Is the New Super Mario Bros series good?

• Thread starter Farhaan Raja
  • Start date
Farhaan Raja

Farhaan Raja

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
After the release of Super Mario World, there wasnt another mainstream 2d mario platformer for years. This was probably due to the sudden 3d gaming craze (pretty much everything was 3d including Donkey kong).

The next time a 2d mario game was created was New Super Mario Bros for the Nintendo DS, and it was a return to 2d mario platforming. The game featured classic powerups such as the fire flower and super star, and even a few new ones such as the mega mushroom and the blue shell.
Did I mention the game was an absolute success? Over 30 million copies were sold and even to this day is the best-selling game on the ds.

Later on, New Super Mario Bros Wii was released which featured four player co-op and even more powerups. It also featured brand new levels and an epic final boss.

...then New Super Mario Bros 2 for the 3ds was released! It did many new things such as... as... wait what did it even do?
Sure, the game had new levels but that was a given as it was a sequel. It did feature this whole gimmick about collecting coins, but all it meant was that you had 72 lives by te end of world one...

Then New Super Mario Bros U came out and this did... what? A gamepad gimmick that allowed you to be a troll by placing blocks in front of people? And a Tanooki leaf rip-off...?

And don't get me started on New Super Luigi U...

Point is, do you want to see another sequel for the Switch? It could be could and would have multiplayer right out of the box thanks to the joy cons... but at this point the series in really uncreative...

You... You did play those last three games right? Just because those other NSMB games had gimmicks, doesn't make them any bad. (You also haven't elaborated your frustrations of NSLU, care to explain?)

The only thing NSLU boasted was getting rid of mario and a really cool physics engine (plus nabbit the rabbit being playable and a whole plathora of 8-bit luigi easter eggs). But other than loads of new levels, what did it actually do new? People were really getting bored of the series at this point and it felt like a cash grab.

Although I will praise the Wii U games for their colour palletes. The game looked so bright and colourfull... yeah

Admittedly, I dont own a Wii U, but i have a cousin that owns it and I would ply the U games at his house. It was fun... and i did like the fact that the acorn could glide... but i struggled to find any other cool new things... Although maybe i didnt play the games enough.

I did actually 100% NSMB2. 1110 lives, all levels beat, all star coins spent and moon coins collected (although i never got 1,000,000 coins)

I was actually playing NSMBwii yesterday, and the multiplayer is as frustrating as it ever was. I had a little cousin who left me scrolled off screen, so i lost my propeller mushroom and my yoshi...

Well, while I don't think a Switch sequel is completely out of the question, I think that Nintendo is trying to reinvent their franchises on the Switch, such as how BotW reinvented Zelda or how Mario Odyssey appears to be trying to reinvent Mario. As such, it seems like a step in the wrong direction to release another sequel to a series that already has so many.

Back