Whoever Invented Smogums Battle Clause, I Hate You...

• Thread starter Bobcam7!
  • Start date
Bobcam7!

Bobcam7!

*Consuming itself*
Towns Folk
Don't start yelling at me just yet but my team revolves around pokemon banned by these rules in fact more than half of my team is banned like for instance; Ageislash and Blazican are both banned! Can no one pokemon take a blaze kick or a sacred sword?

Worst yet! EVERY GYM USES THESE RULES! Now I don't mind admitting mega Kanguskauhn or however you spell it is over powered but when the gyms don't get 3 play coins from me... One day I'll make a gym with no restrictions and it will be the only gym like it. That might be the only reason I'll try to become champ.

Smogum anban Mega Kanguskauhn pls

They're banned for a reason. Yes, some bans can be annoying, but I'd still rather play with their rules. Keeps teams from being repetitive.

Reactions: 3905 and Samuel_1802
Smogon rules sounds pretty professional. It's not allowing multiple OP legendries or Pokémon in battles and tactics that can keep a battle going forever. If your gym doesn't have these rules, then anyone who know these forbidden tactics have a bigger advantage over you (I'm taking a shot that you don't know them because you're saying you hate Smogon rules without knowing why they're placed). And to be a gym leader, you have to win the championship and then face a gym takeover battle with a gym leader, meaning you HAVE to face all the gyms following the rules. And seeing that all goes down, you will probably be told to follow and enforce these rules yourself.

TL;DR, the Smogon rules are there for a reason and you have to follow them.

Last edited:
It's Smogon :rotfl:
Everyone had typed up Smogum :p

It's Smogon :rotfl:
Everyone had typed up Smogum :p
Some of us don't care about it anyway.

Plus, there's an edit option.

Some of us don't care about it anyway.

Plus, there's an edit option.
Never said ya'll did :p ya true

I'm still angry how inconsiderate the rules are for peaple who chose torchic for a starter.

I will say what I think about Smogon rules.

Why they are good:
- They prevent endless battles (I can't take it when a battle takes any more than 10 minutes!)
- They do prevent the use of some really annoying strategies
- They prevent the use of the same Pokemon or item being used multiple times in the same team

Why they are bad:
- They ban Pokemon without an actual reason or logic while not banning other OP Pokemon! (Mega Gengar can hardly touch anything, Greninja is weaker than Weavile, Blaziken can't 1-Hit KO even a Swoobat with STAB Blaze Kick, Mega Mawile is far worse than Mega Medicham, they ban anything they don't like to face themselves and keep what they spam in all their teams, Landorus, Terrakion, etc. and so on!)
- They decide how good a Pokemon is just by how often it's used
- 99% of all strategies on Smogon are terrible at best and it's almost impossible to find any good strategies, as almost every Pokemon doesn't even have them listed!
- People are retarded and think of Smogon as a godly website that is official and should dictate how they play the game when in reality it's just a fanmade site that shouldn't get any acknowledgement whatsoever and, most of all, not affect how people play the game!

And my conclusion is, make your own rules for when you play and stop letting others decide how you play the game! Smogon should never be used for anything more than as a reference!

Reactions: 3905
I can agree with the no 2 pokemon that are the same and other than that try to follow the official pokemon rules (which is no legendary's and no soul dew.)

Why they are good:
- They prevent endless battles (I can't take it when a battle takes any more than 10 minutes!)
- They prevent the use of the same Pokemon or item being used multiple times in the same team

Why they are bad:
- They ban Pokemon without an actual reason or logic while not banning other OP Pokemon! (Mega Gengar can hardly touch anything, Greninja is weaker than Weavile, Blaziken can't 1-Hit KO even a Swoobat with STAB Blaze Kick, Mega Mawile is far worse than Mega Medicham, they ban anything they don't like to face themselves and keep what they spam in all their teams, Landorus, Terrakion, etc. and so on!)
- 99% of all strategies on Smogon are terrible at best and it's almost impossible to find any good strategies, as almost every Pokemon doesn't even have them listed!
- People are retarded and think of Smogon as a godly website that is official and should dictate how they play the game when in reality it's just a fanmade site that shouldn't get any acknowledgement whatsoever and, most of all, not affect how people play the game!

And my conclusion is, make your own rules for when you play and stop letting others decide how you play the game! Smogon should never be used for anything more than as a reference!
Smogom: My teams full of electric types so let's ban every guy unless they can't use a super effective move on electric and electric is super effective!(an overkill but the main plot is like what tho said.)

Why they are good:

Why they are bad:

Smogon is the only I guess official rules, people still use it in tourney's often. Protean Greninja is btter than weavile imo.
One thing I didn't like was banning Mega Gengar :c
Until Nintendo ever makes an official list people will use smogon

Reactions: ESP
Until Nintendo ever makes an official list people will use smogon
True. If the majority of Pokémon players (professionals if you want to be that technical) decide that this is the most fair way to play in competitive battles, then I guess we are to follow them. Plus, this Smogon University or the idea of Smogon has been around for almost 11 years. Plus, will Nintendo even bother making some official rule(s) to competitive battling? Most likely not because there are groups of fans taking deeper looks into Pokémon. Apparently, deep enough to create a set of rules to govern professional battles.

