perfect IVs

*The game uses an 8-bit counter to count chain length, so it only goes up to a maximum of 0xFF (255), after which it rolls over to 0 again. What this means is that it is possible to chain up to 280, for example, and only catch a Pokemon with 3 perfect IVs.

So, with a chain of 30 Dittos:

The chances of getting a Ditto with at least 4IVs is 100%
The chances of getting a Ditto with at least 5IVs is 3.125% (1/32)
The chances of getting a 6IVs Ditto is %0.09765625 (1/1024)

To put in perspective, the chances of getting a 6IVs Ditto are the same chances as getting a shiny in the Safari Zone in XY

CxlLe3NVEAA3L0K.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3823, Bobcam7!, Marc and 2 others
Btw, I will be selling the "Ditto catching kit" in my "Battle Factory" shop... or if you are too lazy for that... I will be selling IV'd Dittos too... and if you are too lazy to breed as well, I will be selling battle ready Pokémon there too... unless you are too lazy to even build the team, in that case, I will be auctioning teams too

Last edited:
Reactions: 3905
Quick question.
Is it possible to affect the ditto nature thru Synchronize for all the dittos that are summoned or is it only the first ditto that you encounter that gets the nature synchronized?

Reactions: 3823
Quick question.
Is it possible to affect the ditto nature thru Synchronize for all the dittos that are summoned or is it only the first ditto that you encounter that gets the nature synchronized?

I... have absolutely no idea

I guess the summoned Dittos are either completely unafected, or affected if the Synchronize Pokémon is still in the lead spot, but if I had to guess, I would say the former

edit: Yay!! post #500

Dhelmise (Grass/Ghost Anchor Poke) gets Switcheroo (Same thing a trick) at level one.

Reactions: Zukrad
Dhelmise (Grass/Ghost Anchor Poke) gets Switcheroo (Same thing a trick) at level one.
Yeah, I forgot to put Switcheroo's link

Also, to do this pre-bank, you could grab a Phantump with Trick or Treat to keep the Recycle Ditto from killing itself. This would also eliminate the need for Foresight.

Also, to do this pre-bank, you could grab a Phantump with Trick or Treat to keep the Recycle Ditto from killing itself. This would also eliminate the need for Foresight.
Phantump doesn't get Trick-or-Treat, Phantum gets Forest's Curse

Pumpkaboo is the one that gets Trick-or-Treat, and Pumpkaboo is a post-bank only, and it wouldn't eliminiate the need of Foresight

Last edited:
Update:

So, the mention of Phantump reminded me that this Pokémon is a Ghost Type with the HA Harvest.

So, if you get a Phantum with only sunny day, it will have the same effect as a Ghost Type Recycle!!

I will be adding it to the OP

I think Synchronize does affect SOS'd Ditto, when I caught my first 4IV Ditto I had a Jolly Kadabra in the front of my party and the Ditto I ended catching was indeed Jolly. Of course, this needs further testing, the second Ditto I caught didn't get Synchronized. I assumed I got unlucky because it's a 50% chance. I didn't catch more because the 2 I got already cover all 6 IVs and I can get natures through Synchronize or chain breeding. I'll try out again with 5 or 6 more and report back with results.

Reactions: 3823 and Zukrad
I think Synchronize does affect SOS'd Ditto, when I caught my first 4IV Ditto I had a Jolly Kadabra in the front of my party and the Ditto I ended catching was indeed Jolly. Of course, this needs further testing, the second Ditto I caught didn't get Synchronized. I assumed I got unlucky because it's a 50% chance. I didn't catch more because the 2 I got already cover all 6 IVs and I can get natures through Synchronize or chain breeding. I'll try out again with 5 or 6 more and report back with results.

Synchronize works with summoned Ditto, as long as the Pokémon in the active spot has Synchronize

So, if you have, lets say, a Riolu with Adamant nature in the lead spot of the party, and a Sycnhronize Alakazam killing the Ditto, the Ditto that are being summoned will have a 50% chance of being Adamant

More info HERE

I'm battling a Hakamo-O right now, it keeps calling for help, but no one's coming. This is a general question about chaining... If you kill off the base Poke, when a different summoned mon calls for help, is it impossible for it to S. O. S. a new mon? For instance, can this Hakamo-O summoned by a defeated Jangmo-O, also call a new mon to aide in battle, or is this impossible because it's not the base mon from this location?

Edit: I kept this battle going for some time to see, but help never came.​

So there is another method... which I forgot to put here... but unlike this one, is not semi automatic

Updating the OP anyways

I'm battling a Hakamo-O right now, it keeps calling for help, but no one's coming. This is a general question about chaining... If you kill off the base Poke, when a different summoned mon calls for help, is it impossible for it to S. O. S. a new mon? For instance, can this Hakamo-O summoned by a defeated Jangmo-O, also call a new mon to aide in battle, or is this impossible because it's not the base mon from this location?

Edit: I kept this battle going for some time to see, but help never came.​
You can kill the base Pokémon and keep the chain, as long as the Pokémon that is still on battle is from the same family group as the original

So, for example, Pichu can call Pichu, Pikachu, and Happiny; but you can only find wild Pichu in the grass

1.- If you kill the original Pichu, but the other Pokémon in battle is another Pichu, the chain continues, and the wild Pichu can keep calling partners
2.- If you kill the original Pichu, but the other Pokémon in battle is a Pikachu, the chain continues, and the wild Pikachu can keep calling partners
3.- If you kill the original Pichu, but the other Pokémon in battle is aHappiny , the chain breaks, and the wild Happiny can't keep calling partners

So, in your case, you just got really bad luck

Reactions: Mr. Kream
So there is another method... which I forgot to put here... but unlike this one, is not semi automatic

Updating the OP anyways

You can kill the base Pokémon and keep the chain, as long as the Pokémon that is still on battle is from the same family group as the original

So, for example, Pichu can call Pichu, Pikachu, and Happiny; but you can only find wild Pichu in the grass

1.- If you kill the original Pichu, but the other Pokémon in battle is another Pichu, the chain continues, and the wild Pichu can keep calling partners
2.- If you kill the original Pichu, but the other Pokémon in battle is a Pikachu, the chain continues, and the wild Pikachu can keep calling partners
3.- If you kill the original Pichu, but the other Pokémon in battle is aHappiny , the chain breaks, and the wild Happiny can't keep calling partners

So, in your case, you just got really bad luck
Lol, unusually humorous conclusion, but I guess having bad luck isn't unusual in my case, thank you.

Back