When should/do you swap your hard drive?

• Thread starter 28142
  • Start date

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
Drives do have a life-span. My main drive currently is 'dying' as it's been on in total for just over 600 days. It's a blue western digital HDD though, so it's a bit of a beast. They have a life of around 6 years (Of course, with performance degrading.) so it should last me for a while longer. I'm swapping it out next week though after the fun and games I've had recently with my computer..

How often do you swap your drives and how long have you had your current drive for?

To be totally honest I never did, with a good 10 year old PC. I had an old 32 gig HDD, and eventually added a 1TB drive, yet I still used that 32 gig drive. It became sort of my backup drive, where I would store word documents and backups instead of the OS itself, but it never died on me.

I switch drives when one drive breaks, or whenever I get a new computer.

I mainly backup my important files on a daily basis to another drive, DVD-R and CD-R disc, USB drives, online storage like Google Drive/Dropbox, and other computer drives, other computers, and hope that all my files which are backed up to all these computer drives, and online services won't all suddenly break/disappear because of a fire or flood, and hacker which hacks into my online accounts to delete my files on the same day I lost my files because of a fire or flood.

I think our pc's at home have always had there drive outlive the usage of the pc.
Right now i have my new(2months) laptop for studies (and gaming ofcourse) with both ssd and hdd. But i definatly recommand getting ssd if the space is there. OS and stuff you want to load in fast can go on there, and big files on the hdd. I'm not expecting mine to get too full too soon compared to that ssd, but oh well dual boot OS is on there too, so i'm not to worried i'd ever have to change it.
Last tip, if you considered ssd, never fill it up completly, leave 20-25% open at least or its lifespan goes down drasticly, should be too much of a problem with hdd. (though completly full is never good)

Back