Would you rather get backwards compatibility or get remakes with new features?

• Thread starter SVF Ramen
  • Start date
SVF Ramen

SVF Ramen

NintenPedia Member
Towns Folk
I have heard rumors of games like Smash and Splatoon getting remakes on the NX. I personally do not want that. I dont want to spend 60 dollars for a game I already have. I hope backwards compatibility online since Splatoon is a year old. What do you think?

Maybe backwards compatibly, people already have Wii U games why pay for the exact same game when you already own it.

Maybe backwards compatibly, people already have Wii U games why pay for the exact same game when you already own it.
Exactly! With NN being new you can just link them both and get all your data and virtual console games.

Reactions: BonnetteForever
backwards compatibly, I dont want to pay money for a game I have

I don't think anyone wants remakes of 3ds and Wii U games so just have backwards compatibility. Though remakes of older games would be nice *COUGH MOTHER3 COUGH*

Well some games are already great and I think that backwards compatibility should be a thing. But some games should also get a remake, but that is for older games. But it should be backwards compatible with the wii, wii u and 3ds. It would be so cool to play great wii, wii u and 3ds games on the new console. But I can't wait to see new info on the nx.

• Well some games are already great and I think that backwards compatibility should be a thing. But some games should also get a remake, but that is for older games. But it should be backwards compatible with the wii, wii u and 3ds. It would be so cool to play great wii, wii u and 3ds games on the new console. But I can't wait to see new info on the nx.
    To be compatible with 3ds and Wii U, it would have to be a mix of a handheld and a home console which would be really cool! I don't think they'll make is compatible with the Wii, though.

Backwards compatibility is the dream, but re-releases are the expectation.

On the one hand, having a console with BC can attract other players with old, lost, or destroyed consoles to buy this fancy new one instead of shopping for older ones; on the other, if both consoles play the same things, and if there isn't too much for the NX on launch-day, there wouldn't be much of a reason to buy it. (That's just my lifetime of experience tho, I'm not speaking for erybody here.)

On the one hand I'd really like there to be BC on the NX, as this will allow me to redo my immediate gaming past; but on the other, installing this onto the NX will no-doubt take time: if they haven't already had BC in mind, that may be time they can't make up for. I'm loyal enough to wait for it if it's happening, but I wonder who else will?

^ This, although I highly doubt the NX will be backwards compatible with Wii and/or Wii U games.

I want to see developers work on brand new games, not ones I've played from ages ago just for us to remember the experience. Sure, at times it can be fun but I'd like to see the time invested in new stuff to prevent less new game ideas from being developed which the console will need.

I read somewhere that the new president of Nintendo said that the NX will NOT be a successor to the Wii U so I don't think it will backwards compatible. :(

I hope it has backward compatibility. At this date, I don't have any Wii U games though I am willing to try some very badly, such as Mario Kart 8 and Pokkén. If they want to make remakes, they can, but they should not get rid of backward compatibility.

Backwards compatibility can be achieved through digital titles though, so being limited by physical media is no longer a thing :p

Backwards compatibility can be achieved through digital titles though, so being limited by physical media is no longer a thing :p
Yeah but we would have to buy them again buy yeah they are not lost forever.

Doesn't backwards compatibility depend on what kind of architecture the NX uses? For example, Wii U used PowerPC whilst most other big companies use x86. Assuming Nintendo want to try and sway the big third-party developers to NX, it would be in their best interest to use x86, but that would probably remove backwards compatibility, or at the very least, make it incredibly hard to put backwards compatibility into the system.

Regardless, I would still love to see it backwards compatible with the Wii U as I haven't had a chance to play any Wii U games and I would most likely buy an NX in the future, so that would be nice. Remakes/ports or whatever would also be nice if it's easy to do, but the main point is that I would like to play some Wii U games on the NX and I don't really care about how it is done.

Doesn't backwards compatibility depend on what kind of architecture the NX uses? For example, Wii U used PowerPC whilst most other big companies use x86. Assuming Nintendo want to try and sway the big third-party developers to NX, it would be in their best interest to use x86, but that would probably remove backwards compatibility, or at the very least, make it incredibly hard to put backwards compatibility into the system.

Regardless, I would still love to see it backwards compatible with the Wii U as I haven't had a chance to play any Wii U games and I would most likely buy an NX in the future, so that would be nice. Remakes/ports or whatever would also be nice if it's easy to do, but the main point is that I would like to play some Wii U games on the NX and I don't really care about how it is done.
Yeah, the architecture can be quite different, so I doubt there will be any backward compatibility.

Remakes are possible though, and I am sure quite a few titles will be remade on the Nx. It will certainly be much harder with a different architecture, meaning that there will probably be just a few remakes of Wii u games. Mario Maker and Splatoon are great potential remakes that I would like to see.

Reactions: TheYESDragon
It depends for me. I have a Wii U and I'm probably going to get the NX when it comes out. I think that backwards compatibility is a must have in the gaming industry as a whole. I'd totally get a XB1 if I had 360 games (and a 360 in itself) but I don't, and that's keeping me back. Same with the PS4, but that doesn't have it for PS3 games. It does have older games in the store though. This brings me back to the NX. I'd probably be very turned off if the NX didn't have backwards compatibility with Wii U games. I'll still buy it, as I always buy the new Nintendo consoles. I'd rather get backwards compatibility because not all games get remade. There are a lot of games that haven't gotten remakes on the Wii U that could use the HD on it. I'm all for backwards compatibility, but if they remake a lot of games, I probably won't be turned off as much as if they didn't have any remakes.

Backwards compatibility so that I wont need to buy new versions of the same game (even if it does have more features). If they where going to do new versions with more features then why not just roll out free dlcs or updates? :/

The only excuse I'd accept for if they do new versions is if the hardware is too different. But even then for example the 3ds can run really old ds games, so I don't see any excuse nintendo can make. Even the wii could play Gamecube disks.. So yeah, I think there will be backwards compatibility as Nintendo is known for doing that.

Backwards compatibility so that I wont need to buy new versions of the same game (even if it does have more features). If they where going to do new versions with more features then why not just roll out free dlcs or updates? :/

The only excuse I'd accept for if they do new versions is if the hardware is too different. But even then for example the 3ds can run really old ds games, so I don't see any excuse nintendo can make. Even the wii could play Gamecube disks.. So yeah, I think there will be backwards compatibility as Nintendo is known for doing that.
BUT, the DS and the GBA had identical architectures, the 3DS has DS-mode software and GBA software and partitions on it, as well as a similar architecture. Same deal with the GCN, Wii and Wii U, they aren't very different inside.

BUT, the DS and the GBA had identical architectures, the 3DS has DS-mode software and GBA software and partitions on it, as well as a similar architecture. Same deal with the GCN, Wii and Wii U, they aren't very different inside.

True, I was just using themas example though that nintendo is very well known for having backwards compatibility.

If it was in the last generation, backwards compatibility. If it was further back, remakes because games can get REALLY expensive if they were popular enough to warrant a remake.

Back