Apex on the Switch Review PT. 2: Updates and Final Thoughts

• Thread starter phofufury
  • Start date
phofufury

phofufury

idk
Towns Folk
Here's my first review:
Apex Legends just released yesterday. It is about 25 GB to download, and with good Internet connection, takes about 1 hr and a half to about 2 hrs to download. If you download this game rightaway, there is a special gift waiting for you. You can receive a Legendary Outfit for Pathfinder. You will also receive the first 31 levels of the Battle Pass. I am not sure on how long this deal will last, so if you want, be quick about it!

Graphics: The graphics are actually pretty good for the Switch. You do have a few smudged looking aspects of the game, but overall, it's not bad. The guns look great, and the characters havn't lost much, if any, details.

Mechanics: The mechanics are the same as other consoles, very well made. The sliding is great, the shooting is fantastic, and the overall aspect of the loot and abilities are very good.

Gameplay: (Disclaimer, I have not played Online yet, only got to try out the practice. PT. 2 will include the Online Play.)
The gameplay is really good. The shooting feels great, the sounds are really good, and the weapons are satisfying. The abilities are nice, but depends on which Legend you like the most.

Controller Buttons: This is my least favorite part of the game. For shooters, I normally change my button mapping. I do not like clicking the sticks to run, but for Apex, it seems like this cannot be helped much. Normally, I use the Left or Right button to sprint, but in Apex, those buttons are for your abilities. For your super, you can press both L and R to trigger, however, since I changed my sprint to R, I will have to click the Left stick to use my Pings. That means I had to click L and Left Stick to trigger my super. That does not work well at all. Hopefully I can figure out the button mapping, as it is a little hard to configure it.

Beginner Level Friendly? Somewhat. This is a competitive game, so you will have to watch guides or tips and tricks to get a better understanding. If you know your way around FPS's, then you won't have much difficulty starting out in this game. Hwoever, if you are new to this genre, then watching some guides will help.

Overall Mechanics and Graphics of the game: 8/10

PT. 2 will cover more of the gameplay, and give the final score.

I finally got to try out online mode, I played quite a lot of matches, so here goes my final review!

Updates on the Graphics:

Before, I only played practice. Practice was set in a smaller version of the world, so there wasn't much to see. I stated before that the graphics were not bad for the Switch, but now that I played the Online mode, I change my mind a tiny bit. Once you are in a bigger world, the graphics tend to decrease a bit. However, the characters and guns do not loose their graphics, they actually look really well on the Switch. Once Skydiving off the airship, the world may look a bit blurry, and the meshes may look a little mashed. Once on the ground, it looks better, though the meshes are still a bit blurry and mashed.

It seems to also be the same graphics in Handheld mode and TV mode. In other reviews, they say it is best to play in Handheld mode, as TV mode may bring out more of the ugliness.

apex-legends-comparaison-nintendo-switch-vs-ps4-pro-58969-1668.jpg

Character Graphic comparison: PS4 Pro Vs Nintendo Switch - Nintendo-Master.com

Online Play, Crossplay:

Apex Legends introduced crossplay back in October of 2020. Normally, there is a battle against PC Players and Console Players, however, in my experience, I did not get frustrated over anything that was unfair. I have gotten many eliminations, and it is not much about accuracy, but more of the strategy. There are plenty of ways to sneak up on players, even if they are PC players. Much of my matches however, were filled with Switch Players as well, so it seems that PC Players may not be so dominant.

This game also runs 30fps on the Switch.

Online Play, Teams:

The Teams are OK in this game, as it is better playing with friends you know for better communication. Most matches I played with random players, they did not have their mics on. What I do not like is that they do not have a dedicated solos, at least for now. The only way to go solos is either Duos or Trios and take off "fill teammates." This does put you on a disadvantage, however, I managed to get into the top 5 several times while solo-ing a Trios and Duos.

Updates on Controller Binding:

I have figured out a better set of my controls than before hand, however, it does limit you to some things. They way I have it set up is where I run with R and emote with clicking the Left Stick. That leaves me to not really emoting much, although this game has a different way of emoting. There are not really any dances, so I am fine with that. My Super is L and down button on my d-pad, which makes it a bit slower. With the default of Super being L and R together, I can run and do my Super. With my custom controls, I have to stop running, and while standing still activate my Super. In my opinion, they need to allow to to bind buttons in a way in which a button can hold two commands. For example, some games allow you to jump with B and crouch with B. They do this by a clever command. Press B to jump, and Hold down B to crouch. This would make button mapping easier in Apex Legends.

Any Missing Game Modes:

Everything is here on the Switch just like on other consoles. They have not taken anything out.

Cosmetics and Legends:

There are four different currencies. There are Apex Coins (only buyable with real money), Crafting Metals (can be obtained through Apex Packs, which you can get for free buying leveling up or buying with Apex Coins), Legend Tokens (which can be obtained by leveling up) and Heirloom Shards (which can be obtained only through Apex Packs). You can craft cosmetics with the Crafting Metals, or buy them with the Apex Coins. Legend Tokens can be used to buy the Legends and Shop Exclusive cosmetics. Apex Coins can also be used to buy the Legends. Heirloom Shards can be used to buy Heirlooms.

These micro transactions seem pretty fair, as with other games you can only buy cosmetics with real money.

Final Thoughts:

Apex runs surprisingly smooth on the Nintendo Switch, with graphics being moderately OK at times, and nothing seems to be taken out on the Switch version. If you love to game on the go, and you love Apex Legends, then this would be the best option!

Game Play Score: 10/10

Graphics Score: 8/10

Final Score: 9/10

(BTW, I believe you have until May 4th to get the free P.A.T.H. Skin for Pathfinder for the Switch launch!)

Reactions: Deepak and Mizunil
Back