Question about gold points.

• Thread starter Crowing
  • Start date
Crowing

Crowing

World Ender
Towns Folk
Alright. Simple question here, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer online. Or at least, within the small amount of time I actually went out of my way to search for an answer, but what I found was confusing anyway.

I recently purchased The Princess Guide, a game which came out in 2019, and redeemed gold points from it. This would be around one and a half years after its initial release date. I know all redeemable games have an expiry date in this regard, wouldn't redeeming gold points from a game like this prove games are redeemable up to at least one and a half years?

To be exact, I believed it was a limit of two years, but all I found said it was only one. Something about how you've got another year to actually use them after that. I don't know, the only game that passed the date was Diablo III, which I got around the same time as TPG and I know for sure that was more or less a launch title for the system.

Finally, to the point...

How many years does it take for a game to no longer be redeemable for gold points?

Because, from my experience with past knowledge - I recall Nintendo issuing a news statement on it during the Switch's second year anniversary - as well as my recent purchase of TPG, I'm pretty sure it's two years. Why does it say only one when I look online for answers?

If anyone can give me a definitive answer, that would be appreciated.

I didn’t know this tbh, but this is what I found from looking it up. From my understanding, some countries give you 2 years to redeem points, while others only give you 1.

I always thought that it was 1 year, but that seems to only be true for select countries and regions. I’ve linked some screenshots I found around the questions providing more info/proof.

4692A95D-2D7F-4AED-8C80-0B114EF5B47A.jpeg
D8D5ECCD-057D-448D-A90D-5D4F60DC25C5.jpeg
BE94A0D1-3E96-4E32-A6F9-2040FB8CAF81.jpeg

Reactions: Jisenku and Dark Link
I didn’t know this tbh, but this is what I found from looking it up. From my understanding, some countries give you 2 years to redeem points, while others only give you 1.

I always thought that it was 1 year, but that seems to only be true for select countries and regions. I’ve linked some screenshots I found around the questions providing more info/proof.

Ah, that's good, then. I'm in the UK. Would the region be determined by the cartridge or account in this case? Would the amount of gold points change or only the expiry date?

Then again, those questions would be more simple to find the answer to. Region differences is enough of an answer to my question. Through this, I could much more easily find information surrounding it, would need to check by region instead of a general search like I'd been doing.

Thank you for your help.

Reactions: Jisenku, Duffy and Mizunil
I Know it depends on both the region and the game. Same games you can't do it at all, some games the developer sets the limit. It's very hard to predict. And the start date is the official release date (including for digital, if a game get's a physical release later then the digital).

Back