What Got You Into Smash?

• Thread starter G MAN
  • Start date
G MAN

G MAN

NYEH HEH HEH!
Towns Folk
So, ever since I was little, I was a fan of Pokemon. From the show to the games, I ADORED it. Later on, I bought a Wii, where I played New Super Mario Bros. Wii. This was personally my favorite Mario game, but later on I tried Super Mario World, Super Mario Bros., and so on. Needless to say, I loved both franchises equally. I used to rent games at my local Blockbuster back when that was a thing. I saw Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and was confused. I picked it up and looked at the box. Wait. No, no, I'm confused. WHAT?!? Pikachu and Mario on the same box? Yep, renting this. And I did. Ever since then, Smash has been my favorite fighting game franchise. It taught me about pretty much every Nintendo franchise ever made, and I'm now a complete fanboy of any of these iconic franchises. Anyways, what got you guys into Smash?

My first smash game was Smash Wii
I got cause... Well honestly I don't even know .-.
I thought the game just looked cool so my dad decided to buy it for me
Then it became one of my favourite games :D

I think it was when I checked several Pokémon games and stumbled upon Super Smash Bros. in N64, and decided to try it on. Later on I'm hooked and find myself liking it! Since then, I started to know about other series like The Legend of Zelda and Yoshi, among others, and started playing it afterwards.

Actually, I remember my first introduction to Smash being from my dad, who recommended me to play Super Smash Bros. Brawl when he saw the game at a store. Strangely enough, I wasn't interest by what I saw at first, but when I got to playing the game over at a friend's house, I adored it, and went to immediately ask my father to send me the game from England. I even remember it was around 2010 when I got the game as either a birthday or a Children's Day present! Either the origin, I had a blast playing through many hours of it after receiving it from the mail. :)

I remember playing it on the Nintendo 64 when I was a kid, and I guess I just never really lost interest in it. xD I don't think there was really any specific way I got into it. I guess being able to play as a variety of characters I enjoyed? I dunno.

A classmate of mine on 1st grade IIRC lent me 2 N64 games, Kirby 64 and SSB :3

I became a fan of both series after that, lol.

My half bro had a perscription to GamePro, and I saw an add for SSB Melee. (This had interested me quite a bit. (But there weren't enough screenshots to the game for me to solidify my opinion, so I was aprihensive.) then the same afromentioned half bro brought it home with him one day - which really surprised me that morning, and I popped it in the machine. The rest from there is history.

Reactions: MindzEye
I think it's Pedians who got me into Smash. A fighting game with a mashup of Nintendo characters from multiple first party Nintendo titles helped as well.

I know I played Brawl at a friend's house but that alone didn't sell me on getting any Smash game.

My friends did. One day I was just in school when I was younger and my friends were like "Oh, did you hear about smash bros, I use (insert character they used here) and it's so fun!" so after a while of me hearing about it I just got sick of hearing about it and not knowing what it was! So I bought it and it was immediately taking my attention away from everything but smash bros, so I got obsessed :)

Super Smash Bros. Brawl was a major part of my childhood. So I got hyped when Smash Bros. for 3Ds was announced. And it went nowhere but forward after that.

My half bro had a perscription to GamePro, and I saw an add for SSB Melee. (This had interested me quite a bit. (But there weren't enough screenshots to the game for me to solidify my opinion, so I was aprihensive.) then the same afromentioned half bro brought it home with him one day - which really surprised me that morning, and I popped it in the machine. The rest from there is history.
Subscription you idiot! >w< Not Perscription! :rotfl:

Reactions: etrian_warrior and Ace
Ok, so I never really liked the idea of characters across different games fighting each other for glory. So, at first, I never gave smash a chance, then however, I was perusing the web and found Super Smash Flash 2 and thought to give it a try, fell in love with black mage. Couldn't help wondering if the real game was also that great and while I wish the main game had Black Mage it is every bit as good as it's counterpart. Lucario, god of flying so fast and far on sudden death no-one knows but him knows where, heh.

What got me into Super Smash was the Internet. While looking for good Nintendo games online I stumbled upon Super Smash. I then searched it up on YouTube, saw it was amazing and finally got it. For a while, Super Smash has remained the game I come to when I am frustrated or bored.

I got a copy of the Nintendo 64 original, and I was bad at it as a kid. Growing up, I got really good.

Sadly I never owned Melee, as I always played that at friends' houses and special events.

I saw Brawl, and just HAD to try it, and I was amazed that Sonic the Hedgehog joined the roster as an unlockable.

I lost my copy of the 3DS version, but still own the Wii U version, and I even have a member of this website as a friend.

So here's the supposed story of how I was introduced.

My family had a dog (who we named "dog") that was lost. Then we found the neighbor who was the owner. We were all sad, but my mom was like "good riddance".

My brother was mad about that, so my dad decided that he could get a game. Of course, he got Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Then I fell asleep, but I woke up and everyone else was sleeping. I decided to play some Wii Sports (since that was like the only wii game we had). Then I saw Smash Bros Brawl, and I decided to try it out, and since it had Mario, I thought it would be a cool Mario game.

Turns out you beat each other up, which I also liked.

Then yeah, that's how I was introduced to Smash. Kinda a weird and long story now that I think about it.

hmmmm, what got me into smash. Easily had to be me playing melee through the arcade mode and when I got to master hand I got frustrated. So I stopped playing it. Then I saw an ad on tv for super smash for 3ds/wii u. I was confused, so I didn't try it. Then they revealed ryu, cloud, bayonetta, roy, mewtwo, and corrin as dlc characters. I decided that would be my reason to play them, since I liked melee. Let's just say I am hooked.

What got me into smash was my mum buying me a GameCube with Melee back in 2005, I played it sooo much.

So when Brawl came out, that's when we bought a Wii, and with Smash 4 I got the Wii U at launch and won a copy of Smash for free at a tournament at a store. That introduced me to the competitive scene which is awesome

My brothers got me into Smash Melee and I was hooked ever since. Im pretty sure the only reason they wanted ME to play was to beat me into the ground, water me 'till I grow into tree, cut me down, then use me as firewood to make smores...Anyway... I feel like it took forever for Brawl to be announced, then when they announced Smash for 3ds/Wii U! WhooWee!

At a garage sale they had a copy a Smash for the 64, at the time I had no idea what it was but all my friends were talking about it because Brawl just came out so I got it, over time I learned more and more about it such as it's competitive scene so I trained to get better, my skills certainly improved but they weren't tournament worthy. My main was Link for the longest time as his down aerial was the most o.p move I knew, combined with smooth landing I was basically untouchable. My 12th birthday came rolling around, I had asked for the new Smash game and I wanted it bad it had added 37 new characters for me to play with and online multiplayer, finally I wouldn't be alone playing team battles with level 9 CPU's against level 1 CPU's. So I got the game and it was awesome, but then something struck me once I started playing as Link, they removed smooth landing, so I went online to find out why turns out smooth landing was only in 64. So now I had a new Smash game that was so different then what I was used to, it was August 2008 again, I needed to learn the controls because they added side smashes and final smashes and I still had to learn all 49 characters' moves, and Link couldn't be my main anymore because they removed smooth landing. I tried Sonic, too fast, tried Bowser, too slow, tried Mii Fighter, once you move the stick he's all over the place, but then I learned Fox was no longer only good for his up smash his blaster was now suited to my speed. And I've been stuck with Smash 3DS since, I tried going back to 64 but that was WAY too slow.

My brothers asked me if I wanted to play a new fighting game they bought called 'Super Smash Bros. Melee'. I said "sure" and enjoyed playing the game. :jimlad:

Back