Well, if you hate Smogon rules, there's always Battle Spot.

I don't agree with all the bannings, either. (I disagree with Tho on his reasons, tho... PUNS FTW:p)
However, I'm still able to create teams that work. Just create a new team if you really wanna challenge the gyms.

I can't stand it when people say the word "professionals" when it comes to Pokemon and Smogon! How can you even think that they know anything more than the bare basics, when 90+% of the people on Showdown just copy-paste the default strategies from Smogon, which all suck by the way! If you can't make your own rules or even your own team, then why bother playing? As for official rules, Nintendo has them up on the PGL ever since X/Y came out! Every competition uses them! If you don't like those, then there are also the rules for the rating battles, which even have extended banlists including Pokemon like Tyranitar, Talonflame, etc.! You can't complain that there are no official rules when you haven't even bothered to look them up! Also, there are the rules of the World Championships that have been around ever since Pokemon D/P!

I can't stand it when people say the word "professionals" when it comes to Pokemon and Smogon! How can you even think that they know anything more than the bare basics, when 90+% of the people on Showdown just copy-paste the default strategies from Smogon, which all suck by the way! If you can't make your own rules or even your own team, then why bother playing? As for official rules, Nintendo has them up on the PGL ever since X/Y came out! Every competition uses them! If you don't like those, then there are also the rules for the rating battles, which even have extended banlists including Pokemon like Tyranitar, Talonflame, etc.! You can't complain that there are no official rules when you haven't even bothered to look them up! Also, there are the rules of the World Championships that have been around ever since Pokemon D/P!
Could you please post it up?
Saying they suck is a opinion. Noone ever said that smogon was godly. Pretty sure not every competition uses them, maybe only the official ones hosted by Nintendo.

POKÉMON VIDEO GAME TOURNAMENT FORMATS
Pokémon Organized Play supports several tournament formats for sanctioned play of the Pokémon video games. This document covers each of the approved formats and their variations. Tournaments that do not use one of the formats described here may not be sanctioned.

1. Standard Format Style
All sanctioned Pokémon video game tournaments require players to assemble a team of Pokémon, with items, prior to the start of the event. The Standard format for all Play! Pokémon Premier tournaments is Double Battle.

I'm pretty sure not everybody will like double battles. I would rather prefer singles

11. Fun Formats
The formats listed below are intended as a fun, alternate way to play the Pokémon video games and are not recognized as Premier event formats. These formats are great for Leagues, casual gatherings, or side events and may be sanctioned. The official rules for these formats are included here to help provide consistency for cases when your Tournament Organizer or League Leader decides to run a non-Premier event using one of these formats.

11.1. Single Battle
The Single Battle format is the basic battle format, where two Pokémon battle one-on-one.

The sets are on Smogon because they were proven to work. They may not work for you, but they definitely don't suck.

Reactions: Lee Sin
The sets are on Smogon because they were proven to work. They may not work for you, but they definitely don't suck.
They DO suck! Have you tried them out any? Let me make an example. Say we have a Greninja, Smogon suggests this, while a FAR better set would be this:
Timid
Protean
Expert Belt
4/0/0/252/0/252
Scald
Dark Pulse
Ice Beam
Extrasensory or Water Shuriken (to change types fast if needed!)

Compare them and you'll see which one is more dangerous to face! By the way, the Smogon one is useless against Sableye, Liepard, Espeon, many Taunt users, if the opponent has any Poison types or Rapid Spin/Defog users and almost every OU Pokemon there is!

They DO suck! Have you tried them out any? Let me make an example. Say we have a Greninja, Smogon suggests this, while a FAR better set would be this:
Timid
Protean
Expert Belt
4/0/0/252/0/252
Scald
Dark Pulse
Ice Beam
Extrasensory or Water Shuriken (to change types fast if needed!)

Compare them and you'll see which one is more dangerous to face! By the way, the Smogon one is useless against Sableye, Liepard, Espeon, many Taunt users, if the opponent has any Poison types or Rapid Spin/Defog users and almost every OU Pokemon there is!
It's just a suggestion I've used Pokémon Showdown for over 3 years now and as Well as PO and they both use Smogon Tiers but I prefer Pokémon Showdown

Yes, I have tried many of them out. I started out using Smogon sets and I still use them as a basis a lot of times.

Have you ever noticed that Smogon gives (most) Pokemon more than one set to work with? That's (the one on Smogon) just one set that isn't even an attacking one. If you hop on over to BattleSpotSingles, you'll find a set that is very similar to the one you just posted.

It's just a suggestion I've used Pokémon Showdown for over 3 years now and as Well as PO and they both use Smogon Tiers but I prefer Pokémon Showdown
That's EXACTLY my point! Why can't you understand it yet? Smogon should be used ONLY as a reference! I can't stand it when people just copy-paste the sets from there, make teams like that and then also be called professionals on top of all that!

Back