Why do people collect amiibos?

• Thread starter cloudmario666
  • Start date
C

cloudmario666

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
I dont understand why people collect amiibos.I own 1 amiibo but thats because i found it on the floor of a outside parking lot of a target( it was a lucas it was outside of box).I dont get why people waste time and money buying toys that are used for video games but don't even unbox them, like why even buy them if you just look at them(ever heard of google images). I do understand the people that collect and use amiibos because they actually use the amiibos like they are suppose to, unlike the people that hang them a wall like a picture.I think amiibos are cool but i see too many videos on yt of a bunch of losers with a wall full of unopened amiibos. I know its a hobby but amiibo/toy collecting is dumb in general.

I couldn't care less if Amiibos didn't have any way of communicating with the game. The only game I've used my 3-4 amiibos on was Mario Maker because it unlocks extra skins.

I want to collect amiibos though because they're pretty well made, they looks nice and well they're just there incase I do ever want to use them. I'm not one of those people that leave them unopened because that just takes up too much space. I'd much rather buy a stand to put them on.

But yeah, I just buy them for the looks and for display as they don't really do much in games (that I own anyway) other then just add some aesthetic features so there's really not much use for them. When I do get the splatoon ones I'll probably use them as they do add more stuff to the game.

Some people for the gameplay benefits, those are the ones who unbox them.

Others for collectionism purposes.

People like what they like :p

A lot of people buy them and leave them in-opened, so that a long time later, they'll hopefully be rare collectables, and having a large collection in "New" condition will be worth thousands or millions of dollars. But if everyone is collection and not unboxing, I don't think they'll turn out to be that rare.

I don't collect amiibo, firstly to pricy they're $12.00 I only got $3.67 and I do use my amiibo, but I do have one I collected but not really, I got a Mario amiibo and I use him all the time but I have a Splatoon amiibo that I can't use because it doesn't work with any amiibo games I can get (Not including Mini Mario & Friends: Amiibo Challenge, in that he's just useless) So basically I leave it on my shelf waiting to be played with once we get a Wii U... I may as well just sell it, there's NO way my mom would get a Wii U just so my amiibo is compatible with something.

Many people just buy amiibos to customized them, keep them in their box unopened, collect them for the future or to sell them again but for $50, or people like me who just use them every once in a while playing games such as smash bros and splatoon.

I personally don't. My brother and I each have 1 (Toon Link and Mario) as said in some of the answers above,some use it for the gameplay benefits while some like to collect or make a business out of them.It really depends on what you want to do with it some people have the money to collect them( I don't).Either way Nintendo is making the $$$

Why do people collect very expensive figures from Japan? why do people build Ships in bottles? why do people collect buttons? (Which has no real advantage other than fixing a shirt.)

I imagine only children collect Amiibo. (The same children who by Skylanders, or Disney's infinity.) Neither have a real use or function, other than to add to a game. (only Skylanders or Infinity has done this more so than Amiibo.) Not something I wanna sink dollars into.

The only reason I have any interest in amiibos is not because of the gameplay, it's because they're collectibles for Nintendo characters. The only two I have are gifts, but I want at least one of the BOTW amiibo because they look so cool. So again, I only see them as cool collectibles of Nintendo characters, and would only buy them as such since their gameplay is very minimal

Collect amiibo, keep them in their box, eventually sell for $HUGE PROFIT$
Collecting in a nutshell.

I would say that the reason most people like Amiibo is because they just feel the need to own one so they can have it! I mean, it is kinda like asking "Why do we even play video games" because it is fun. Why do we collect figurines? Because it is (in a sort of odd way) fun! It might also be because they just want to use it in their game, :)

I collect amiibo because I love using them as decorations. And I don't collect all of them just the ones I think look cool. Also this is the only way to get figures of characters like Ness, Mr. Game and Watch, and Chibi Robo

Well, first off, they look great as simple figures sitting around on a desk or whatnot. People had been waiting for Nintendo to make these for years. I mean, where else are you going to find a figure of Captain Falcon? Second, while not necessary to play the games, they usually add neat aspects of functionality to the games in which they are used.

Back