What makes Monster Hunter so popular?

• Thread starter DemiseofHope
  • Start date
DemiseofHope

DemiseofHope

"I am the final pawn at the end of the board"
Towns Folk
Just an honest question,because I personally played the 3DS demo of the game and didn't like it too much...what is Monster Hunter's most prominent feature that makes it so popular according to you guys?.

Reactions: faustine
You can take up an awesome weapon, and hunt giant monsters! :D

The combination of everything. The Monster Hunter series offers some of the best co-op multiplayer available to 3DS/Wii U owners. The game sports spectacular graphics, an indulging storyline, limitless customization, and a huge land with monsters to hunt.
The multiplayer is what makes this game shine. It is very rewarding to fight a monster with an ally. It not only makes it a lot easier, but you both also get extra rewards and a chance of co-ordinated attacks.
The demo on the 3DS does not really show much. You get to fight Monsters, but that's it. There is no tutorial, and you fight strong monsters without experience. If any of your friends have this game, it's worth a try.

Sounds really interesting now that I look at it.Thank you!.:3

Reactions: 532
Well, I will realize that as soon as I play MH4U in my 3DS.
Never got the chance to play Monster Hunter (just some hours), and I always thought God Eater was more fun.

I felt the same way as you untill I played mh on my wii system and honestly I don't know what it is exactly that engages people to play this game but when I realized how much time had passed since I started playing, It was like four hours. I think it may be the feeling of progress within the game, you know you start in a very low rank with even low armor and weapons and then you start hunting monsters that are two, then three, four and ten thousand your size and you still keep on going the hunt.

Well seeing that MHU4 is going to be released soon the graphics and the game play make it popular to me because of the story and the quests and the hard to beat monsters.When MHU4 is going to be released the monster hunter series will become more popular.

I wouldn't exactly call it a popular game lol. Not in the West, anyways. But the reason that people like it is that it's challenging. Every fight is a boss fight and beating those "bosses" makes you feel like a bad@#$.

I wouldn't exactly call it a good storyline, but MH4U is supposed to fix that xD

I guess the main charm of this game is that it isn't cute-sy and it is kind of refreshing to see a non-cutie pie main character in nintendo console/handheld. The quests are somewhat frustrating if you don't know the strategy on slicing up monsters. You can maximize your MHU4 demo by trying different kinds of weapons and see what's your favorite among them.

It might be the relative open world-ness of it all. Or maybe it's the sheer size of the monsters and fun and reward of beating them. It kind of has that Final Fantasy feel to it, which is somethign many gamers everywhere simply and absolutely LOVE. Or at least I do. The range of weapons is also fantastic. With Circle Pad pro, i think the controls are actually pretty good, too.

I played one of the games on the DS a few years back, and I never really liked it. But I think now, looking at the improved graphics on the 3DS and the multiplayer system, that the series has really grown, and I believe I should jump back into it again. I didn't dislike the game I played, but it just felt empty. Now, with the multiplayer and the social features that the 3DS brings, it makes this series a whole lot better imo.

I'm on the same plane as you. I still don't understand the point of Monster Hunter. D:

I'm on the same plane as you. I still don't understand the point of Monster Hunter. D:
Well, it's a 4-player battle arena game and is known as THE game in that genre. It's not about the story, but the experience ;)

I bought MH3 Ultimate for my Wii U and I still can't understand either. I know how to play the game but the fact that it takes forever to defeat a monster really makes the game a lot tougher than it needs to be for me, at least in the beginning of the game. That being said I would play it a lot more if they kept the Inuyasha items in the western version of MH3U, since I do think the crossovers are awesome.

I myself didn't understand the game at first when I played the demo for MH3 a super long time ago ... But after playing this demo and getting to know the controls it begins to be a super addictive game especially in multiplayer mode. But one of the hard parts of learning the game is the controls but once that is done youll see the experience. On the other hand it DOES take and eternity to defeat a monter by yourself.......................:dead:

It's really fun if you like slashing things and stuff. I'm really hyped for mh4u and hope to get it soon like a bunch of other people. One of the main attractions of the game is the variety. The game has 70+ DIFFFERENT monsters to play as and just so many different weapons and armor. It has varied difficulty levels and a sort of small storyline ish. It also has one of the best multiplayer out there

Can't speak on everyone's behalf when I say this, but most of its popularity comes from it's difficulty and multiplayer.

Its kind of a Dark Souls scenario. Not everyone is going to share the 'thrill of the hunt,' which is the whole entire game. If you don't get any sort of adrenaline rush from it all, I wouldn't say its for you.

The game's multiplayer is definitely a huge contribution to its popularity, as you can feel and see that the collaboration of minds is having an effect. Its definitely another adrenaline thing in the end, but more relatable to everybody. More so when you're hunting with a close friend. Its the feeling of emerging triumphant in a battle between two strong forces that I'd say is what makes it popular in the 'multiplayer category.'

To me its just the feeling of actually accomplishing something that looks pretty intimidating.

Let me explain something. When a question is about the entire franchise, you can't go and answer why ONE of the games is good! Just to clarify, while the Monster Hunter series isn't famous in the West, it's been the number 1 selling game series of all time in Japan ever since the very first MH game! The reason is that, unlike almost every Japanese game, it incorporates element like actual physics and logic. It became know because it was realistic back then and, unfortunately, it's losing that aspect which made it into what it is today. To make you better understand what I'm talking about, think about this. When you start the game, you are hampered by the human (mortal) limitations one has in the real world, but as you advance you can find ways to defy physics. An incredibly strong blast of wind can send you flying or you can find a way to overcome this. That's why it became successful. It was because it introduced overcoming your physical limits in one of the best ways there are. You can never become too strong, just change your strengths/weaknesses. That is the originality it introduced and it still retains until today. Also, another example is the there is no hammerspace, which is in almost every other game! That added extra difficulty and required to strategize and adapt every time you set out on a quest! The last example I'll make is the monsters, they are realistic and based on real world animals or beast, but, most of all, they are the most realistic thing in the entire game. Each one of their body parts has it's own health bar and will break off, get scarred or cut off when it's damaged enough. Just like in real life, if you start pounding a tiger's head, it's tail will never be cut off, but if you try to cut, but not pound, the tail, it will come off! All these have always been the huge differences between the Monster Hunter series and the other Japanese games! The last point I'll make about why the series is so well received is the difficulty! You don't get to choose a difficulty level, the games start off with easy and get progressively harder depending on many variants like the armor and weapon you are using, the monster you are facing, the level of the quest and so on. It can go from being a ridiculously easy game to being a complete nightmare where you are killed by a single tap! However, because of the difficulty, it's not that famous in the west, since people over here rarely are able to play such games!

Killing monsters and getting new weapons and armour

Back