There has been some talk around the Internet about Nintendo rolling out a new firmware update for its 3DS gaming consoles. Today, Nintendo lived up to those expectations. A couple of minutes ago, I turned on my Nintendo 3DS XL and noticed that there was a firmware update available. Of course, I upgraded to version 6.0.0-11U because I wanted to get it out of the way and I wanted to see what additional features it introduced.
What’s new in the Nintendo 3DS Version 6.0.0-11U Fireware Update
Save Data Backup Feature:
If you own a digital copy of a 3DS game and you purchase the physical cartridge of the same game, you can begin where you left off from the digital copy of the game. Basically, you can now back up saved game data from digital Nintendo 3DS games.
Improved system stability and usability:
The system update also included improvements to the overall system stability. In addition, other minor adjustments have been made that aims at enhancing user experience, according to Nintendo.
More information about the update :
- The following, which were included within previous system updates, are not included with system menu versions 6.0.0-0U through 6.0.0-4U:
- New features for the Nintendo 3DS Camera
- Content for StreetPass Mii Plaza
- System Transfer between two Nintendo 3DS systems
- The following, which were included within previous system updates, are not included with system menu versions 6.0.0-0U through 6.0.0-1U:
- Addition of Internet Browser
- Addition of Nintendo eShop
- System Transfer from a Nintendo DSi or Nintendo DSi XL system
European and Japan region Nintendo 3DS consoles will receive an update for the system’s Plaza software. The new StreetPass Mii Plaza will include a Check for Updates icon, Exchange Booth, Shop, and Play button. In addition, European and Japanese users will receive The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword and Xenoblade Chronicles puzzle pieces for their 3DS.
New games can now be purchased and downloaded from the eShop. These games are; Streetpass Squad, Streetpass Garden, Streetpass Battle, and Streetpass Mansion. These games reward players for achieving certain goals – rewards include new hats and plaza tickets. Plaza tickets can be exchanged at the Exchange Booth for new Mii accessories.
This content will be making its way to North America at a later date.
How to update to the latest firmware version on a Nintendo 3DS :
Follow the instructions below to update your Nintendo 3DS firmware version :
- Switch on the Nintendo 3DS or 3DS XL.
- From the home screen, select System Settings (toolbar icon).
- Tap on Other Settings.
- Navigate to the 4th tab, and choose System Update.
- Agree to the terms and follow any instructions if provided.