In every Pokémon generation, shiny Pokémon have been considered quite precious by trainers from around the world. Even though shiny Pokémon don’t serve any extra purpose in the competitive battling scene but they’re considered a valuable possession nevertheless.
There are different methods to catch shiny Pokémon in different generations but there is one very easy method that completely newbie friendly and works almost every time. This method is known as ‘Chain Fishing’. Yes, you need to fish for shinies, literally.
Below is a list of things that you need to start chain fishing in Pokémon X and/or Y.
– Pokémon with the ability “Suction Cups” should be the first in party
– Pokémon that knows the HM Surf
– Any fishing rod
Tip: Octillery is a Pokémon with the ability “Suction Cups” and it’s also able to learn the move Surf. I personally use Octillery for chain fishing.
– Find a body of water and use Surf. Now, find the rocks, what you need to do is find a spot for fishing that’s covered from 3 sides and open from only 1, this is where you will fish. Check out the image below to understand what kind of spot you need to find. You will notice that it’s covered by the rock and the land on 3 sides. This is what you need.
– Before you throw that Rod in the water, make sure that you’ve Deselected all your key items including the Bike. You need to Register the desired rod that you want to use, Old Rod, Good Rod, etc only one should be registered.
– Here’s the tricky part, press the Y button to throw the registered rod. Suction Cups will make sure that you always get a bite. When you grab a bite press A, you’ll know you got a bite when you hear a ‘ding’ sound and see the exclamations, as shown in the above image.
– Now, when battling the Pokémon, don’t battle it at all. If you kill it the chain will break. So, just Run. Also, don’t save the game during chains because that will also break it, even moving your character will break the chain. So, just focus on fishing and running/fleeing from the battle until you encounter a shiny.
– Normally, it takes 40+ tries to encounter a shiny but sometimes it can take less or even more. The key here is consistency. I chained a shiny for the sole purpose of this guide and I caught a shiny Magikarp in 29 tries. I used a counter app on my phone to keep track of the tries.
And, here’s the Shiny Magikarp that I caught. I even caught a shiny once at 93 tries, so it really depends on your luck.
That’s all you need to know about the Shiny Chain Fishing method in Pokémon X and Y games. Hope you find it useful in your Pokémon journey.