What does everyone think about the New 2DS XL?

• Thread starter Samster
  • Start date
Samster

Samster

*secretly has a crush on Marina
Towns Folk
OK. Here's what I think of the New 2DS XL. Personally, I think it's a great purchase for one reason. It has no 3D feature. Now, here's what your, probably thinking: "What's wrong with you, you dingus?! Why would you not want the 3D feature?" And here's my reason. The 3D feature was a failed design. Most people got a 3DS just to play the games on there, not at all for the 3D feature. That's why Nintendo made the new 2DS XL. Plus, the New 2DS is almost exactly the same (minus the 3D feature), and the thing is WAY CHEAPER!!!! So, what do you guys think? leave your feedback down in the comments below!!!

If I didn't buy my 3DS XL back in 2013 right now I'd probably get it: it has New 3DS games compatibility, it's cheap and is big as every other XL model (I think they all have the same dimension - not like the "little" ones of which the New is slighty bigger than the old - right?) and I really like its overall design.

Honestly, in my opinion, it's just Nintendo trying to keep the 3ds/2ds alive for a little longer. The Nintendo Switch is out and it really feels like a replacement for the 3ds in a way, I don't see the 3ds/2ds being able to live alongside the switch. I think most people would be fine without the New 2ds. I'm sure not a lot of people are really interested in it as a) 3ds family has been living for very, very long and b) handhelds sadly are slowly dying because of smartphone gaming. If I didn't have a 3ds or it was released 2 years ago I might have considered buying it, especially since I have a super outdated original 3ds.

I don't.

I can't buy one but I'd like to because my Nintendo 3DSXL is getting old... I actually like the design. It's far better than the Nintendo 2DS that couldn't be closed and that didn't fit in a pocket. and since I don't use 3D a lot, it's all good.

Reactions: Theresia
At times I wish Nintendo would release this quite sooner considering that some like to play it without 3D on but wanting to get the advantages that New 3DS models have. And it's more comfortable than the previous 2DS model which is unfoldable. If it was released at the same time along with New 3DS models tho, I might consider between New 2DS XL or New (regular) 3DS to get.

Reactions: Alegria
The 3d thing was a fad anyways so I think it was a good idea. Plus the clam shell design working for it much better then the other they made , It keeps the screen from getting damaged and is much easier to take with you when going out. I'm not sure why they didn't just make it the same way as the other models of the 3ds in the 1st place but I guess better late then never I guess.

It stinks it looks like two phones connected together also the design is lame too the color turquoise is more feminine than masculine sometimes I see the commercial of the American boy playing the 2dsxl and he's either playing "Hey Pikimin" or "Miitopia" and his mom tries to help him out and it kind of looks girly for a boy he'd be better off with a 3ds xl not a 2ds xl I think the 2ds xl was extra and it came out to keep the 3ds alive since the Nintendo switch came out my cousin wanted to buy a 2ds xl ,but I told him it didn't really look good as expected he should buy a New 3ds xl or wait for the next handheld game.

Am I the only one to wonder what's girly in it?

Reactions: Kitsune_Sakura64 and Arshan
Am I the only one to wonder what's girly in it?
No, I don't see anything girly about it either. And why would it matter if it's "girly" anyways?

Reactions: Kitsune_Sakura64 and Alegria
I don´t think the 3ds feature was a failed design. I mean it is a great addition and there are some games that make really good use of the 3d feature, I love it!. Now, I think the new 2ds is a great console system as well, I may fit extremely well for Little kids because we as adults have to look after them, and abusing of the 3d feature may harm kids´sight. It is also something good for the market because you are not tied to buy the standard 3ds system if you are not up for the 3d in gaming.

Reactions: Kitsune_Sakura64 and Alegria
I completely agree. I prefer the functionality to the flair of a 3d mode. In all honesty the 3d mode just gives me a migraine. So to have the option for it to not be there at all and for a cheaper price is amazing. I really want a 2ds xl! Especially since it can fold! I have really missed that feature with the original 2ds.

