Your Joy-con can now have a D-pad with this $30 mod

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Unfortunately, the joy-con does not come with a D-pad and Nintendo is not offering a version of it that supports it. For those who have missed it, a company is offering a mod to make a D-pad on your own. The downside is, you have to install it yourself with a huge risk if something goes wrong :(

It's a little pricey at $30 US :

vZrCyif.jpg

3tEhbz8.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/BASSTOP-Translucent-Controller-Replacement-Electronics/dp/B076SJV32D/

What do you think? Will you get it or wait for Nintendo and hope they offer a solution in the future?

Though it did have a D-pad and yes that is cool

Knowing Nintendo I know they probably will continue by not making new systems but new joycons, and doing the new joycon with longer battery time or something idk

Though it did have a D-pad and yes that is cool
Nah. It has joysticks :

35Cqobd.jpg

Reactions: Mikaya
I doubt Nintendo will simply fix/revise this in the future (or if they do, it won't be simple as putting a D-Pad in) because of the intent behind the current design: it's meant for individual use as well as together with the other Joy-con, meaning it needs to have that button design in the event it's used on its own.

Despite that, this is an interesting mod that would certainly have its own perks. I'd definitely see it being used as a pair of separate Joy-cons that you'd use only for single player gameplay.

Reactions: PrimordialMew24
What are directional buttons if not a segmented D-pad? (I'm in favor of it honestly, I wouldn't inadvertantly hit down while hitting left when I'm player two.)

Reactions: PrimordialMew24 and Pandaxclone2
I doubt Nintendo will simply fix/revise this in the future (or if they do, it won't be simple as putting a D-Pad in) because of the intent behind the current design: it's meant for individual use as well as together with the other Joy-con, meaning it needs to have that button design in the event it's used on its own.

Despite that, this is an interesting mod that would certainly have its own perks. I'd definitely see it being used as a pair of separate Joy-cons that you'd use only for single player gameplay.

My thoughts exactly. Nintendo does seem to be rather independently minded when it comes to making and doing their own thing.

What are directional buttons if not a segmented D-pad? (I'm in favor of it honestly, I wouldn't inadvertantly hit down while hitting left when I'm player two.)

I'm with you on this. I too am digging the new configuration of the D pad. If people truly miss the D pad the pro controller has it, but it's kind of expensive (not too much more really than an X Box One X or PS4 controller) at about $70.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pandaxclone2
I'm drooling over that Gameboy Color style joy con

gameboy-color-konsole-clear-atomic-purple-tetris-linkkabel-e.jpg

Reactions: Toasty-senpai
Is it really that hard to just make your own one and stick it on?

Doesn't bother me at all.
I wouldn't risk taking it apart if nothing was actually wrong with it. I like the purple cover though, and might be tempted to buy a spare set of purple joy-cons if official ones were available. Although I have a pro controller and the texture of the d-pad feels weird and I did wonder if I could get something to go on top of that.

the reason why the joycons dont have a regualar d-pad i believe is becauseif you want to play pokken or mario kart or something that uses the joy cons sideways than it would be awkward to use like they're buttons i believe

Reactions: Pandaxclone2 and Farhaan Raja
Back