What do you think of the Wii U now?

• Thread starter P2.0
  • Start date
P2.0

P2.0

BlueJ was here.
Towns Folk
Hi everybody, P2.0 here, coming atcha with another topic-thingy... thing. :p This time, it's about the Wii U. \o/

November 18 2012, The Wii U came to the U.S, and tbh, I was pretty excited, despite not having the money to get it. :p Especially since Splatoon came a few years a later for it. Still my favorite, btw. :D
Anyway, like most consoles, it has its little bugs and imperfections ( Like freezing when you're playing a game... ;-; ) but it was still pretty good, had some nifty features to it. \o/

But to cut right to the chase, now that Switch is out, I'm wondering: Do people still look at their Wii Us ( If they haven't sold it ), and wonder if there was anything that made it more unique than their new console?
Of course, I can't make a comparison because I don't own one, and probably won't until MUCH later. ( R.I.P Splatoon 2. :'D )
But, for those who have a pretty good idea ( nothing pompous ), or even have one of their own, what do you think of the Wii U now? Tell me what you think below! ^-^

Reactions: Mikaya
I think the Wii U was alright in the end. The Wii U really does seem like it was the beta test version of the Switch. There was a lot of problems with the system such as confusion with the name, long droughts, lack of 3rd party etc. I also was pretty let down when I discovered that you couldn't take the gamepad anywhere you wanted. I could barely take it to other rooms in my house. With that said I was really impressed by Nintendo's first party output for the system. It has some of my favorite Nintendo games of all time on it. I may have gotten less games for the Wii U , but I enjoyed most of them much more their Wii output.

Although the Switch's game library ( rumored library that is) will take away some of my love for the Wii U since we will get enhanced ports or sequels to past games ( like Splatoon) , I don't regret getting the Wii U and enjoyed my time with it. I'm not sad that we have to move on so quickly, I truly believe the Switch vision is the way to go. The Switch is something I wanted for a very long time. Combing both handheld and console games into one and the true ability to play at home or on the go instantly . The Switch still has some obstacles to overcome, but I have a better sense of hope for it than I did for the Wii U.

Reactions: P2.0 and Mikaya
I think the Wii U was alright in the end. The Wii U really does seem like it was the beta test version of the Switch. There was a lot of problems with the system such as confusion with the name, long droughts, lack of 3rd party etc. I also was pretty let down when I discovered that you couldn't take the gamepad anywhere you wanted. I could barely take it to other rooms in my house. With that said I was really impressed by Nintendo's first party output for the system. It has some of my favorite Nintendo games of all time on it. I may have gotten less games for the Wii U , but I enjoyed most of them much more their Wii output.

Although the Switch's game library ( rumored library that is) will take away some of my love for the Wii U since we will get enhanced ports or sequels to past games ( like Splatoon) , I don't regret getting the Wii U and enjoyed my time with it. I'm not sad that we have to move on so quickly, I truly believe the Switch vision is the way to go. The Switch is something I wanted for a very long time. Combing both handheld and console games into one and the true ability to play at home or on the go instantly . The Switch still has some obstacles to overcome, but I have a better sense of hope for it than I did for the Wii U.
This is probably one of the most well put answers I've seen in a while. :eek: I wish I could make a comparison of the two myself, but I'm not too big explaining things, lol.
I also kinda thought we'd be able to take the Gamepad out of our rooms as well. Imagine my surprise when it disconnected. :hilarious:
And it's true, we didn't get many games on Wii U, either. But for the ones we did get, I'm glad we got a chance to experience them. :3

Until we get more news on the Switch, I'll probably be able to give a better evaluation. Right now, people are talking about how some functions don't work, or screw up the system, like, if you put the Joycons in the wrong slots, they lock up, and you can't take them out unless you get a special tool. :p

But still, I'm kinda curious to see how it works out. o/

Reactions: Mikaya
I got my Wii U last year and didn't enjoy it at all until it had to disappear for a while (don't ask). It came back last month (on March 25th) and I already feel like I didn't waste my money on it. I'm only playing Smash 4, Splatoon and Melee on it, but that's already three more games than on XB1 and Switch united, and at least two more games than the PS4 (the only game I may be interested in on PS4 being Horizon). And there might be other games I'll play on it later!

It may have failed on a marketing standpoint and rely on a concept that makes no sense, but it still has games I like and that's all that matters for a console.

Reactions: P2.0
I got my Wii U last year and didn't enjoy it at all until it had to disappear for a while (don't ask). It came back last month (on March 25th) and I already feel like I didn't waste my money on it. I'm only playing Smash 4, Splatoon and Melee on it, but that's already three more games than on XB1 and Switch united, and at least two more games than the PS4 (the only game I may be interested in on PS4 being Horizon). And there might be other games I'll play on it later!

It may have failed on a marketing standpoint and rely on a concept that makes no sense, but it still has games I like and that's all that matters for a console.
True that, I totally agree! Although, I kinda don't get how it was failing in marketing to this day, I thought it was pretty good, tbh. D: But I do like the games that were presented with it, Like Splatoon and Smash Bros. ( Ahh, Splatoon~ :love: )

But like you said, in the end, it still had enjoyable games that people loved playing, and that's all that matters. :3 Very nice way to put it! :D

Reactions: Hayleia
I've had certain problems with the Wii U later on. The selection of games were already available in consoles before it, so I didn't have any one to play said games with. Only a few console exclusives were worth playing, and others were just plain wonky... But had I not gotten one, I wouldn't have met so many people on Miiverse. Though I have problems with it now, I don't regret a second I've spent with it.

I've had certain problems with the Wii U later on. The selection of games were already available in consoles before it, so I didn't have any one to play said games with. Only a few console exclusives were worth playing, and others were just plain wonky... But had I not gotten one, I wouldn't have met so many people on Miiverse. Though I have problems with it now, I don't regret a second I've spent with it.
True, I mean heck, sometimes my game freezes, or acts up sometimes as well. Consoles do that. And yeah, despite that, there are a good many games on Wii U that makes it worth getting ( If I say my favorite Wii U game again, someone's gonna get me. XD )
Also, I met a bunch of people on Miiverse, too. Some good, some kinda strange, and some very helpful \o/ Those moments I'll cherish the most about the Wii U. :3

Reactions: Ace
I was really excited about my wii u. When I could finally buy it, that day must have been one of my all time best moments of my life. I spent a lot of time on my wii u rather than my other consoles. Even today, I still play mario kart 8, splatoon which is really fun! And many more. I still have games that I haven´t started. So my view on the wii u is: no matter the time, the year or even the amount of nintendo consoles releasing after it, there will always be a place for it on my desk to play its amazing games. I think the wii u is fantastic system on its own that every nintendo lover should play with.

Meh system. Too much of a price for a huge gamepad to be included. Games are pretty good and paved the way for the console even as a financial failure in the end.

The two things I appreciate about the Wii U that the switch doesn't have is that I can talk to my friends online via message on miiverse and that you can add friends on the friends list by simply searching name which is why I'm dissapointed that Nintendo is again doing friendcodes with their consoles. Anyway I expect them to discontinue online for the Wii U 1 to 2 years from now which kinda saddens me because it felt like the wii u had a short run.

Still play it quite a bit. The Switch is a waste of money and has a terrible selection of games (rehashed wii u games are the extent of it). Nintendo will eventually fail and their current state is showing it.

I think to this day the wii u was underrated because a lot of people thought it was just another controller for the wii. I feel it is a very good console that can has good graphics and is very efficient how it worked. I feel it would of got more sales if people would just give it a chance. It's a shame...

Back