I'm not totally against 3d, I mean, it's an occasional improvement (or a gadget novelty) like you could occasionally play a game with good headphones... but surely if I have had the choice between a new nintendo 2dsxl or a new 3dsxl, it would have been a 2

I love the idea of the 2ds systems. The 3ds is old tech, so people are more likely to buy it at a lower price. They lowered the price by getting rid of the 3d feature, which was cool but not necessary for many games. (might not be needed at all if you don’t think you need it for 3d land) in the end you get a cheap way to enjoy the massive library of 3ds and ds games.
The new 2ds xl is another option so you can have the benefits of a new 3ds (exept enhanced 3d) for less. If there isn’t a smaller size though then they might not be going for cheapness.

Alternatives are always great, but keep in mind that the 3D feature was, without a doubt, one of the key features shown when the 3DS was first announced. It probably wouldn't have done so well if it were just shown as a "more powerful" DS. Nowadays, lots of games don't utilize the 3D feature anymore, and that's ok.

I personally still occasionally use the 3D feature. It's still cool in my opinion.

Reactions: Alegria and Duffy
Alternatives are always great, but keep in mind that the 3D feature was, without a doubt, one of the key features shown when the 3DS was first announced. It probably wouldn't have done so well if it were just shown as a "more powerful" DS. Nowadays, lots of games don't utilize the 3D feature anymore, and that's ok.

I personally still occasionally use the 3D feature. It's still cool in my opinion.
I have to agree with this. Without the 3d, the 3ds would have had an even more abysmal launch... but now that we are here years later alternatives are great. If people don't want the 3d effect, they now have a way to save like 70$ and not get it! The design of the console itself is debated as to whether or not it is better then other designs, but that is a good thing in my opinion. More designs means there are more ways to fit more people's preferences and more ways to make players happy. It's a win-win in my opinion.

Reactions: Alegria and 2071
I have to agree with this. Without the 3d, the 3ds would have had an even more abysmal launch... but now that we are here years later alternatives are great. If people don't want the 3d effect, they now have a way to save like 70$ and not get it! The design of the console itself is debated as to whether or not it is better then other designs, but that is a good thing in my opinion. More designs means there are more ways to fit more people's preferences and more ways to make players happy. It's a win-win in my opinion.
Another probable reason for someone to buy a New 2DS XL is if they are a parent and are looking to buy one for their child and obviously don't want the 3D feature to affect their eyesight (though parental controls exist). A 2DS might not be something a kid would want because of many things (perhaps too ugly or the kid wants to play a New 3DS game :p) so the New 2DS XL is a perfect compromise.

Reactions: Alegria and Duffy
Honestly i would have to say my favourite fruit would be apples. That would probably be because my town fruit is apples and the perfect apples look like galaxy apples to me.

Also i am missing one fruit, the pear. Other than that i believe i have them all!

Another probable reason for someone to buy a New 2DS XL is if they are a parent and are looking to buy one for their child and obviously don't want the 3D feature to affect their eyesight (though parental controls exist). A 2DS might not be something a kid would want because of many things (perhaps too ugly or the kid wants to play a New 3DS game :p) so the New 2DS XL is a perfect compromise.
That is a good reason but did you know that the new 3ds has parental controls options to make a pin be required whenever the slider is moved up to avoid eye damage. Still, not having 3d at all is an option, but you can have the option of 3d without worrying about people’s eyes.

That is a good reason but did you know that the new 3ds has parental controls options to make a pin be required whenever the slider is moved up to avoid eye damage. Still, not having 3d at all is an option, but you can have the option of 3d without worrying about people’s eyes.
Yes hence:
(though parental controls exist)
In addition to that would be the price, which is a significant difference.

Also you have an unrelated quote there :p

Oops. Extra quote and missed a small detail in your post that makes my entire post pointless. Epic fail.

Back