When using Wii U but not using the GamePad

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
What do you do with your Gamepad when your Wii U is on but you're not using the Gamepad itself? As you probably already know, the Gamepad still displays content even when you're not using it.

For example, you could be watching Netflix/YouTube or just be using another controller such as the Pro Controller.

I have it charging on the stand

I simply put it aside. There is a way to turn the gamepad display off as well if you don't want it to consume power while it's not in use.

I broke my gamepad charger lelz so i couldnt play most games on wii u but when im not using it... welp its just on the floor, on the couch charging or perhas in a closet but i rarely stop using it, i like the gamepad a lot i would just like that it wasnt necessary :p

Basically to play button demanding games (Bayonetta, Hyrule Warriors, Smash) or when I'm charging it (despite that I usually still use the Gamepad regardless it is charging or not)

I broke my gamepad charger lelz so i couldnt play most games on wii u but when im not using it... welp its just on the floor, on the couch charging or perhas in a closet but i rarely stop using it, i like the gamepad a lot i would just like that it wasnt necessary :p
Yeah. Many console's features require the gamepad without a logical reason lol

If you can't afford a new charger you can use a USB cable for the gamepad (I bought mine for 15 bucks and I live in a country where it everything is expensive lol) and use an external battery or a charger that has a 2A output. An example would be a Samsung charger (mostly for tablets or S4 models and newer, it is usually white with a usb port)

Reactions: KnighddDd
I sometimes tuck/put the Gamepad away (not to far of course) when I'm watching vids on Youtube, but only if my brother controls the vids that are played (to a playlist from his smartphone). The screen itself can't be turned off, but it's still better than nothing. I keep it charged when it's in this state (using the cable only, not the charging stand).

I usually just put it in sleep mode while it is on the charging dock. Too lazy to carry it far away, and it is conveniently there when I want to play a game such as Splatoon, Xenoblade Chronicles X, or Mario Maker. I usually use the pro controller, so simply keeping it in sleep mode does the trick.

I put it on the charging stand as well. The battery life is quite low on it I found out, so I try to let it there when I don't use it =/

HOME > Display Off (Wii U Gamepad) > *Gets out of the menu with a Pro Controller*

And that's it.

Well sometimes... when I'm playing Smash without the gamepad, I just leave it on the stand and it displays the current percentage of the players. It's a habit of mine to keep my devices active and doing something even if I'm not using them.

I usually forget about the gamepad when that happens but then again, I always use the gamepad so I don't forget the gamepad that often.

I don't use the gamepad when I'm watching Hulu or using the Wii U's backwards compatibility.

Back