What would you do if someone is using your email as their recovery email?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
One day you receive an email about someone signing up for a website and that they have used your email address as their recovery email. You check their profile on the site out and it's no spam account. As a matter of fact, the person actively uses the account for their own purposes.

I'm curious to know what you'd do in a situation such as this one :3

Well first I'd see if my email had been breached. If so, then I'd re-secure my account. Next I'd contact the site admins, explain the situation to them and see if they can get the user to change their recovery email.

If they actively use the account, then I'd be inclined to think that they must of misspelt their recovery email if my email hadn't been breached. Hopefully the issue would be resolved swiftly and then everyone would be happy.

Well first I'd see if my email had been breached.
Anyone can set any email address as their recovery/backup email =P

Anyone can set any email address as their recovery/backup email =P

Yes, but some places require verification emails/they could have needed access to an email that was sent to my email. So, it's possible that my email could have been accessed into.

Wait until they've had their fun for a while, then recover their password, go into their account, change the password thus locking them out, and have a long good root through all their stuff looking for blackmail material.

If not, then leave them locked out of the account and post some embarrassing stuff on their profile because serve them right.

If I do find something, then I'll screenshot it, get in touch with the user and blackmail them. I don't know what I'll blackmail them for. If the material is good enough, it might even be money. Otherwise I might make them do something time-consuming very specific for me, tailored for my convenience. Stuff like have a look at all my likes and dislikes, then find, watch and send me detailed reviews of new anime they think I'll like. Get them to commission the best DeviantArt artists to draw lots of fan art for my favourite franchises, or to collect stories they think specifically I will like, print them, bind them into hardcover form with a beautiful cover design, and mail them to an address I can get them from. Oh, and I'd send them a TON of artworks that I'll make them get printed as fabric wall posters, all at their own expense of course, and mail to the same address. If not even ONE little detail is to my liking, I'll make them do it all over again until I'm satisfied, or I'll show everyone on the site their darkest, most embarrassing secrets.

I'm just kidding. You don't think I'm THAT vicious, do yooouuuuu?

I would contact the admins and tell them that some crazy lady is using my gmail account without my authorization :p mind your own business lady or man because I don't want my identity stolen because it would be the worst thing that can possibly happen to someone like my teacher said her identity got stolen after wallet fell and she had to contact the bank and what could the bank do all the money the anonymous person wasted was free for them ,but my teacher had to pay for it because she was responsible for dropping it I kind of felt bad for her because she would always be so stressed.

Laugh, ignore it, then forget about it \:D/

Back