Would you use your CPU to earn Play Coins at Pedia?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Someone mentioned if it was possible to use a website like coinhive with Ninten Pedia, so that they can use their CPU to support Pedia or earn Play Coins (can't remember which one it was) :panda:

I'm posting this thread to see how many people will be interested in such a thing :cool-pika:

How it'll work :

Hermione Granger selects an option (yes or no option to choose when to enable/disable) to join the miners group. When Granger uses Pedia, the coinhive script will load on her page and the longer she stays on Pedia, the more Play Coins she'll earn. It's another alternative to posting for the people who wanted it.

I'm not sure if I'll award Play Coins or have some sort of special random giveaway yet for our miners.

So yeah, how many people have decent computer CPUs and like the idea? :redpanda:

Reactions: Dark Link, TerraKnight and 28142
Yup, I'll be totally for it. (As long as I can have both my laptop and computer running at the same time and they'll both count :p)

Yup, I'll be totally for it. (As long as I can have both my laptop and computer running at the same time and they'll both count :p)
I think it will. You can try it yourself to see if both are added to the total.

Reactions: TerraKnight and 28142
Dangit @SpookHuntress you done it again.

But on a real note, it sounds like a fine way to earn pc and I'd do it... even if my cpu hates me for it

Reactions: TerraKnight and 28142
Someone mentioned if it was possible to use a website like coinhive with Ninten Pedia, so that they can use their CPU to support Pedia or earn Play Coins (can't remember which one it was) :panda:

I'm posting this thread to see how many people will be interested in such a thing :cool-pika:

How it'll work :

Hermione Granger selects an option (yes or no option to choose when to enable/disable) to join the miners group. When Granger uses Pedia, the coinhive script will load on her page and the longer she stays on Pedia, the more Play Coins she'll earn. It's another alternative to posting for the people who wanted it.

I'm not sure if I'll award Play Coins or have some sort of special random giveaway yet for our miners.

So yeah, how many people have decent computer CPUs and like the idea? :redpanda:

Depends on what would be considered a "decent" CPU. Also, would it be something light or heavy, because I've heard about those coinhive scripts on some websites that like to take a measurable chunk of your CPU time (worst cases being roughly 75% if I recall) for mining. But yeah, I see no objection against it.

Depends on what would be considered a "decent" CPU. Also, would it be something light or heavy, because I've heard about those coinhive scripts on some websites that like to take a measurable chunk of your CPU time (worst cases being roughly 75% if I recall) for mining. But yeah, I see no objection against it.
I haven't really tested it out yet but @SpookHuntress mentioned there's a way to set the usage, but let's say you enable it and you're having issues. You can always disable it. Also uncertain how good of a CPU you need.

Maybe you could make it so that all the mining is done on one special page on the website, and have each member to a unique link or something that would credit earnings to them. (Kinda like how the VPN Windscribe does it - Read)

Besides play coins, rewards could be stuff for the emporium, coupons, perks, etc.

But I like the idea very much. :p (Also, if supposedly you can stack earnings on different computers, would there be a limit or point in "abusing" the system? Because sometimes I leave like 10 computers at the school computer lab to mine for stuff, which I found out are left on through the night :p)

Maybe you could make it so that all the mining is done on one special page on the website, and have each member to a unique link or something that would credit earnings to them.
The problem with that is leaving that specific page open for long periods of time. To me that is kind of annoying and I might forget or eventually stop doing it. You have to do it for a month at least to make it worthwhile.

If you're alright with it, it can be arranged tho.
But I like the idea very much. :p (Also, if supposedly you can stack earnings on different computers, would there be a limit or point in "abusing" the system? Because sometimes I leave like 10 computers at the school computer lab to mine for stuff, which I found out are left on through the night :p)
That's fine. You can even have multiple tabs open on the same computer according to @SpookHuntress.

It might be good, but I never did something like this so there have be something to teach me it

So it's kind of like cryptomining, except instead of using your graphics card for Bitcoin it's your processor for Play coins?

Count me in honestly, I have an Intel Core i7-6700k, and I haven't been using it to it's full potential honestly. This is probably just me though, cause I'm pretty sure not everyone here has a supercomputer laying around.

So it's kind of like cryptomining, except instead of using your graphics card for Bitcoin it's your processor for Play coins?
Yeah and it's monero (can't find a similar legit site for bitcoin).

I like this :D

says cool

I want to test this out for a week to see how it goes.

To enable it, go - https://nintenpedia.com/forum/account/preferences

Find "Enable Mining", select "Yes" and then hit the "Save Changes" button. You can go back to the page whenever you want to disable it. It currently uses 70% of your CPU so let me know how it goes after a week of browsing Pedia.

Edit: You might have to disable AdBlock or whitelist it on your anti-virus (since I'm using the direct javascript URL other webmasters silently abused to get coins from their traffic without them knowing).

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikaya

How it'll work :

I always have Pedia open on my phone rotfl

I might consider to test the mining for a moment, even though I might not have the feature on most of the time, because at times I might need my CPU to do other stuffs like gaming or video work.

Reactions: Dark Link and Marc
Marc, do you know how much PC should we expect to get by mining? Like what's the approximate rate per unit of time or I don't know how is that calculated?

Reactions: Mikaya
Marc, do you know how much PC should we expect to get by mining? Like what's the approximate rate per unit of time or I don't know how is that calculated?
Can't say for certain right now. So far it has only earned 3 cents (and that's including me mining before setting it up on the site).

I turned it on for a few hours... no juice. Not sure if an antivirus or something is blocking it but nothing seemed to happen. I turned it back off and went back to practicing speedruns.

I turned it on for a few hours... no juice. Not sure if an antivirus or something is blocking it but nothing seemed to happen. I turned it back off and went back to practicing speedruns.
Depending on the anti-virus you use, I guess you can manually whitelist files/links/etc.

This is what you'd be looking to whitelist :
Code:
https://coinhive.com/lib/coinhive.min.js
Or at least limit it to Pedia if possible because you'll likely want to block it on other websites that do not inform you about it.

Alternatively, you can go here and hit start whenever you want to use it (I think this is the AdBlock free version) - https://authedmine.com/media/miner.html?key=vyt9HYQiJHhRn57Qf6O8cnjigrJ3xIMT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back