Wii still being supported?

• Thread starter VirtulJordan
  • Start date
VirtulJordan

VirtulJordan

Pokemon Master
Towns Folk
Nintendo just recently announced that in 2019, the Wii shopping channel would finally be closed. While its sad news, it's still a wonder why the channel was still up after online services for the system have been long gone for a while now. And despite Nintendo having moved on to the WiiU, for some odd reason developers continued to support the system.

The development team behind Skylanders has supported the Wii with games for years, in fact, Skylanders Superchargers can be played on the Wii. And remember that game came with Bowser and Donkey Kong figured that doubled as Amiibo, so yes, the Wii eventually got Amiibo support because of them. Even if it was for just 1 game.

But they aren't the only ones who still supported the system, Ubisoft is also releasing the new Just Dance for the system as well. Which is a 2018 game being ported over to the Wii. Its crazy to think they still want to produce games for a system 2 generations behind. So are we still going to get games for the Wii after the online shop gets shut down? We will just have to wait and see what Just Dance 2020 has to say.

I think the fact that the Switch is much more easier to work with will appeal to devs, which will then increase the size of the library, and drive more sales for the console.

Once the console will have more sales, I think devs won't see any point in supporting the Wii anymore, unless it still has a lot of game sales, a market, a demand.

Wii U didn't sell that much, so devs tried to keep on supporting the wii to make sales, or drop of Nintendo console all together. I think the Switch will change that.

I think its mostly due to those games having most of their target audience on the wii. Just Dance doesn't need an explanation, the people who buy it are mostly more casual gamers, and the wii had countless numbers of those. A lot of skylanders fans are actually young kids who play the games on their wii. Skylanders to them is seen as a toy and their wii is seen as a toy (since, you know, bad perceptions of the wii and stuff) that they use to play skylanders. They probably don't have a newer console either because really why would they need one, when you are young you don't think much about how outdated the hardware is and stuff. But yeah point is these types of games have massive or sometimes the majority of their audience on dead consoles. It's the same reason fifa is still on last gens consoles. There is a large userbase there to support it.

Back